Should parents be allowed to read daughter's diaries?

Asked by: broken_doll
  • Minors don't have a right to privacy.

The question stated should parents be ALLOWED- there is no real question about it. Parents have the right to examine any of the belongings of any minor child living in their custody. A child has absolutely no right to privacy, under the law or by common sense.

You can certainly argue that a parent SHOULD leave certain things private, but that is up to the parent's discretion and the attitude of the child involved.

• DofWBEUOFBeu qkejhriQEHR IFIapdsHFIO

Jsdfkjdsf ASDfknASD f df d f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f ff f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f

• DofWBEUOFBeu qkejhriQEHR IFIapdsHFIO

• It's at the parent's discretion.

If a parent wants to go through their child's stuff, including their diary, then they are free and clear to do so. If the child, especially in their adolescent years, is acting irrationally, then their diary may provide insight into what they are going through and whether or not they need help.

• Morally, I think its wrong

I think that while this may be a good strategy to see into your kid's life, that it breaks a deeper moral obligation which is to respect a person's privacy. Looking at the greater scale, why is it not OK for the NSA to spy on us if its ok to spy on your children. Obviously legal arguments can be made but the very base of those legal arguments are founded on morality, which is what we should be more concerned with. Also, you run the risk of permanently defaming the child's trust in you as a parent which damages your relationship. People deserve to have their own borders and if you want to peek in those borders you should get to know you child a little bit better instead of spying on them like the damn government.

• Children Have a Right to Write

As a human with her/his own soul, children have thoughts and opinions they aren't always comfortable with sharing. Yet, they need to document and release those thoughts, and diaries are the perfect solution for this. By reading your child's deepest thoughts, you are not only defeating the purposes of a journal, but discourage them from healthily letting their feelings out, which will also follow them into adulthood. This encourages bottling up their emotions from others, possibly leading to destructive behaviors. Do your child a favor, and let them grow without the fear of judgment from who is supposed to be the people she/he could depend on most.

• No, parents should not be allowed to read their daughter's diaries, but there are some exceptions.

This question refers to reading diaries in general. If the parents see the daughter writing in a diary without any problems, it would be rather upsetting for her privacy to be violated without a reason to violate. However, if there is a problem going on, AND the parent has come to them already, the child said no, and there is still something going on, in THAT case would it be justified, because the parents were trying to keep them safe.

• No, Parents shouldn't read kids' diary.

I don't think it's fair if a parent reads a kids diary. Unless you have a concrete reason to look in their diary, you shouldn't. I had a diary as a child and I kept it secret, because I keep all of my thoughts and feelings in there, it was mostly good/happy stuff in there.I sure as hell wouldn't appreciate my parents reading one of my embarrassing entries about my crush, or something like that.

• Never read someone's diary unless their dead

Because honestly how would you feel if your kid read about your deepest darkest secrets and then wouldn't shut up about it , jeez don't be insinsative they got it so they could vent to them self and not worry, but by reading it you destroy their trust and put twice the amount of stress on them

• No more peeping!!!

Even though I literally burned my secret notebook in the fire, since my former friend tried to force it open in front of me and without my permission, I just hate the fact that adults just try to invade our privacy/personal space and are just being such lazy asses for not taking the "true" effort to getting to know us well, without suspicion. They don't have the right to judge us negatively for some little imperfection/fetish that we deeply don't and never will feel comfortable with anyone else knowing about it, no matter WHO they are. Keep your own lives in check you personal border breakers!

Posted by: SCP
  • No more peeping.

• No. I know what it feels like.

My mother decided to read my super secret journal that I keep about my depression. She then took photos, and sent them to her psychiatrist friend. I feel like I can't trust her anymore! I poured out all my feelings into that one journal and now I feel like I can't write in it anymore because she will read it! UGH! Someone help me! Overall, it is an invasion of privacy..

• It shows a lack of respect.

By invading their child's privacy and disrespecting their boundaries, a parent is showing that they don't value their child's right to express their feelings. Not only does snooping create trust issues, it gives the child a reason to hide things from you more in the future. In my opinion, if you want your child to be honest with you, always be honest with them and ask questions. If you can't tell when their answer is a lie, you need to spend more time getting to know your kid, rather than snooping. Most kids are happy to be honest when given the opportunity and when they feel they won't be chastised or lectured about it.

• Minors should not be given privacy

Why. We r young adults. What if i read ur diary if u were my adolescent ? Dont u think u were in dellima too. U had to deal with harmones, grades, relations n parents. Shouldnt i let go even to a piece of paper ? If u read ur kid's diary - YOU ARE THE WORLD'S WORST PARENT.
    Go to hell if u think its right.