• Yes, President Obama should approve the pipeline!

The Keystone XL pipeline would help the economy by supplying more jobs to the United States. Also, by building the pipe line we would be less dependent on foreign fuel, which we can withdraw our troops out of the Middle East. If we can withdraw our troops, that would save the government a lot of money and that would be a start in the right direction!

• Yes, but with environmental safeguards.

Economic development is important, but we also need to ensure that our environment is safe in the long run so that it can continue to yield benefits to us. The truly conservative position is to move forward with development but at a careful and non-exploitative pace so that it is built correctly and safely. It is always better to measure twice and cut once.

• Not worth it

First of all, the environmental affects of this alone should dissuade the President from approving it. It increases the chances of spills while also supporting the US' reliance on oil when we should be moving to renewable energies. If we want to be energy independent, let's use resources that we have an abundance of like water, air, and sunlight.
    The only positive i've heard is that it'll create hundreds of thousands of jobs. Well i read that that number was greatly exaggerated not to mention that all those jobs would just be temporary. And i guess getting oil from Canada counts as being energy independent? It doesn't make sense.

Posted by: WSB
  • No, I don't think we need the pipeline.

I don't think that the Keystone XL pipeline lives up to the hype. I think it's a political football. I don't think that the system is going to have all the positive effects advertised. I also don't think it will create all the jobs or boost the economy as advertised. Many of the jobs created are temporary and will not have a permanent impact on the economy. Developing renewable energies will have a much more positive effect not just on our environment but also on our economy because unlike oil, air will not run out.

• No, we need to stop using fossil fuel across the board

From what I can tell, people who want this pipeline insist that it will lower our dependence on foreign oil. You know what else will? Alternative fuels. Why don't we stop figuring out ways to better use fossil fuels, and instead focus on ways to harness renewable energy? That would bring us both jobs and an unlimited supply of energy, making us an energy superpower without having to depend on foreign anything.