• YES! If the colonists did something wrong they would have got them so Natives should too!

The Natives weren't treated the same as the colonists, just like racism! Everyone should be treated equally the same! People ARE people! The Natives may have dressed different, they may have had different traditions, but that's what makes people who they are! If everyone were the same we would be BORING! So, that's why I think the Natives should be treated equally.

• They should get something back from the pioneers.

Why? Because the natives got treated badly so the need to get a thing back in return for their trouble also to have more resources. Their trouble is war and sickness from the French and the English so it was war. The sickness and war. 99% of the natives were wiped out.

• It wasn't fair that the English made them do whatever they wanted and killed them off.

Because would you want to be treated wrong in the first week with in meeting them .Don't you think that that's not fair and they should be repaid for not getting their respect back .Also get what ever they wanted and should take an advantage of the English. That's how they should be treated.

• Compensate Native Americans

Reparations are the way to compensate Native Americans in the ways our system did not for common law torts and crimes committed against them by agents of the government and by persons protected by our legal system: false arrest; false imprisonment; assault; battery; trespass; conversion; robbery; wrongful death; pain and suffering; and murder. Today countless persons enjoy the fruits and benefits built upon those wrongs. Those wrongs have always been matters that one could seek to redress in our courts and the only form of civil justice ever provided has been monetary compensation. But access to that civil justice was never meaningfully available. Just as segregation was deemed a badge of inequality by our supreme court, the failure to redress these wrongs stands as an enduring oppression, insult and defamation against Native Americans.

• Reparations are due to the rightful owners of the land.

Reparations to Native Americans has nothing to do with "the color of skin". It has to do with the trillions of dollars the United States as gained from land and resources stolen from the original people. The treaties through which this land was gained were false. There are high rates of alcoholism, addiction, and poverty rates on reservations. The alcoholism and addiction results of the poverty, which is a result of the relocation of a population to less resourceful lands.

• @No, Native American people should not receive reparations.

That whole argument is a perfect example of why they should receive reparations. There's not many alive now because of what my ancestors did. Alcohol was introduced to them by my ancestors. We committed genocide on a race of human beings not that long ago...ending in the 1800's. They put their money into casinos because those particular states make it lucrative for a group of Individuals who was almost made extinct i.e. cutting them deals that anyone in their position would take...it's a business deal.

• People Who Are Owed Should Receive Reparations

People downplay the extent to which groups who are owed because of their ancestors are still affected by it today. Poverty is passed down just like culture. This is their land, and I do think that full Native Americans should receive reparations. Had Native Americans been paid for the land that was taken from them, their statistics might very well be better and not suffer low college educated population, high rape statistics or high alcoholism. At least 2 of those are associated with poverty

• Yes to Preserve the Integrity of the Federal Government

Only because the government made guarantees the were not honored. By paying reparations the US government regains some of its integrity. Reparations should be paid to the extent that they attempt to honor the original agreements in some form. If the government had insisted on unconditional surrender then we would owe the Indians nothing. This is why we do not owe reparations to the descendent of slaves. Slavery was legal at the time and once it was made illegal the government did not sponsor slavery.

• Yeah why not

Sure why not i mean it seems like a good idea but sure why not aa bb cc dd ee ff gg hh ii jj kk ll mm nn oo pp qq rr ss tt uu vv ww xx yy zz and now i know my abcs next time sing with me.

• No No No No

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

• No, Native Americans should not receive reparations.

No, I do not believe that Native Americans should receive reparations. The United States has been a founded country for nearly 300 years. To say that the current generations of Native Americans are disadvantaged is disingenuous at best. I don't believe that anyone born should have privilege over another, just because of skin color. Paying current generations of Native Americans reparations is racist, unfair, and unneeded.

• No, Native American people should not receive reparations.

No, I don't believe that Native American people should receive reparations. This may sound like a harsh stance to take, but the era of reparations for Native Americans is long gone. In today's America, there are not many Native Americans alive that can honestly claim that they have faced unfair persecution and expulsion from their home lands, as this was the norm a long time ago, long before the 21st century. Also, although Native Americans have received reparations in the past, it seems that the majority of it goes into casinos and other similar buildings, while the many Native American reservations remain dirty and crime-ridden, with alcoholism also being a major problem.

