Should nuclear weapons be allowed, in case humanity ever encounters existential threats such as warring alien life, incoming meteors of enormous size, or for mining?

Asked by: Tes95
  • Yes, they should.

I think that it is always good to need something and never having to use it, as opposed really needing something and not having such a thing to put to use. Nuclear weapons are no different in this regard. Better to have them and not need them, then the alternative.

• No, we do not need nuclear weapons.

We do not need nuclear weapons in today's world. If aliens come to fight the people of the world, they will be so advanced that a nuclear weapon will not save the planet. We currently have enough ways to mine for minerals and ores that nuclear weapons are not needed for that purpose.

• If Aliens From Movies Came

If movie aliens came we'd be so screwed. I don't think a nuke would do much. I would use it to kill myself so I wasn't... experimented on. And there is a good chance that we wouldn't even be able to get to the nukes to fire them. The aliens might destroy them before they enter our atmosphere to protect themselves.

• No, they shouldn't.

Suggesting nuclear weapons should be used for mining I'm dearly hoping is a deliberate outrage provoker and not a serious statement because that's a terrifyingly misguided concept. As for meteors, we can blow something up without nuking it, I don't think that's a valid reason for them either. The only way nukes are going to get used at this point is if a terrorist gets their hands on one and a means to detonate it, they otherwise sit there to promote mutually assured destruction and nothing else.