Should not agreeing with homosexuality be considered homophobic?

Asked by: bekind
  • How do you do that?

What does it even mean, (not) to agree with homosexuality?
    Homosexuality isn't a person that makes any claims whatsoever, so how can you agree/ disagree with it?
    Now, if you mean, whether you think homosexuality is okay or not.
    Then yes, if you do think it is not okay, you are homophobic.

• Being against homosexuality is just another form of saying you're homophobic

The definition of homophobic is: Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gays. Therefore disagreeing with homosexuality in reality is considered being homophobic. If I disagree with Christianity am I not just stating that I believe my own beliefs to be superior? And if I say that blacks don't deserve to vote is that an indirect confession of racism? Of course. By just disagreeing with homosexuality in general is another form of saying you are homophobic. But the question if being homophobic is right or wrong is a whole other argument.

• When you consider

An other person's sex life (which is none of anyone's business) then yes It seems that way to me. I think when a homophobic person thinks of homosexuals they think of sodomy. When I think of homosexuals I think of commitment, devotion and love, and we all know the world needs more love. What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality. I think the sexually repressed people worry to much about other peoples sex life and this worry is a reflection of there own. I don't like the word "phobic" it implies fear, when in fact your just being a bigoted A-hole.

• Because the statement makes no sense.

How do you "disagree" with a concept? Homosexuality exists. It is a fact of life. It isn't a political philosophy or a religion; there is no reference to a political stance. You can disagree on individual ideas, like legalization of gay marriage or civil rights for gays or even the legal status of "sodomy". But disagreeing with "homosexuality" is like disagreeing with the Moon. It's just a dumb statement. If you believe that homosexual behavior is a sin, or you think it should be illegal, or any similar stance, just be brave enough to say that, and not say something that makes you sound like a bloody idiot.

• We are not homophobes.

I am sick of disagreeing with gays and voices my opinion and being called homophobic. We don't call people who disagree with being straight hetrophobic! Why should we be called homophobic. If we don't like gays, we don't like them. It is not gonna do any good to call us homophobic. I am sorry. I think it is unnatural to be gay. That does not make me a homophobe.

• Not by the word's preordained Definition.

Homo = Homosexual
    Phobia = "A phobia (from the Greek: φόβος, Phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is, when used in the context of clinical psychology, a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational."

Homophobia = Irrational Fear of Homosexuals or Homosexuality.

Homophobia- Fear of sameness, monotony or of homosexuality or of becoming homosexual.

Phobia has nothing to do with aversion or dislike. Only fear. Any definition that adds those things is merely a perversion from the actual definition that is preordained in the words Latin Roots. Disagreeing with it and hating it aren't the same either. Disagreeing with homosexuality is not the same as fearing it.

Besides, name calling like that is only ever used as Ad Hominem.

• No hate not homophobic

I have realised recently that many who simply say i do not agree with homosexuality are considered homophobes. Surely everyone has the right to their own opinion as long as there not being hateful towards people. Please explain your answer so i can understand why people who simply say "i do not agree" are considered homophobes

• One should not be demonized for having a philosophical difference of opinion.

It's an infantile premise to negatively attempt to affix a label on an individual simply because of philosophical differences. It is okay to disagree and people NEED TO BE free to choose what they deem as good or bad, correct or incorrect. You can certainly debate the issue.
    But it's beyond wrong to demonize someone for choosing a different philosophical worldview.

It stands to reason that the world is a diverse place with varying philosophical worldviews. It is incumbent upon each individual to make choices about how they want to live their lives and whether we agree or not, we need to respect every individuals right to live according to the dictates of their own conscience.
    The problem is not that. The problem is when people come together to form unions or societies. What compels people's gravitational pull towards each other is shared values. Or their "common unities", hence the contraction community.
    When you form a society and establish it on certain principles based on philosophical tradition, values and beliefs and then inject into it a multiplicity of competing philosophies then it stands to reason that disharmony naturally follows.
    Every society is bound to define who they are and what they stand for and then to respectfully defend that proposition unashamedly to a candid world.
    But honestly striving to understand, care and respect people of all walks should be a virtue ALL should aspire to.

• No I Don't Agree ,

Because just because they don't think it's right doesn't mean it's considered Homophobia, my friend feels the same way about me . I'm Bisexual but she doesn't agree with it . Homophobia is when you don't like being around them & hate them for being that way in general .

• Homophobic is an irrational aversion to homosexuals

Based on the dictionary definition, which is an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people, being homophobic is being in a sense irrational. However, some people may choose to disagree with homosexuality with their own sense of logic and reasonable level of rationality. Thus, being homophobic may indeed be disagreeing with homosexuality, but disagreeing with homosexuality doesn't mean you're homophobic.

• Phobia suggests fear, prejudice, or aversion. Some just don't care or don't believe in it. Only a small negligible minority actually hate homosexuals.

The world is not black and white. Not being pro-issue does not mean one is anti-issue. There is plenty of grey area in between. Just because one does not support full equal rights for a group does not mean that they necessarily hate or fear that group.

In the wise words of Obi Wan Kenobi: "Only Siths deal in absolutes".

• Agree to disagree

It's like disagreeing that women should be allowed to work. You can disagree, but only when you actively interfere with their freedom should it be considered bigoted. Like with homosexuals. If someone disagrees with homosexuality whether it be a mental illness or genetic abnormality etc. That's their right. Only when they actively try to deny people of basic rights should it be considered homophobic.

• No, but what do you mean?

You can't agree, or disagree with homosexuality. You can agree or disagree with homosexuals. If a gay wants to f*ck you, you have every right to disagree (and every right to stop him anyhow). If a gay wants to adopt a kid, and you disagree because they're gay, you're homophobic.

• The LGBT should afford the same respect to others as they expect of me.

I do not agree with homosexuality and I should be free to express my views without being persecuted or labelled with names. Isn't this the very right that LGBT advocates have demanded for so long? I agree they should have such a right, and so should I. Everyone should have respect for all and rights must always work both ways.

TheSquirrel says2014-01-13T21:01:47.387
Should not agreeing with african-american be considered racism? This is a dumb question.