• YES! If the colonists did something wrong they would have got them so Natives should too!

The Natives weren't treated the same as the colonists, just like racism! Everyone should be treated equally the same! People ARE people! The Natives may have dressed different, they may have had different traditions, but that's what makes people who they are! If everyone were the same we would be BORING! So, that's why I think the Natives should be treated equally.

• They should get something back from the pioneers.

Why? Because the natives got treated badly so the need to get a thing back in return for their trouble also to have more resources. Their trouble is war and sickness from the French and the English so it was war. The sickness and war. 99% of the natives were wiped out.

• It wasn't fair that the English made them do whatever they wanted and killed them off.

Because would you want to be treated wrong in the first week with in meeting them .Don't you think that that's not fair and they should be repaid for not getting their respect back .Also get what ever they wanted and should take an advantage of the English. That's how they should be treated.

• Compensate Native Americans

Reparations are the way to compensate Native Americans in the ways our system did not for common law torts and crimes committed against them by agents of the government and by persons protected by our legal system: false arrest; false imprisonment; assault; battery; trespass; conversion; robbery; wrongful death; pain and suffering; and murder. Today countless persons enjoy the fruits and benefits built upon those wrongs. Those wrongs have always been matters that one could seek to redress in our courts and the only form of civil justice ever provided has been monetary compensation. But access to that civil justice was never meaningfully available. Just as segregation was deemed a badge of inequality by our supreme court, the failure to redress these wrongs stands as an enduring oppression, insult and defamation against Native Americans.

• Reparations are due to the rightful owners of the land.

Reparations to Native Americans has nothing to do with "the color of skin". It has to do with the trillions of dollars the United States as gained from land and resources stolen from the original people. The treaties through which this land was gained were false. There are high rates of alcoholism, addiction, and poverty rates on reservations. The alcoholism and addiction results of the poverty, which is a result of the relocation of a population to less resourceful lands.

• @No, Native American people should not receive reparations.

That whole argument is a perfect example of why they should receive reparations. There's not many alive now because of what my ancestors did. Alcohol was introduced to them by my ancestors. We committed genocide on a race of human beings not that long ago...ending in the 1800's. They put their money into casinos because those particular states make it lucrative for a group of Individuals who was almost made extinct i.e. cutting them deals that anyone in their position would take...it's a business deal.

• People Who Are Owed Should Receive Reparations

People downplay the extent to which groups who are owed because of their ancestors are still affected by it today. Poverty is passed down just like culture. This is their land, and I do think that full Native Americans should receive reparations. Had Native Americans been paid for the land that was taken from them, their statistics might very well be better and not suffer low college educated population, high rape statistics or high alcoholism. At least 2 of those are associated with poverty

• We need to pay for our wrong doing....

We have damaged their homelands. We left them stranded in reservations and made the do forced labor. We have done enough damage and injustice to them we stole land that wasn't ours and shaped it into ours. Plus, half of the natives we killed! With the diseases we brought over so this would be fair as much as we say the past is the past. But past can affect future.

• The government should refurbish back to the Native Americans

The government made multiple treaties to pay them yearly. Because the Native Americans moving to reservation so the European and Asian Immigrants can live on their land. In 1851 the U.S government held a conference with several local Indian tribes and established the Treaty of Fort Laramie. Under this treaty, each Native American tribe accepted a bounded territory, allowed the government to construct roads and forts in this territory and pledged not to attack settlers; in return the federal government agreed ed to honor the boundaries of each tribe's territory and make annual payments to the Indians. Which didn't last long. So they should repay them for not following the treaties that they created.

• Yes the Native Americans deserve reparations

Yes the Native Americans deserve reparations but I do not believe that they deserve land. They deserve money over land for multiple reasons, although we stole what was theirs we can make it up to them by paying for the stuff that they need, we may not be able to give them back what our ancestors got taken away from them but we can fix it by helping out with the needs they will have to have, whether it comes down to an education or even paying for their homes, food, kids etc… If we’re to give them money they would be able to use it for child education, In article native american reparations written by Chris McGreal written Friday 4th may 2012 saying “The investigator visited on Oglala Sioux reservation where the average person lives on about $7,000 a year less than one sixth of the national average” This evidence shows that they only get $7,000 year which is way less than the average person, which also shows they have absolutely no money to pay for an education. They would also be able to pay for jobs on their reservations. Senator obama said the same thing he stated ¨ That involves investing in early childhood education, fixing the schools in those communities, being willing to work in terms of job creation and job training. Those are serious investments.¨
    Some might argue…. That land could help them get back what they “deserve” but if we're being more practical If we were to give them land it may not help them much as money would they can use the money they have towards something more useful than land such as even buying land or providing for themselves according to a website i found states “ Simply put, budget cutbacks and governmental policies have made it hard for many Native Americans to feed their families.” Here it shows that land isn't going to practically put food on their plates it's not going to practically give them the things they need to take care of themselves it's just not going to help them as much as money could, Land is just one thing, but money can branch them into many different things.

