Should parents be allowed to read daughter's diaries?

Asked by: broken_doll
  • Minors don't have a right to privacy.

The question stated should parents be ALLOWED- there is no real question about it. Parents have the right to examine any of the belongings of any minor child living in their custody. A child has absolutely no right to privacy, under the law or by common sense.

You can certainly argue that a parent SHOULD leave certain things private, but that is up to the parent's discretion and the attitude of the child involved.

• DofWBEUOFBeu qkejhriQEHR IFIapdsHFIO

Jsdfkjdsf ASDfknASD f df d f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f ff f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f

• It's at the parent's discretion.

If a parent wants to go through their child's stuff, including their diary, then they are free and clear to do so. If the child, especially in their adolescent years, is acting irrationally, then their diary may provide insight into what they are going through and whether or not they need help.

• Morally, I think its wrong

I think that while this may be a good strategy to see into your kid's life, that it breaks a deeper moral obligation which is to respect a person's privacy. Looking at the greater scale, why is it not OK for the NSA to spy on us if its ok to spy on your children. Obviously legal arguments can be made but the very base of those legal arguments are founded on morality, which is what we should be more concerned with. Also, you run the risk of permanently defaming the child's trust in you as a parent which damages your relationship. People deserve to have their own borders and if you want to peek in those borders you should get to know you child a little bit better instead of spying on them like the damn government.

• Children Have a Right to Write

As a human with her/his own soul, children have thoughts and opinions they aren't always comfortable with sharing. Yet, they need to document and release those thoughts, and diaries are the perfect solution for this. By reading your child's deepest thoughts, you are not only defeating the purposes of a journal, but discourage them from healthily letting their feelings out, which will also follow them into adulthood. This encourages bottling up their emotions from others, possibly leading to destructive behaviors. Do your child a favor, and let them grow without the fear of judgment from who is supposed to be the people she/he could depend on most.

• No, parents should not be allowed to read their daughter's diaries, but there are some exceptions.

This question refers to reading diaries in general. If the parents see the daughter writing in a diary without any problems, it would be rather upsetting for her privacy to be violated without a reason to violate. However, if there is a problem going on, AND the parent has come to them already, the child said no, and there is still something going on, in THAT case would it be justified, because the parents were trying to keep them safe.

• No they sould nkt

A diary is something a kid should be able to use without the fear of someone els reading it, it is a place were someone can let their feelings out and still keep it secret and if a parent decides to read their childs diary it may ruin the trust and have kids bottle up their feelings cause they feel that is the only option because they feel they cant write anymore without eyes other than their own looking at the pages so just think before you go snooping into your. Kids personal getaway is this how you want your kids to feel? Kids should be able to say what they want in a diary and keep it secret and talk about it when they are ready instead of having parents snoop through what they thought was something they could keep secret.

• Children deserve privacy too

When someone keeps a diary, it's because they want to get it out, but still keep it private. It should remain as private as it would be if the information was not in there in the first place. Parents should not demand to know every thought a kid has. On top of that, parents are showing that they have a right to do as they wish with their kids. This is abusing their authority. In the end, it will only create trust issues, and the child will feel that they cannot even keep their own thoughts to themselves. How would the parents like it if their kids could see every single thing they wrote and know every single thing they thought?

• It can cause anxiety

If you have to resort to something as low as reading your child's diary, something is already deeply wrong with your relationship. Reading their diary can cause anxiety because the child will be in constant fear of parents bringing up a topic they aren't ready to talk about yet. If you aren't ready to talk about something you aren't ready. When my mom read that I was atheist in my diary I started to have panic attacks whenever my mom asked me questions related to Secular Student Alliance (a club I joined without telling them). I still went to the club and I still am an atheist so what my mom did didn't work. All it did was make me feel fear and resentment towards my parents. This is the argument from a daughter's perspective. We need our space and if you are open minded we will talk to you. Some people may still be in the closet or something and not be ready to tell. It's just unfair to simply out someone.

• No, Parents shouldn't read kids' diary.

I don't think it's fair if a parent reads a kids diary. Unless you have a concrete reason to look in their diary, you shouldn't. I had a diary as a child and I kept it secret, because I keep all of my thoughts and feelings in there, it was mostly good/happy stuff in there.I sure as hell wouldn't appreciate my parents reading one of my embarrassing entries about my crush, or something like that.

• Never read someone's diary unless their dead

Because honestly how would you feel if your kid read about your deepest darkest secrets and then wouldn't shut up about it , jeez don't be insinsative they got it so they could vent to them self and not worry, but by reading it you destroy their trust and put twice the amount of stress on them

• No more peeping!!!

Even though I literally burned my secret notebook in the fire, since my former friend tried to force it open in front of me and without my permission, I just hate the fact that adults just try to invade our privacy/personal space and are just being such lazy asses for not taking the "true" effort to getting to know us well, without suspicion. They don't have the right to judge us negatively for some little imperfection/fetish that we deeply don't and never will feel comfortable with anyone else knowing about it, no matter WHO they are. Keep your own lives in check you personal border breakers!

Posted by: SCP
  • No more peeping.