• It's not a want, it's a must.

When I was a kid (not even that long ago, I'm 20) I was beat for just about anything I did wrong. Not anything ridiculous, but if it was something morally wrong then I'd get a whip on the butt. No questions. My brother on the other hand is 5 years younger, never seen the belt or even a finger on him, and you can see an extreme difference in attitudes, even comparing when we were the same age. He's become very unruly, disobeys his parents, is very sassy/rude, and doesn't care who he does it to (parents or otherwise). I swear on my mother's life, if my parents showed half the physical discipline they showed on me, he'd be whistling a different tune. I've become very successful in university, socially, and a very functional/socially acceptable individual. Meanwhile he has become what many would describe as scummy, like a mix between an internet troll and a jersey shore cast member put together. And this is the case across the board with all my friends as well. They turned out much like me, and their younger siblings all turned out like my own with the same factors at play. I'd be hard pressed to believe that it is wrong to beat/discipline your children physically.

• I believe that one hard swat on the butt is okay for some parents.

I would never spank my children, but who am I to tell another person how to raise theirs? A doctor once told me that one good hard swat on the butt can be very effective in redirecting behavior. I do not believe that this swat should ever be given when a parent is angry, and only in very serious circumstances. Honestly, I wish I could have followed my doctors advice and handed out that swat on occasion, but that swat would hurt my heart worse than it would my child's bottom!

• Dont spare the rod

I think parents should be able to hit their kids for punishment as long as it isn't excessive. Three hits with a paddle on your bare bottom goes a long way in correcting a child. While it is not excessive nor leaves bruises, it does get the point across. I believe what the Bible says; Spare the rod, spoil the child.

• Spank yes, abuse no

Proper discipline is in no way abuse, and can be essential in properly raising a child. How many times have you been in a store and seen the child of someone who believes in modern parenting (no spanking, timeouts, etc) talking back to their parent, ignoring everything they say, and in general just being a spoiled little brat? There's a reason for that.

• Its a a very good way to discipline your kids

If you child does not listen to you at least the second time you tell them something or are not behaving good they need to have some skin ti skin discipline. Another reason is that if your kids are not talking to you the way they should and then you tell them to talk to you nicely and they dont listen i doesnt matter if you dont want to they need to learn to do and talk they way you want to. In my opion i think you need to hit your kid for them for them to listen to you because later on the will not listen to you and the will be rebelious.

• Yes they should.

When parents use physical contact to discipline it's not abuse, its a way of teaching kids that they can't just get away with things. Verbal abuse is wrong so you have to have a way to get through to the child that they are doing something wrong. Children don't understand the meaning of abuse anymore and tell people that they are being abused but they actually aren't. Then it creates an epidemic and can ruin a perfectly health family. It's not abusive until you let it become abusive. I want disciplined as a child and i turned out just fine, if anything it made me a better person. Just go about it the right way:)

• Yes they should.

• Children NEED to be hit

A woman asked my boyfriend "why would you ever want kids?" after her 3-yr-old screamed "NO!" at her once when the mother told her daughter that it was time to go home. She is one of those examples of mothers who are either too lazy, too afraid or both to hit her kid and has never done so prior to that. I've watched my cousin, a single mother, repeat herself until 12am to her children on countless occasions and still had to go to work the next day on little to no sleep. Had she hit her kids, they would've listened the first time she said "calm down and go to bed." Because of this, I worry that she'll fall asleep at the wheel of her car and get into an accident (God forbid). These children who are never smacked develop disgusting behaviors and rub it in their parents' faces, thinking that they are the parents instead, who can get away with all kinds of shit! If parents aren't going to hit their kids, then they might has well not have had them in first place. These "parenting methods" that label spanking as "child abuse" result in their children leading lives into crime, drugs, prison and death in their adult years. Again, children in their early ages of life do not have highly developed brains and smacking is the only thing that they understand that you are the best thing to ever happen to them and spanking them doesn't negate that. From the first time your child is old enough to defy, you NEED to hit them because they need to be woken up from this fair-tale dream that they can disrespect the people who bust their asses to provide for them. I've had to remind my cousin's snobby 7-yr-old that pizza doesn't have to be a perfect shape and that some children don't get any food at all. His response, "Stop being mean!" The parent failed to reprimand the kid, of who I would've hit for raising his/her voice to an adult so disrespectfully, had it been my child!! We are babying our children into their teen years and it is setting them up for huge failures. We have these "elite parents" aka "helicopter moms/dads" who think that they can put their hands on your child out of "harm's way" in the playground, then chastise you for not being two steps behind your kid on every playground bars set they climb on. Children brains are not equipped to understand things the way adults do; THEY ARE NOT COMPLETELY DEVELOPED!!!! When asking your child nicely or yelling at them to do something, after asking them nicely doesn't work, smacking them is the only thing that will get them on the right track of a successful life! These "modern" parents' children have no respect for any of their elders and will face harsher consequences in the real world, which could've been avoided had their parents hit them when they needed to.