• No, Native Americans should not receive reparations.

No, I do not believe that Native Americans should receive reparations. The United States has been a founded country for nearly 300 years. To say that the current generations of Native Americans are disadvantaged is disingenuous at best. I don't believe that anyone born should have privilege over another, just because of skin color. Paying current generations of Native Americans reparations is racist, unfair, and unneeded.

• No, Native American people should not receive reparations.

No, I don't believe that Native American people should receive reparations. This may sound like a harsh stance to take, but the era of reparations for Native Americans is long gone. In today's America, there are not many Native Americans alive that can honestly claim that they have faced unfair persecution and expulsion from their home lands, as this was the norm a long time ago, long before the 21st century. Also, although Native Americans have received reparations in the past, it seems that the majority of it goes into casinos and other similar buildings, while the many Native American reservations remain dirty and crime-ridden, with alcoholism also being a major problem.

• Reparations in general are ridiculous

Nobody DESERVES reparations for what happened to their ancestors, nor does anyone deserve to give reparations for the actions of their ancestors. It's causing innocent people to be punished for the actions of others (their ancestors). It doesn't make any sense. I realize native americans still are a discriminated group in our society, but they don't really deserve to be paid for Europeans kicking their family off their land hundreds of years ago

• No I do not believe they should continue to recieve benefits.

I was born and raised for 24 years in Farmington NM right next to the Navajo reservation. Growing up I hated that the consequences and peoples general view of modern native Americans receiving benefits are extremely inaccurate, based largely on movies and old history. The navajoes recieve very hefty checks every month for simply existing, free college education, free medical care. There is rampant racism and segregation in my area, alchoholism, and entitlement factor on their behalf. For example many businesses place "Navajo owned and operating for over 75 years" on their businesses as a symbol of "native pride". However if I said "white owned and operated for over 75 years" I would be convicted of racism or hate crimes. The bottom line is the system in place perpetuates a double standard on any other race. While in high school I worked tirelessly for a scholarship to go to college while knowing many of my peers are garunteed one by being native is just one example of the breeding resentment other races gain while living first hand near modern native Americans. Economically allowing someone a life of free handouts and benefits removes their incentive to do anything at all when they live in luxury in some cases for doing nothing at all. The financial drain on our country is massive and something very few Americans outside of native populated areas know about, we have paid our debt to them and our current system is an insult in the face of racial equality.

• Reparations have been paid in full.

How come we must continue to pay these reparations? If it was not for them losing land to begin with, we wouldn't be where we are today as a nation. In fact if we didn't take over they would still be riding horseback as main transportation. We wouldn't have had the industrial boom, we wouldn't have manufacturing lines that disappeared and went to China. I think that over all the time they have been paid reparations has far exceeded the amount that is due. I am sorry, but this current generation hasn't lost a thing. If anyone needed reparations it was their ancestors but that was many generations ago. It's time to stop digging ourselves into a hole further in debt. Besides places to buy tax free tobacco and Casino's there isn't much other contributions they have provided as far as advancing civilization goes. Oh and this whole WHITE GUILT crap must stop, because like I said we already paid our dues generations upon generations should not be responsible for a debt we never created. Soon you will start reparations for African Americans too, what a joke might as well say that our tax dollars will be paid out to 2 group of people, while your at it might as well start doing reparations for Japanese people in the US since we held them in concentration like camps during World War II. Sorry but this needs to stop.

• Absolutely no it's a completely ridiculous idea

First and foremost the Native American today should not be compensated for something that happened so long ago, while I would certainly agree that the American Indian got screwed and suffered immensely at the hands of the white man as the nation expanded. I believe what happened was enivitable , once discovered this continent was going to be overrun and conquered is was just a matter of by who and when . Just as the Mongal hordes in Mongolia or the Vikings plunder and pillage, the Norman conquests etc etc.
    It wasn't just us , there were the French , British, and the Spanish empires all plotting to claim North America and once the Europeans established colonies here the Native Indians days were numbered and fair or not the Indians could not do anything to stop the relentless tide of technologically advanced races greedily taking their land by any means necessary. It's unfortunate that's for sure but humans have been conquering and slaughtering each other since the first hungry cave clan killed their rival clan to acquire better hunting grounds.... The stronger take and kill
    and the weaker die ............ Another sad chapter of The human struggle to survive..!!

