Should over-the-counter drugs be valid uses of a flexible health spending account?

• Yes, pain relievers should count.

Yes, I believe over-the-counter drugs should be valid uses of a flexible health spending account. There are many times when a person is in pain or sick, but it's not severe enough to see a doctor, so they turn to over-the-counter remedies. Pain relievers, cold remedies, bandages, disinfectants, and antibiotic ointments should all count as valid uses.

• Yes they should

Yes, I think that over the counter medications should be valid uses of a flexible health spending account. These medications can help alleviate pain for some people, and I believe that is what a flexibile spending account should be used for. It is to help people and also save them money.

• It beats going to the doctor.

Yes, over the counter drugs should be valid uses of a flexible health spending account, because it is a lot easier to go to the store and get a cold pill than it is to go to the doctor ever time you need something. We are smart enough to figure out simple things for ourselves, and we should be allowed to make our own choices and receive payment for them through flex accounts.

• Yes They Should

I believe over-the-counter drugs should be valid uses of a flexible health spending account. This should also include supplies like bandages, antibiotics, even vitamins. All of these things are health related and should count towards flexible health spending accounts. These funds are put back for these expenses, they should be covered.

• Where would the line be?

Money from a FSA/HSA is put there by the individual. It would get to a point where people are effectively no paying tax on the income it costs for their groceries. This isn't the point of these accounts. If I buy my food at WalMart I use my taxed income. Someone else shouldn't be able to purchase different food and use pre-tax dollars. The whole notion is ridiculous.