Should parenting classes be mandatory in high school?

• Yes a parenting classes is a must in high school.

High students should be given a class on how to be good parents. The vast majority of bad people in this world are a result of bad parenting. Everyone has sex, or will have sex. It is natural to have this drive. Sometimes people whom never planned to have children get a unwelcome surprise after sex. It is because of people like this that we need a class at all.

• Yes you should for accidents .

All y'all may not want kids in high school or soon , but y'all is finna change yo mind some day & next thing yanno , you finna be a mom . Who cares if you ain't even thinking about it now , your gonna have one soon . So just be prepared for if you gotta babysit or yanno somethin small .

• Yes you should for accidents .

• Should parenting classes be mandatory in high school?

Yes it should be. Sex is one of the main extracurricular activities in high school. Even if they protect themselves, they can still get pregnant. Even if a student doesn't want to have kids in their lifetime - it can still happen, no matter how you protect yourself, unless you use abstinence. School should prepare each student to succeed in their future. With the growing issue of high school pregnancies, there should be parenting classes.

• Integrated Parenting Instruction Among Already Mandated Health Class

Not all teens plan on becoming parents. With that being said, not all adults plan on becoming parents either. However, for those who unexpectedly do become parents, a basic set of knowledge on how to properly grow and raise a child should be provided in high school to everyone who has the capability of reproducing. Parenting is hard. It is stressful and for many, it is beyond common sense. Despite warnings, a significant percentage of pregnant women continue to smoke and drink. These actions influence the development of the brain in a way that can produce learning disabilities, conduct disorders, or criminal behavior later in adult life. Although many may suggest it is a waste of governmental resources, as a society we need to take a look at the bigger picture: creating a healthy and safe society for future generations. Providing the do's' and don'ts of parenting in high school could potentially lay the foundation for prosocial, future generations.

• For all of you saying that it is a waste of time.

It might seem to be a waste of time, and a waste of tax dollars, sure! It may be true that not all of us plan to be parents in this lifetime. But the fact of the matter is that people do in fact have sex. And sex was not just created for pleasure. It is a means of procreation. It is how babies are made. Even if we are "protecting ourselves", there is no real guarantee that it won't happen to you, or anyone else. As safe as I was, it happened to me. I was 18 when I became pregnant, and 19 when I had him. Luckily, it was towards the end of my senior year, and barely anyone knew. You couldn't tell. I think that the parenting classes should be given to educate these children on the different kinds of decisions that have to be made when you have a child. They should show just how financially stable that you need to be in order to provide for these human beings; as well as how much the cost goes up and up, each and every year. These classes would be so educational, and insightful. And it isn't to scare these kids away from having children, or having sex- but rather to show them what it takes, and what it means to be a parent. The whole point, is for it to be educational. For it to show you that sex does come with a lot of responsibility. It is almost ridiculous to say that these classes would be a waste of time, but the moment you see a young mother or father struggling to take care of a baby, you preach about how they should have been more careful. Or how young men and women cannot properly care for another human being, at such a young age, and that the child will suffer. The truth is, it doesn't always matter how careful you are; when it happens, it happens. And by that time, it is to late too educate these young kids on what it takes to be parents. Sure they might learn as they go. Sure no one is truly ever prepared to have children. And yes, they might making awesome parents. But I'm sure that parenting class might have done more good, than bad!

• Yes please! We need this.

This is 100% what my school (many others also, obviously) need. Personally, I know multiple 15-18 year old young women who have found out they we're pregnant and have absolutely no idea what to do, or where to even start on getting the help that she needs to ensure not only her health but her unborn child.
    This class? I seriously believe we NEED this. Believe it or nor this truly is the way to pave our path to the future, it's teaching us how to raise our young.
    The next generation .
    I would take this class if it was available, required or not.

• It would help us feel sure of ourselves

As a teen myself with many friends who are already having sex regularly, some who stupidly don't even use protection, i think it would be an invaluable class to this generation. We need to learn how to treat children because when it comes down to it we only know what we ourselves were taught from our own parents. Much of this information could be wrong and harmful. It's something that could aid this generation in treating our children the best way we can.

• Not only should they teach parenting classes,They should teach psychology.

