Should others be allowed to refuse service to homosexuals?

Asked by: Bitch_Goddess
  • Legally, yes. However rude it is still legal.

If businesses lose the right to refuse service towards a certain group it could lead to more problems. It's very rude but it is legal to refuse service, and the government shouldn't be able to force someone to provide a service. To force someone to render service is downright slavery no matter the reason. If someone will not serve someone based on sexual orientation then those who arent served should support a competitor and take their business elsewhere.

• It CAN be legal to refuse

In my general opinion homosexuality is considered a mental illness because we as human are originally born with only two sexual organs thus a third one absolutely does not exist. All of human beings aren't born perfect, all have strength and flaws. Homosexuality is an example of a flaw which CAN be fixed. What i want to underline is that who would, any of you normal people, want to marry a gay guy? In other worlds, who would want to fall in love with a person who has mental illness?

• Churches don't have to

I think that religious institutions don't have to give marriage services, It goes against their institution is the first place. Businesses, I don't know what to choose because yes they should service them but at the same time if it goes against their religion, especially small business where the owner is very close to the issue, then you shouldn't

• It's Called Freedom

If you don't want todo soemthing, you don't have to do it. I'm not saying that no one should o anything nice to the LGBT comunity but people should have th erigh tto chose if they want to be good people or not. If we take that freedom away where will it stop? Will we start to force christans to start thinking that homosexuality isn't a sin? Where does the line of making people be nicer stop and start?

• There's more to it...

Can I just say Bonus66 is a troll or absolute moron before I begin? Good. I think it's important that sexual identity remains equal with religious identity. You can't make a muslim design something for you which denounces Islam. You don't go up to a jew in order to have your 'Jesus Christ' shirt made. You respect their views, because they are just as sacred as sexuality.

If a company denies service to too many people they will simply fail. Let society run its course.

• It is an individual's right to run ONE'S OWN business as they like.

It SHOULD not be done by an employee of an owner/proprietor has every right to run their business as they wish. An individual has one of the most basic rights of choice of action. IF it hurts business, so be it. If it makes the operator feel righteous, so be it.

• Depends on the service.

There are many situations where it may not be appropriate to give a certain service to someone based on certain criteria. For example, religious people should not be forced to do or say anything that would support homosexuality. As in the case that some pointed out in Con. Other situations arise with prostitution in Las Vegas, a prostitute can refuse to service a homosexual and same with heterosexuals. In certain plays or what not, a heterosexual person may be needed to fill a certain role.

In Prisons it is very valid to refuse a transvestite a job, after all, even if the transvestite is considered "female" they cannot have certain jobs residing in the female section of the prison. Same for Females who think they are male, they can't do certain jobs in the male district.

• No. Blatant discrimination of any kind should be illegal.

Whether it be of race, gender, religion or sexuality, this sort of discrimination should never be allowed. Refusal to serve someone on the basis of such thing is not something that should happen. This is the equivalent to the signs on restaurants, before the Civil Rights Movement, that would say "No Blacks Allowed." That is something that can never be allowed to happen again, and now we are facing the same issue.

• Yes we should be able to refuse service to people who we do not feel morally alright to serve

If I don't want to serve you because I believe that homosexuality is a sin and against my religion, I should have the right to refuse certain services such as wedding services and if I don't want to serve you it's my loss of business because there is probably someone who is perfectly alright to serve you on a moral level

• It may be discrimination, but it is legal

From a moral perspective yes it is very bad to do, you shouldn't refuse service of someone based on their sexuality, but from a legal perspective you are allowed to do it if you want. There are no laws that say you can't refuse service of a homosexual person, I'm not saying that makes it right to do, but we live in a country of freedom. You should be allowed to do it if you want, but I still think it's wrong to do.

• Do your job

If your job requires you to provide certain services to the public, then you are obligated to do that, no matter what group the person or people in question belong to. If your job is to provide marriage licenses, then it is your duty to do so, and that includes homosexual couples. And if it is your job to bake wedding cakes for couples, then you must do so also, and to gay couples, too. To deny gay couples a marriage license or wedding cake(as certain people have done) because you claim and/or believe homosexual marriage is forbidden in the Bible is equivalent to not allowing someone to eat candy because you're on a diet.

• It's blatant discrimination, period.

