Should "Open Source" software, using only census and mapping data, be used to create congressional districts so that we can eliminate Gerrymandering?

• Absolutely. Anything that leads to more fair districts.

I believe that Gerrymandering is ultimately an affront to democracy, and anything that can eliminate it is a good idea. When the party in power decides to redraw districts in order to keep itself in power, all it is doing is diminishing the value of everyone's vote. There should be more fair criteria for determining districts.

• Anything to Bring Back Moderates

Gerrymandering is a way politicians ensure one party wins in a particular voting district. Using any type of mapping software that eliminates gerrymandering is a good idea. Open source maps may help with other ideas worked on by many people to bring about the best possible maps. Every population count will be based on the same census data, just maps will be drawn differently by whoever works on the project if hundreds of people are involved.

• I oppose the use of gerrymandering to set political districts, because representation should not be subjected to the preferences of the winning party.

Republicans re-drew my district to get some of the Democrats out of it. In my case, that caused my voting location to be at a place that is 10 miles away. It used to be a half mile away.

Posted by: NonchalantEnoch53
  • The software is only as good as the census and mapping data.

While it may eliminate direct obvious Gerrymandering, software-based districting puts the trust in software that may not necessarily be accurate. With the current system it can be pretty obvious when Gerrymandering is done. It still gets done but you can usually tell. With the software-based systems all someone has to do is alter the data going in and no one would ever know.

Posted by: KnownEvan