Human development, consist of teaching how significant a child's emotional bond with adults are as they grow. How important parenting styles are, How a child's environment affects them and how to develop morals and values. I think if we all were instilled with these skills this world would be a lot better off.

• It will only benefit

Obviously, it is completely up to the person whether or not they wish to become a parent at some point in their life. That being said, yes, I do feel all high school students should be required to take a short parenting class. Maybe a half semester course, just so they have a good head start.

• No because no

The school should not be responsible for teaching teen sexauality or nursing it should be up to the parents also i think that minor parenting classes should be optional for those who want to have an advantage in parenting p.S this is only an opinion thanks for reading sexy babes

• Not in today's schools!

A government developed lesson plan for a class like this (as this would certainly have), whether mandatory or elective, would be forced into political correctness, especially to survive against all of the strong negatives outlined in other posts (e.G. Not job related, not everyone will be a parent, existing heavy class loads, ignored by the most needed, etc.) That said, as an elective, which most are OK with, this would be underfunded and ignored by even more people that truly need this.

However, a class that dared to challenge society, by analyzing the cause and effect relationship of both good and bad parenting techniques and actions, would benefit everyone and should also include tackle being a positive spouse, including what to do when seeing something in public.

Why?

The family:
    This is a bit obvious, and most importantly benefits the next generation (including their happiness, productivity, and hopefully some day the WORLD)

The non-parent:
    Non-parents are the most important to this as they, if willing and trained to, force an unbiased pressure on bad parents to change their ways. As a parent I may be sympathetic to the parent, but we need more sympathy for the child that has, under law, almost no voice (unless it is truly physical abuse, but that is not what we are talking about here, there is already a solution for that, jail!)

The business owner:
    People are more productive when they come to work without the stresses of home (e.G. How to get my kid to behave, how to make my wife listen to me -wrong outlook here-, etc.)

• Not in today's public schools!

Why?

The family:

The non-parent:

The business owner:

• Wastes Time and Pressures Teens

Not only would this class waste time that should be allotted to learning basic knowledge that will help to gain a career to eventually SUPPORT A FAMILY, it also puts pressure on what a happy life looks like after high school: Everyone should grow up to have kids. What if someone doesn't want to have kids? These are teenagers - they should not have to think about raising kids when they are kids themselves, especially when they have other priorities like graduating high school and getting a job. These classes can be offered as electives, but definitely not mandatory.

• Waste of time

School is meant to prepare us for college and careers, and parenting will not do this. Some students might never want kids, and others probably won't have kids for ten years at least. The people who will have kids sooner, are the ones who will probably not be gaining much out of the class.

• Its a waist of time and money

Instead of promoting pregnancy during high school or right after the schools should focus more on course's that will benefit student in obtaining a decent paying job during or after graduation. The economy isn't improving and high school student end up in job like Mcdonald, retail stores or grocery store during or after high school because they dont have the experience required to get a office job or a starting position on there desired career path. Some student have a connection and are able to accomplish these things but others aren't so lucky all they got was a parenting course, when this should be a selective activity after school.

• Waste of time for some kids

What if I don't want kids? What if I never want to be a parent? What's the point then if I'm never going to do it? Then without having to take the class I could focus on other things, I could further my interests there and become good enough to really contribute to the world or the country BUT no they made me take a parenting class instead and delayed or even prevented that outcome(by overloading me with things I don't need and then I wouldn't have confidence in the other subjects).
    Less subjects should be mandatory. If a kid knows what he wants to do with life and wishes for more specialization they should be able to start then in high school and not have to suffer through things they know they will never need before going to college.

• No, they shouldn't

No, I would have to disagree that parenting classes should be mandatory for high school students. I believe that it would be beneficial to have parenting classes, but just to make them available as an elective. Not every high school student is going to become a parent in their lifetime, and this would be a waste of time.

• One giant leap for government

The last thing we need is the government mandating how we raise our children. And honestly, the people who actually need this advice aren't going to pay attention.

Kids that grow up in a good home will get all the parenting advice they need from their parents. Unfortunately, these are not the kids (for the most part) having children while they're in high school.

Mandatory, no. It would be a complete waste of money. Optional, sure. Offer classes after school, or maybe as an elective for those who are not fortunate and do not come from a good home but want to raise their child right.