• Reparations in general are ridiculous

Nobody DESERVES reparations for what happened to their ancestors, nor does anyone deserve to give reparations for the actions of their ancestors. It's causing innocent people to be punished for the actions of others (their ancestors). It doesn't make any sense. I realize native americans still are a discriminated group in our society, but they don't really deserve to be paid for Europeans kicking their family off their land hundreds of years ago

• Equality means equal

Why not give reperations to all citizens who have been wronged. I think reperations weaken their nation. It seems that with a higher rate of poverty, alcoholism, and suicide it would be in the best interest to take away these entitlements and put them under the same umbrella as the rest of us. Otherwise you might as well give reperations to the Irish, mexicans, african americans, asians. All who were and are enslaved or treated badly in history.

• ...For How Long?

Enough is enough! Alcoholism is being funded by your dollar. It is rampant w/in their locations.
    Get over our "invasion" .. How well would they have gotten along without all of our advancements?
    They should welcome getting into the mainstream of American. They have a level playing field ....
    If they want it.

• They are not the ones who went through it. It was their ansesters.

In the Holocaust the survivors received money for their troubles but the Indians today should not get it. If anything the united states should have given then money a long time ago and shouldn't have let it drag on till this day. It is too late to do that for them.

• No one is entitled to 'reparations' because of their race

No one should be entitled to 'reparations', i.e. other people's money, simply because of their race. While many Native Americans have it difficult today, others are very successful. History is complex, and everyone's ancestors -- including Whites -- suffered hardships and injustices at some point in time. People should be judged, helped, or rewarded as individuals, not by their race.

• No No No No

• They don't deserve them no more than I do, or anyone else who faced injustice in the past does...

I'm a person of a very mixed back round. I have African ancestors, Irish ancestors, and some Jewish I assume, (given the origin of my last name). All of those groups faced injustice at one time in history. Africans were enslaved, and so were Irish people, and so were Jews (and the Jews received the worst of it when 6 million of them were murdered because they were Jews by Nazis). But, I never faced those things. Never have I ever been discriminated against, faced bad treatment due to my ethnicity, nor, anything even close to the kind of persecution my ancestors faced, and, I can make a safe bet and say that Native Americans of today haven't either, unlike their ancestors. So, just like how Germany nor Ireland nor America owe me anything, America doesn't owe anything to the Natives of today who don't go through what their ancestors had in the past. America did owe a lot to the Natives it treated so harshly and unjustly, but...Those Natives are dead, and can't be given anything, and it won't solve anything to give to what you owe dead people to people who are alive and never had faced what those diseased had.
    Africans enslaves other Africans and sold them to the Europeans...Do African countries owe African-Americans reparations?
    Arabs and Northern Africans enslaved Europeans in the Barbary slave trade and Arab slave trade...Does Saudi Arabia or Egypt or Algeria or Libya need to pay reparations to Europeans living today?
    Think about it...While Europeans were still in Europe, Natives fought with each other, and killed each other, and took other tribes lands...Do Natives owe other Natives reparations?
    No, the answer is no, of course. No one owes anyone anything for what they never did, nor someone else never went through nor experienced. America doesn't owe the Native Americans of today any dime, not even a penny, for, the Natives of today weren't treated like the ones of the past were....
    Does anyone see any white boy giving a smallpox blanket to a Native girl today.... How about a village being burned...A Native woman being raped by settlers.....No?....Didn't think so. ;)

• No, it won't help them...

I know Natives have faced many injustices, and much harsh treatment and discrimination, and certainly things we all wish we could all go into the past and take back and keep from ever happening, but, we have to accept there isn't anything we can do for those who had faced those terrible things, and giving the descendants of those people who hadn't gone through the same harsh treatment, or anything close to that of which, money, or anything else, won't help. The Natives of today don't need entitlement programs that keep them dependent on the government, and keep them in poverty - and the Natives that did face injustices are dead, and we cannot pay back what people did to them, and there is nothing to be done for them, they are dead, and gone. It's a sad truth, that Natives filled with resentment about the past can't seem to accept. The past is the past, let it go. And, that is saying a lot from a person like me. My great, great, great, great Grandmother was an Irish slave. She faced things I can't even dream of, but, I don't deserve anything from anyone because of what happened to her, or other Irish slaves of the past.
    The past is the past, let it go. Besides, it's not like the Native Americans of today are being kicked off land, and killed left and right, being raped and infected with diseases.