• Yes you idiot!!

My parents scolded me a lot ehwekojiwp gt;erjdkghs.D glkzdlkjdfbgzdflkgb zfg hbzldfkdfjg dfjglkhdfgljdfhgjlkzd ghjfdh gljzfg hzdlfj ghjhfzjgzfhljjhdzl jghglhzglzdzglz g zdgj hzfdjkghz gzl ghfg jfh gfjg hgf hh h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h . So hence the y should.

• It shows them discipline

I'm saying at the store parents say that they can't spank or yell at their kid in public so they are going to get spank once they get home. But by the time the parent gets home they are not even mad. So, if it is legal to spank/scold their kids in public the future generations will be better and have a better education and a better army/navy.

• I Hate It

I am a kid and I am hit every day. When I get a B, I get yelled at for 3 hours and I get a beating. I live everyday in fear of doing something wrong. It is the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I'm always scared of them.

• Abuse is abuse

Children are not rational adults, so they can't always be reasoned with in the same way. However, we have other means of punishment-- verbal reprimand, taking away freedom, taking away privileges, and so on. Children respond to these sorts of punishments as well. Hitting a child often only produces someone who will grow up to hit their own children.

• Thank you for the most miserable choldhood

As a kid growing up with parents that "spank" you I can honestly say I hate them. It's a fuel to anger your hate torwards them and once you've had enough and hit back its bad? No it's called self defense. I swore as a kid I haterd life. Let's just say if the purge was real I would of killed them before they knew it. Once your anger builds up you lose sight of every single thing around you. Plus what's the difference in getting beaten and multiple spanks. Both of them cause physical and emotioal pain.

• Are you kidding?

This is too stupid to even comment on. Children should never be hit, instilling fear in someone will not make them a better person. You are mentally damaging them if you strike them for everything they do wrong. Thats not how you teach a kid. I can't believe you people sometimes.

• Retarded train of thought:

"It's not a want, it's a must."

Nonsense! You always have a choice. If your brother is being disrespectful regularly, it's because he have experienced a lack of dicipline in general. Beating kids to learn them right from wrong, which is illegal in my country and which in reality nothing but disguised child abuse everywhere else, is not the only way of diciplining kids.

"We learn to respect our parents Personally, I think this is the only punishment that works. "

A stupid thing if I ever heard one. You don't learn to respect your parents, you learn to fear them. That's brainwash, just there.

• No, it's not acceptable

Hitting children makes things worse, not better. You don't teach them why something was worse, you just teach them to be afraid of you which is unproductive from a nurturing and a learning stance. Frankly if you need your fists to get a child to obey odds are you shouldn't have one as your responsibility.

• It is cruel

It said on the news that kids can have health problems on if they get spanked.Plus I hate my parents know because they spanked me.And its just cruel to abuse a child and parents dont understand how us children feel.The paents think theyre so perfect and they think they know everything.Thats why I hate my paents

• Don't lay a hand of them.

Hitting a child can ruin the relationship and cause them to misbehave even more and disobey more than ever. As a child my grandmother would beat me when I was misbehaving. Her doing this would reflect on my mood towards other things. Ever time I was beat I would misbehave more and more. Parents shouldn't be their children ever.

• Discipline or Abuse?!

There are so many other ways to punish a child other than hitting them. Some parents (Some who shouldn't even be parents) take advantage of discipline and just abuse their children.
    I believe that young teenagers are becoming pregnant and don't have the heart to give the child up for adoption. This leads to children growing up with parents not much older than they are, and don't have the maturity level to control them. They feel that hitting or yelling will cause a better behavior, but it truly causes their children to become afraid of the world around them.Yelling is still a form of abuse, and cant emotionally hurt your child. Ever think that a child just acts they way they do because of lack of attention payed to them? That's about 90% of the cause.

• It will ruin your relationship.

Hitting your kids will ruin their childhood and the relationship with that parent, I was abused as a child by my father, and now my mother hits me for trying to defend myself for having an opinion, so now I can't be correct or defend myself without verbal and physical? Children hate their parents in their later life, I know I do.