• Burning money, not fat

I agree completely with the argument that the individual below has stated. If Obese people are not going to take the matter into their own hands, and deal with their weight, then why should we have to pay for their lack of motivation? If they are are fine with the health issues that come along with being obese, that's fine, but they should have to pay for them. Not us. I also have a feeling that if they were required to pay more taxes, America would see a decline in obesity, even from those who "can't" control their weight.

• Yes, they cost society more money

Obese people require much more medical attention than thinner, and healthier individuals. If Americans will not allow the government to dictate laws designed to control obesity (soda limit in NYC comes to mind) and they themselves will not control their weight, then they should be forced to pay for the consequences. Obese people take up space in hospitals and cost millions of dollars in avoidable illnesses. Obesity is an epidemic and needs to be controlled, but it will not be until the true costs are associated with it.

• Put down the fork

Being fat is 100% personal choice. If you are fat you are consuming more calories than you burn. Stop eating high calorie junk food and start getting some exercise. Why should the rest of us who take care of ourselves have to pay your medical bills? If it were up to me youd get fined $1000 each year that your bmi increases or stays the same unless you are already in a healthy bmi range.

• Put down the extra serving, or get taxed

Obese people should get taxed for being fat. The tax should be in different tiers based on how over weight you are. Once you loose weight and can manage it for a given time your tax would go down. Once you get under the fat zone your tax would go away. I don't believe we should be taxing food and beverages. It is just punishing the people that have self control and that can eat in moderation. Granted there are a select few that have medical conditions that make them fat. If they do and have a medical doctor provide paperwork stating nothing can be done to fix the issue, then no they should not be taxed. But come on that is a drop in the bucket. Most just need to get off the couch and lift something more than the remote. If we don't fix this issue now, in a few years everyone is just going to be expected to except fat people like nothing is wrong and that it's ok to be fat. When that day comes it's going to become the norm and your going to have an epidemic of fat people. It's already almost there. We should look to Japan as inspiration, since they have passed a fat tax, before they have issues.

• Put down the extra serving or get a tax

• You use the health system so much more. So pay for it.

Obesity is shown to increase a persons use of the public health system, increase their mortality, increase their length of stay in hospital care and require more health services such as diabetic care and mobility services. This puts weight on the health care systems and literally costs billions. Billions of dollars, 100% preventable. You use it, you pay for it.

• We tax smokers, so why not tax obesity?

If you had tried to impose a tax on cigarettes in the 50s, you would have been beaten to death by a mob. In the new millennium obesity is the single greatest contributing factor to illness in first world countries. While I love the idea and would love to see it implemented, there is simply no cost effective means to verify people's weight for tax purposes. And even taxing high sugar/fat foods is ineffective because studies have shown that the vast majority of obese people, even when presented with ONLY healthy food options continue to eat at a caloric surplus. The problem is education, not access to healthy food (which has been proven cheaper to prepare than fast food) or a lack of exercise. People simply do not understand how weight gain works at a biological level. I feel so sad as a guy in my 30s by how few of my peers are at healthy weights. I remember when I was growing up how few fat children there were, but now it seems as if 1 in 3 are obese.

• Why should i pay for problems of the overweight people ?

I am 65 years old, weigh 75 kg and I am 1.8 metres tall. Fortunately I have good genes, but i exercise and eat small amounts of low fat foods. I am very sad when i walk through the shopping centre and see the size of the people who are typical of today. What is the future of the world ? The only way to decrease the size of people is to make them pay more if they want to be overweight. I am paying the same for all services. Airlines should start by charging for your total weight, body plus baggage weight. Skinny people could carry more baggage !!

• Some people can't help it

It is not exactly their fault for eating foods they want. It is just dumb that people think that fat people pay taxes. Look at how the obese people feel. They are already made fun of anyways, and besides, they are still humans like you and me. What about people who have been convicted of a crime. They should pay more taxes. The government is just trying to get more money. How greedy.

• Obese people should not be taxed.

Aside from the fact that many people have thicker bones than others due to genetics, many have an uncontrollable condition causing them to be overweight. With certain needed medications being a known problem to increase weight gain many don't have a choice on whether they're gaining weight or not, and they continue to spend money on the prescribed medication to help another problem needed to be fixed, and then they have to worry about being taxed more when they're already spending more money than the average person on medical expenses? Not to mention the 15% anorexia rate in teens caused by an ideal image to fit societys standards, more teens will develop an eating disorder to stay away from the worry of feeling as if they'll be taxed once they reach adulthood. 20% of teens die from an eating disorder and the percent will drastically increase from putting pressure on self conscious teens feeling as if they need to fit a standard.

• No way!

The government is looking for another way to tax someone. People are obese for many reasons. I was injured on the job, and I have gained a lot of weight because I am limited to what I can do. I used to be very athletic and thin. Now, I am overweight and fighting workman's comp to fix my hand. Just because someone is overweight or obese does not give the government the right to tax or discriminate against them because there could be a reason why that person has a weight problem!

• Obese People Should Not Pay More Taxes

I believe there are a lot pf people that should be paying more taxes than they are, but obese people are not any of those individuals. It is ridiculous to base the amount of taxes you pay on how much you weigh. Obese people should not have to pay more taxes than others.

• We have experienced this kind of stuff all through history

First of all most obese people don't know how to fix their problem and simply need help fixing it....NOT TO BE TAXED! When I say that we have experienced this kind of stuff all through history I mean that with Hitler for example, he started out by taxing all the people who didn't look or act a certain way, after that he started dehumanizing them then killed about 11 million people. Then with the black community in American history we started by bullying them because of their skin color then dehumanizing them until they had no rights and were treated as property. Not only that but women all over the world were treated as property and had no rights just because their anatomy was different. We will begin doing the same thing to people who weigh "too much" according to today's standards and if you think about it today's idea of "pretty" is a woman who fits in size 0 jeans and weighs about 125-130 pounds. So people who weigh 150 could be considered obese. Let's help the obese and not tax them if we want to make a change.

• It is unfair

If fat people are 'taking up resources' then they are already paying for it by having to buy more food ore whatever. Making them pay even more is just plain unfair as we would just be putting an even bigger strain on them and maybe even make them have depression, which might lead to comfort eating and make them even fatter

• No we should not!

What about drug addicts? Alcoholics? They must cost the NHS way more than fat people do. If they were to bring fat tax in then I for one will be done with paying taxes. I am going to be straight down that jobcentre claiming benefits. Why do I work full time funding the holiday camps(also known as prison) and the lazy people who pop a baby out every 5 minutes?! Now for them to add fat tax just because you don't have a perfect body...NO!

• Nonono non on

No no nog, t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t tt t t t t t t t t t t t t t t

• No fat people should not be taxed for being obese

If we do tax obese people because of their size they won't feel like their people they will feel like they are animals. There will be more anorexic kids and parents people feel like their fat BUT THEY ARE NOT. They are so skinny that people on the streets will think are they dieing but no they just want to be skinny. If they turn anorexic their bones will be fragile and might even break easier than if they were fat. So that's why I disagree with fat people should be taxed more.

• Obesity is caused by many things, why tax them if it's caused by weird things.

Look, I'm over weight, lets face it. But why should I have to payer more because of it. I got depressed because of bullying and depression over my child hood. Because I suffered during my child hood, I need to pay for it? Now, if you read this, I just want you to think of that. Think.