Should our society commit to handling the homeless situation?

• We are equal

So what if they don't hold up their rent or get addicted to drugs. Some of the homeless out there are either mentally ill with no help, over run by domestic violence or raised without a home. You cant accuse people for who they are. They are just like you, making the mistakes in life but living through it. Its not humane to watch others suffer without a care.
    BTW that's my opinion and I'm only 14 so if you don't understand what I mean then don't listen to me :o

• YES! We should do something......

I'm advocating we help the homeless, not give them a hand out or a free ride. We need to have resources available to help them get back on their feet. We re-hab people that have been in terrible accidents, why can't we TRY to do the same for the homeless. I'm not suggesting we take funds from other programs to fund this, but what about funds we send to foreign nations...? If we don't take care of ourselves, how can we ultimately take care of anyone else. We are strong nation and we need to stay a strong nation, by taking care of our weak. I do not believe in survival of the financial fittest in this arena. There are many more people 1 paycheck away from homelessness than those that can rest easy on their laurels. It is true, you will always have some that will try to take advantage, but do we punish those who are truly in need for the bad behaviors of a few? I think not. We should be allowed to expect a certain conduct from those receiving help. The courts do this for those re-habing thru the court systems. Welfare has tried to establish some similiar guidelines under which they operate. We should also try to promote awareness of resources available to those in need. Many don't know how to help themselves and can get so down on their luck they can't see the way out of their situation. If you don't know where to go for help and no one will help you, how are you going to have the resources and means to find any available help when you really need it.

• We should Help

1.Its selfish not to help the homeless. You have and they don't have.
    2.Put yourself in their shoes
    3. God's been Good to you, he woke you up this morning so why can't you be good to someone else who needs somebody to be good to them? Think about it.

• Our society should commit to handling the homeless situation.

Our society should commit to handling the homeless situation. Instead of fighting and sending our troops to other countries to fight their battles, they should focus on our own problems at home first. We spend plenty of money to fight wars on other turfs that we could be using to adequately handle the homeless and hungry situation here in America.

• We should help

Many people are homeless because they lost their jobs. Some were evicted illegally or had some type of illness. We might not help them now, but tomorrow you might just become one of them. Then when, if you become one of them, you will then come begging for help. If you say no now, you just might regret it later

• We should help

People on the streets need our help. Some of them are involved in violence that they didn't cause. You need to think of how you would feel if you were homeless and had nothing to go to, nothing to eat or drink, nobody to see or talk to. Please think !

• We should HELP

They are only on the street from a problem they had in life. It is not there fault, so why punish them even more? If you were homeless you would want people to help you so why not help them. It might be you on the street next. Think. Now.

• We need to help our homeless ......

Our homeless are our responsibility as a society. The vast majority of our homeless are unmedicated mentally ill individuals. How can we ignore them and act as though they do not exist blows my mind. We as a nation need to work together to come up with a solution for our homeless.
    Kathy Oliveto
    kathyoliveto@gmail.Com

• Why not support?

Wouldn't you like help if you had suffered a great hardship that put you on the streets? They are people just like you and me and deserve to be treated that way. By saying they shouldn't be helped is like saying unemployment or the food stamps program should stop too.

• Yes, We should!!

Homelessness can be a cause of laziness. That's what the common population views it as, but what we don't see are ALL the other factors that come into it. For example everyone has felt as loss with the economy, more and more people are losing their jobs. And yeah, we say why don't you just get a job a McDonalds? Easy enough? NO! Because when we think of a homeless person we think of middle aged men that beg for money and cigarettes. But how do you think homeless families survive off of a $7.25 and hour paycheck. They have to pay for food, shelter, schooling for the children. This leads to the issue of overly prices apartments. Then natural disaster can play a roll, when people get their houses destroyed when they are already struggling, is that their fault? Another big issue that I have are the number of people with mental disabilities that are homeless. When they are thrown out on the streets when mental institutions close or when jails are too full to pick them up, which that's where the majority of them get placed! And once they're in the jails they do not get proper treatment, therefore they act up and may get even more time in prison. So I do think that we as a community, as a nation, should help one another. Because yes, there might be that stereotypical homeless man that begs for money and cigarettes, but in any social issue that we have there will be ones that cheap the system. But there are also families and children that are homeless, and they DO need help.

