Should orphans be raised by the government to become soldiers?

Asked by: Juris
  • Not adopted, become a soldier.

I don't agree that they should be raised from childhood to be soldiers, HOWEVER, if they are not adopted by the age of 18, they should be visited by a recruiter. The reason for this is once orphans leave the orphanage, they have literally nothing to their name except a bag(most often a trash bag) and a set of cheap clothes. There are intangible benefits for orphans if they do join the military following their expulsion from the system such as a stable job, benefits, and a pension if they serve long enough. The military should start visiting orphanages as prime recruiting sites.

• They should still have a choice

I think the government should adopt children from overcrowded homes, and train them in the arts of being a soldier, but under NO circumstances force them to become one. They should give them the option to, and if they want to serve, let them. We have a lot of orphans that need homes, and this could be a substitute.

• I was a ward of state (orphan) at 3 til graduated

I often looked to the military as a family even at an early age. I can remember at 8 realizing what the military was and always inspired to join. I often asked to be sent to military school and eventually joined civil air patrol at 13. It was an opportunity to prepare for it. Truthfully once we are grown we orphans are no longer cute and helpless. People lose hope in us and often very often we have no where to turn. Many of us on the street, some selling themselves, and in prison or in bad addictions. Many of them friends of mine. I keep fighting on but its an extremely difficult fight. No one to turn to. Government welfare and all that is just the way people who say we should give them same opportunity. If that was true the issues that come after (being literally booted out of your final home) would not happen. An approach that not only helps an orphan by training to defend their country, but also makes them have a family and self worth would be very valuable. I know its hard to think that cute poor orphan may end up in some things you dont like to think of, but believe me the general public could care less when it counts. Once we are out of the system who are we going to turn to? Trust me its a great opportunity and when they have completed a 4 year commitment and decide to go to college then good. At least by then they will have a family to look to for support. I've enjoyed my service and kept me from what has become the norm for a foster child or orphan.

• Yes, can be

They can do this but without forcing, so what am trying to say is when the children turns 18 years old they give them options, we can tell them that they have parent/home, and that home/parent is their country. This is the truth so instead of letting them live their life like a homeless person, we give them a better life to defend their country. But as I said without forcing in both ways physically and emotionally.

• It should be the same as for any other person

We are basing the decision of whether to have someone join the military strictly because they don't have support of a family behind them? By 18 they may have a high school diploma to their name and dreams/aspirations for a career. Likely they have been through more emotional turmoil than someone else and therefore are the worst candidates for more turmoil from the military.

• Absolutely not. No.

Children who are born without parents or loose their parents at a young age should have all of the same opportunities as a child with parents. Some of them may even be adopted or go to foster homes. It's wonderful if they CHOOSE to join. It's a great option and it's something to take pride in.