• No No No No

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

• They don't deserve them no more than I do, or anyone else who faced injustice in the past does...

I'm a person of a very mixed back round. I have African ancestors, Irish ancestors, and some Jewish I assume, (given the origin of my last name). All of those groups faced injustice at one time in history. Africans were enslaved, and so were Irish people, and so were Jews (and the Jews received the worst of it when 6 million of them were murdered because they were Jews by Nazis). But, I never faced those things. Never have I ever been discriminated against, faced bad treatment due to my ethnicity, nor, anything even close to the kind of persecution my ancestors faced, and, I can make a safe bet and say that Native Americans of today haven't either, unlike their ancestors. So, just like how Germany nor Ireland nor America owe me anything, America doesn't owe anything to the Natives of today who don't go through what their ancestors had in the past. America did owe a lot to the Natives it treated so harshly and unjustly, but...Those Natives are dead, and can't be given anything, and it won't solve anything to give to what you owe dead people to people who are alive and never had faced what those diseased had.
    Africans enslaves other Africans and sold them to the Europeans...Do African countries owe African-Americans reparations?
    Arabs and Northern Africans enslaved Europeans in the Barbary slave trade and Arab slave trade...Does Saudi Arabia or Egypt or Algeria or Libya need to pay reparations to Europeans living today?
    Think about it...While Europeans were still in Europe, Natives fought with each other, and killed each other, and took other tribes lands...Do Natives owe other Natives reparations?
    No, the answer is no, of course. No one owes anyone anything for what they never did, nor someone else never went through nor experienced. America doesn't owe the Native Americans of today any dime, not even a penny, for, the Natives of today weren't treated like the ones of the past were....
    Does anyone see any white boy giving a smallpox blanket to a Native girl today.... How about a village being burned...A Native woman being raped by settlers.....No?....Didn't think so. ;)

• No, it won't help them...

I know Natives have faced many injustices, and much harsh treatment and discrimination, and certainly things we all wish we could all go into the past and take back and keep from ever happening, but, we have to accept there isn't anything we can do for those who had faced those terrible things, and giving the descendants of those people who hadn't gone through the same harsh treatment, or anything close to that of which, money, or anything else, won't help. The Natives of today don't need entitlement programs that keep them dependent on the government, and keep them in poverty - and the Natives that did face injustices are dead, and we cannot pay back what people did to them, and there is nothing to be done for them, they are dead, and gone. It's a sad truth, that Natives filled with resentment about the past can't seem to accept. The past is the past, let it go. And, that is saying a lot from a person like me. My great, great, great, great Grandmother was an Irish slave. She faced things I can't even dream of, but, I don't deserve anything from anyone because of what happened to her, or other Irish slaves of the past.
    The past is the past, let it go. Besides, it's not like the Native Americans of today are being kicked off land, and killed left and right, being raped and infected with diseases.

• They are dumb

They lost fair and square. First off, they are Asian immigrants. They settled the land when the land bridge was here. God did not give it to them like jews and israel. Every culture goes to war with another culture over land and resources, its pretty much a natural thing. Natives were a bunch of cultures at one point going to war with a different tribe. Well, Europeans showed up as a different culture and took their land and resources via war, trade, and worse off, making law binding deals (treaty) that drag on until today. Indians are lucky to such a thing. Most cultures or nations at that time that lose in war get nothing except a new citizenship.

raygen.black says2017-02-17T15:17:07.577
Yes, the Native Americans should receive reparations. Our government has done wrong to the Native Americans and we need to fix it. If you have ever seen a native american reservation you would know that it is an awful place to live. Senator Obama said in an article I read, the schools for children are falling apart. With the money we give them they could make those schools a safe place to go and learn at. Also he said the money could be used toward paying better for jobs. Parents need money to take care of their children and the money we give them could help a lot. If we give them money it could be used to make so many improvements in the reservations. We need to do something about the native american reservations that are falling apart right in front of us, and the answer is money. Some people think we should give the Native Americans land because that is what we took from them in the past, however if we give them money it could be used towards many more things than just money.