If we allow people to be discriminated based on sexual orientation, who's to say we won't allow people to be discriminated based on personal decisions and choices? What people do with their personal lives is of no concern to yours. If you are doing a job and all-of-a-sudden decide to stop doing the said job because a gay man or lesbian woman walks up to you and you may believe homosexuality is "wrong", who are you to say/do that? What happens in their personal lives is none of your concern. If they have trained to do a job and do that job for others, then the matter of sexual orientation is not for you to judge them by and is in no way something someone should be discriminated against for.

• No obvioulsy no

I believe at this time if it is 'OK' in some sense to discriminate people of different race by not serving them then people themselves who are gay should be able to refuse service, maybe if you stop other discrimination then people like me will stop this sort of discrimination!

• Uh Obviously no.

I support lots of more conservative esc ideas but when it comes to discrimination i think its insane, seriously the last thing that matters is race and gender, and sexuality, it should be illegal to refuse service because of a sexuality just likes it illegal to refuse service because of someone's race.

• Allowing Discrimination creates economic coercion, But messages like wedding cakes should be an exception

If we allow discrimination it creates economic coercion. Then businesses which do cater to homosexuals get to charge more money and people like me wind up having no choice but to spend our money there. This could impact such issues as affordable housing. One only has to look into history and even present day life (in spite of laws, since discrimination can be difficult to prove) to see the impact on racial minorities from discrimination. To this day many people who are racial minorities are poor but live in much overpriced housing.

However, even though I am gay I recognize that a wedding cake is a form of speech. A baker shouldn't be able to discriminate as in they shouldn't be able to prevent people from being customers just because they are gay. However, the baker shouldn't be coerced into speaking/expressing anything he doesn't want to. Actually allowing the baker not to sell gay wedding cakes allows me to 'discriminate' against his business by asking for one and having it refused and then deciding not to go there even for a simple donut (unless I just really love their prices or their pastries), so that's another reason I prefer to allow bakers to refuse to sell wedding cakes. Besides I could always just order a regular cake and put two grooms figures on it or frost our names on the cake, and voila I have a wedding cake.

The biggest reason I want to just let business owners refuse to sell gay wedding cakes is that there are much bigger issues and the intense emotions surrounding this issue distract voters and politicians from dealing with those issues. Issues like climate change, access to health care, financial regulation. Focusing on wedge issues makes people forget these issues, and leads people to vote against their best interests because they are voting based on small issues (both SJW and anti-SJWs are the worst offenders here). In this case the whole "Wedding cake" issue gives people the wrong impression that that's the main reason to have anti-discrimination laws. Plenty of people would support such measures if they were focused on issues like housing or financial discrimination, instead of petty fights over cakes.

It's a distraction, political capital is not an unlimited resource, so let the right have its way on the cakes so we can focus on real issues.

• If you think this, than you have the most broken moral compass ever!

This is kind of similar to refusing service to a Muslim, African American, or anyone else! How would you like to be refused just because you were a Christian or Jew. Pretty bad right? Well try to show a hell of alot more compassion than you already are! The Golden Rule is "Treat Others the Way You Want To Be Treated" or are all of you just stubborn and single-minded!?!

• They are who they are

They are homo-sexual yes but that means nothing they are still human. I thought America was a free country, but if people have the right to do that then America is not a free country like it is said to be. People are suppose to be free not imprisoned. This is wrong so if you say yes shame on you. And don't be mad that i'm saying shame on you cause you deserve it because that's wrong.

• It's just dicrimination

Using "religious ideologies" to blatantly discriminate against someone in a public environment is by no means a sufficient cause for justification. What is the difference between some Christian guy not baking a cake for a gay individual and me starting a cult where blacks, latinos, gays, women, etc. are all viewed as inferior and if I do a favor towards them I go to eternal damnation? Where do you draw the line at what is "sufficient justification"? That's right you can't, consequently, religion shouldn't be justification in the first place, what did you expect to happen when you decided to serve the public? Serving the public means you have to be ready to serve everyone. Otherwise, you should've picked a different job.

Also, is it just me, or is it hilarious how religion preaches compassion yet people of religion discriminate against others.

But hey, picking another job shouldn't be that bad since pretty much all religions are against the accumulation of wealth and since you are suuuuuch a narrow-minded follower, you shouldn't have any problem with that anyway.

Bitch_Goddess says2017-10-21T03:46:29.927
I am going to stop replying to the negative comments (as in those in the 'yes' category) unless I just find it hysterical. Its clear people like that will never understand that discrimination through a race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. is not okay, and never will be. Saying "but it's my right" is quite possibly the saddest thing I've ever seen come from another human being. We all have the right to be assholes, doesn't mean we should be.