• I don't believe that society should have to accommodate for the homeless.

Primarily, the homeless people don't have the opportunities available to buy a home. Something happened to them, economically, and the homeless can't take it upon themselves to adapt to the new economic situation. In a natural setting, those who can't adapt to new situations perish. So, why should the world of housing and business be any different? I say let them live out the results of their situational efforts, regardless of the fairness of it.

Posted by: PuzzledCharles70
  • No way should we handle the homeless, the country is broke!

Why is it our job, that being a tax payer, to give personal resources? We give way too much to those that are able bodied. The government has made it too easy to get something for nothing. We are struggling in a recession because we give bail outs; big businesses all the way down the ladder to over indulged citizens that feel a sense of entitlement. It has to stop.

Posted by: MoaningElroy
  • How many are REALLY homeless?

I work within a system that sees homeless of all types - singles, families, single-parent families, vets without a VA pension, individuals stating they are disabled &receiving SSI, individuals stating the are disabled & not receiving SSI (denied by SSA based on medical documentation), parolees from other areas stuck in this county for the length of their parole. In One single county, I would say maybe 3 of every 100 "homeless applications" are truly homeless. Our tax dollars have not only paid for temp housing at area motels (If fortunate to use only 5 rooms for 12 months, cost to tax payers $55,000 and that's for only FIVE rooms over a 12 month period), and the homeless keep coming. They come because we've paid $1,000+ for security/rent for new housing and the rent wasn't paid since; They come because their family is done with their 'do nothing/pay nothing' presence in their own struggling household and toss them out; they come because the majority of states will not give a single individual 'welfare' when the only one they need to support is themselves yet won't work or even try; they come because last month's boy or girl friend is old news and the public assistance grant won't be enough to cover the rent/heat/elec without the ex's grant, have to be placed in a motel until they make new housing arrangements, usually with another new boy/girlfriend. They come because the VA tossed them out of their rehab program because they unsuccessfully completed the program; They come because the legal system says parolees, sex offenders and probationers have to serve their 'out' time in the county where they committed the offense; They come because they were fired from or quit another job where they didn't work long enough to be eligible for unemployment. They come because they blew the entire SSI check and have no way to pay for rent, utilities, and need to be housed the rest of the month until the next check comes. If we find and pay to get the individual into housing, the first comes and guess what... Occasionally there is a homeless person/family needing help due to a fire but not often. The building being condemned is not necessarily the landlord being remiss - he wants his money - but there's been an increase in places being declared inhabitable due to extreme hazards like animal feces all over the residence, neglect, purposeful damage. We need to ask the right questions. And come up with better answers.

• Why should we clean up their mishaps when we have to worry about are families and daily lives?

Homeless people are not a citizen's duty. We should not be pressured by society to clean up a stranger mishaps. As stated in my supporting headline we have are own families and daily lives to worry about. We can not spend are time to tend to a stranger. When some of us can barely support are needs. Also, homeless people put their elves in that situation we can not be expected to have the money or resources to support an entire group of people. The world is a cruel and cold place and for those who did not take it to heart sorry.

• We should not help

If you really think about it most homeless people use the money their given on drugs and others just lie to get money. Also most homeless people are young, so why cant they get a job to keep their homes. That's why I think they should stay how they are.

• Homeless people might hurt the people.

I believe that no because some homeless people may be druggies on the freeway and may be terrible for our family. So I disagree that the society should commit to handling the homeless situation. Also, I heard that many people didn't help the homeless ones in the freeway so I was thinking that maybe I shouldn't help the homeless people too. So I'll say no to this situation.

Anonymous says2013-08-28T00:22:14.723
Helping the homeless is good if we get them off the streets. I say there should be a program that will helped them on jobs skills. If they have drugs problems in which they do in which they helped for that. They could do community works like cleaning the streets, planting, make the city's more clean, than looking like a trashs if they can do that type of jobs and see what jobs skills they can do. I would like them to get off the streets and get helped then being toss to the streets. It better than getting out of this mess.