Should parents be allowed the name their kids whatever they want?

Asked by: ciaranjames
  • Only the most outrageous ones should be banned.

I understand why more outrageous names like Adolf Hitler or Facebook should be banned, but I don't see why Apple or North are problematic (I have known quite a few Apples in my life). Maybe their parents got their name from a divination and believe the name will bring their kids luck. In Chinese (and I'm sure we're not unique in that), there isn't a set 'list' of names from which to choose; names are chosen by their parents and they are very meaningful. They often symbolise the parents' wishes for their kids. Kids should be taught to respect each others' names instead.

• Yes yeah yep

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s yessssssss

• They should be allowed to name their child whatever they want because it is THEIR child.

If a person says, you know what, I`m going to name him Juice because it`s cute, then there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop them. And if the kid hates their name, then they can change it as soon as they are able to. Seriously, are people going to be this picky and say "That`s a stupid name! I don`t like it so I`m going to ban it so I don`t have t hear it anymore!" jeez, people are more stupid than these names.

• No they should not.

They should be banned from naming their kids things like: Pixie, Apple, North, Blue-Ivy, Jaymy-Lee, Alyxx, McKaylee, Zayden, or anything made up or stupid sounding. I for one don't think so I think this can influence how they get treated in later life, what people will think of them and also impact on first impressions, I think stupid, made-up names should be banned and it is ashamed for the child as he/she is the one that lives with it. The child also will hate their name growing up, it will be pronounced wrongly and they will possibly have to spell it out to everyone they meet in future (some names like Alyxx). Parents might think their being ' original and unique ' but their child will be judged and mistreated looked down upon its full life because of this name.