Should Northern Ireland join the Irish republic?

Asked by: ChrisF
  • Birtisth scum blow ins

Irish settlers were here first and they had the right to their own land and their own country. But england came in and took over, in this day and age they hAve returned all but some of their former kingdom yet they haven't returned NI to the rest of the republic

• It definitely should.

For me being mostly of Irish heritage myself, I've liked to study the country. I've went there on vacation for about 3 months before college, and liked it. I never understood why northern Ireland wasn't a part of the Irish Republic in the first place. I think is was to tell Ireland, that the British still had some control (no offense if you're British) maybe. I don't know how it could hurt to have them join.

• Yes Yes Yes

Northern Ireland is Irish land stolen by the British imperialist power. This land has been oppressed by the disgusting British military which has harassed people living under tyranny just for being Catholic. No matter what British propaganda will say about Northern Ireland being "British" is one hundred percent bull and should not be taken seriously.

• Ireland should be united.

Northern Ireland is a part of Ireland. It's right in the name. The UK has no right to keep Northern Ireland. After almost 800 years of English/British conquest and rule of the island, it's about time that Ireland finally be united and free. In addition, the union of Northern Ireland with the south would put a stop to most terrorist activity in Ireland, with the exception of terrorist groups that support union with the UK.

If anyone is interested I'm open to debating this topic.

• Economic reasons mainly

Reunification would bring a potential €36 billion increase to an all-ireland economy, so why would you not support it???? Also unionism is undemocratic and inward looking and has no place on this island, as well as that the UK doesnt really care for northern ireland so what other option do they have??

• Economic reasons mainly

• Yes!!!!!!! Yes yes yes!

I think most irish people would really like the rest of the country back.
    But if most people in NI would rather stay in the UK, then that's okay. They can keep Northern Ireland then. 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚.? IRELAND IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!! Have a nice day! Jhgv jgfcgcjf jytfjgyf jyfffcyj jugfgyfj jghtjgyv

• Britain Has Ruled Them Long Enough

Throughout British history, Ireland (particularly the Irish Catholics) has always suffered at their hands. Of course, things are not as bad as they used to be, but generally, they're still looked down upon by the rest of Great Britain.

The only reason the Northern Irish protestants want to remain with the UK is so they can continue their dominance over the Irish Catholics. This is hard for me to say, because I myself am protestant, but this is true.

Besides, I don't think anyone from America should say that another nation that wants to leave the British empire should not be allowed to do so.

• UK's history of "colonization" aka "occupation" needs to end.

Born in the States, dad's family 2nd gen Irish. I may be 'removed' from my Irish roots by location, but never by lack of tradition until the passing of my great grandparents. I've always been aware of the British "need" to have their flag fly everywhere they can plant it, including here in the States (An attitude we've inherited- see our history with a slaughter of the Native Americans). Even without Irish roots I'd support IRELAND "taking back" their land and resources, preserving their culture and traditions, and being a part of the modern world. Britain and their "royal family" hemorrhage money, and cling to antiquated visions and policy of their past that harm the country. If the people living in northern Ireland want to be Britains living in Britain, they should move there, otherwise they should be Britains that chose to move to Ireland. That said, both sides need to get their shite together and realize that life would be a little more pleasant with less violence and more tolerance. Pretty soon you'll be like the States- you've destroyed all the natives and created your "vision" for your country, but now you're full of violence and hate, destroying your country from the inside out with not a clue as to why you're doing it or what your end goal is.

• The U.K. Is a joke and full of imbreads

The U.K. Is full of imbreads. If only Northern Ireland and Scotland would wake up! Every1 in the uk is slaves to the imbread family of kings and queens. They take their money and doesn't do anything! F*ck the queen I hope her and her family burn in hell for generations!

• No, and the reason

Is that the majority of people in Northern Ireland want to remain with the United Kingdom. The fact that the Eire unionists want to force people to be a part of a country they have no desire to be a part of shows that the Republic of Ireland is just as imperialistic as Great Britain ever was. Perhaps even more than Britain was.

• No it shouldn't.

Quite simply its people want to stay with the UK. A poll run by the Northern Ireland Life and Times survey showed us 73% wanted to remain in the Union. Also you only need a glimpse at the Irish Republic to see it is an economic disaster. Granted the UK is in a mess but it is in much better shape than Ireland. The majority of people from Northern Ireland see this.

• Ireland has no say

Ireland and their goddamn Sinn Fein party are trying to take ofer Northern Ireland just because they're salty that NI didn't want to join them after independence. The UK is wealthier, more powerful, progressive (not a Catholic run state), and provides many kore opportunities for the Northern Irish. If NI rejoins, the IRA will just slaughter all the Unionists that remain.

• Because the republic of Ireland is in shambles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• The majority in Northern Ireland including many nationalist voters do not believe there is any advantage in Unity

What benefits will unity bring please only include practical issues in your response no hairy fairy Irish for the Irish or past British /Irish history Oliver Cromwell or the like. Talks cheap but can the Republic keep the Northern people in the way it's been used to they have enough trouble of their own without paying for the North as well. Also no suggestions that Britain should pay for unity for the next 25 years please as this is non starter.

• Ye ye ye

Ye is so nice i love ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye is very nice ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye ye did i mention ye

• There would be war.

The protestant social structure in northern Ireland is anchored in tribal exclusivity. There are formal and informal structures ranging from church run organizations for the young to fraternal societies and also to armed paramilitary groups. All are extremely defensive of their British status. A lot are military trained. For the most part they are happy to be Irish when abroad. BUT at home a siege mentality kicks in. They will fight to the death to defend the right of Freedom of political and Religious worship which they believe wouldl be reduced under an Irish Republic still largely influenced by the Roman Catholic Church. In the current climate the only way Ireland could reunite as one country would be to rejoin the UK. There would still be a war though. Best left alone with the status quo I think.

• Republic of Ireland is a terrorist state

The Republic of Ireland has supported and protected the murderers of innocent Protestants. Within the Irish State the Protestant population has descriminated against from the state was founded. De Valery stated. Ireland a Catholic Irish State of a Catholic Irish people with a Catholic Irish culture, we know there are Anglicans, Presbyterians, Methodist and others. We will tolerate them.... Not much room for equality there? Each time the Catholics start a terror campaign they always Massacre Protestants. Just check the history if the population. In County Cork during the early 1900's Protestants equaled 10% of the population yet they were 6 times more likely to be killed, injured or have their property destroyed. During the 1970's -80's In County Fermanagh the same occurred against innocent Protestants. So why would they want to have a union with such people or state... William Gallagher murdered a Police Sargent in Strabane during the early 1970's he fleet Northern Ireland and went to the Republic. The British wanted him extradited. In court Gallagher admitted he had killed the police officer. Claimed he was born in Ireland and was Irish and his offence was political. Irish courts set him free and stated he was Irish and could not be extradited as his crime was political. When did it become political to murder Protestants. If the Irish Constitution afforded Gallagher protection because he was born in Northern Ireland then it should have afforded his victim and his family protection as he was also born in Northern Ireland. The Irish turned their own Constitution on its head to protect murderers who did not even recognise the Irish State. And did nothing for the victims if IRA death squads even though the victims did not want to be part of the Irish State, they still recognised the Irish Republic as a legitimate state... Again why would Protestants want to join with the Irish State?