Should non-black people be in Lion King productions?

Asked by: SegBeg
  • There's no logical reason to exclude them

I'd like to start off by first pointing out a similar "poll" asks the same of casting non-whites in Les Miserables, to which 100% (at the time of writing this) have agreed that there should be. It may be a story that takes place in Africa, but there isn't any actual people, so I'd say whilst it is an "African Story" it's not a story of African people. It is nonsensical to be offended that a non-black person should portray an animal in a play.
    Additionally, in response to CatherineMorland the back lash against Hermione's race is far more reasonable (and I still believe it to be a tad silly) as she was already portrayed by the white Emma Watson. Also nice job taking the conversation from "non-black" to complaining about white people "tak[ing] everything for granted" and "inclin[ation] to believe themselves superiority[sic]"
    Finally, a significant amount of the original cast for the 1994 movie were white, so whilst that's apparently fine, the casting of the musical somehow is a problem.

• There is no reason they shouldn't be

• There is no reason they shouldn't be

• There's No Reason For Them not to be

• I think they should be.

I have no problem with non-blacks being in Lion King. Race is not essential to the plot. Yes, Africa is a continent dominated by black people, but who's to say non-blacks cannot be in it? All that matters is if you are a good enough actor or not. Like I have said before, if race was crucial to the story then it would not be wise to change the race of the character as it would confuse the whole plot and make it look messy but Lion King is not one of those stories so anyone can be in it. You can be white and be African. You can be Asian and be African. You can be Hispanic and be African. Race does not matter at all. I'm not going to be like those racist jerks who are like, "hey(insert race here) people, stay out of my musicals! Be in (insert musical here) where you belong!" No. As long as the person is the best actor for the job, I am fine with it!

• White people suck

White people complain about a black Hermionie, so someone should complain about white people being part of Lion King. White people take everything for granted and are inclined to believe themselves superiority. Where does this superiroty come from is a better debate question.... To be honest, I am very curious

• It's an African story

In general, casting should not be influenced by race, however this is an African story about African culture. It is artistically inappropriate to colonize the play with European actors/actresses. OMFG they are telling me how many words to use I can not believe this--it is pathetic to do that, I say.