Should parents be allowed to take away things that you have bought?

Asked by: fasttrack
  • This topic again?

It seems like this question came up not that long ago. The answer remains and unqualified “yes.” Your parents (if you are under 18) pay for everything important. They pay for your food, shelter, health care, and just about everything else. The only reason you have “bought” anything is that they cover all of your expenses. When you take responsibility for all of your expenses then can you say that you have bought something yourself and no one has the right to take it from you. Until that time someone else is paying your way and they have the right take away any privilege even if you “bought it yourself.”

• Legally... They have rights

Legally you are under your parents watch you are 19. (depending on country) and legally they have rights to take away what ever you bought or using. And you have no rights to buy anything that you want to buy without your parents concept, after all if you are young all the money comes from them and they have right to you if you are under 19. Sorry for my spelling

• They Absolutely Should

Unless the parents have no legitimate reason to take it away, then they have every right to confiscate any of their child's items, no matter if the child bought it with their own money. There have been many occasions where a child has bought an item without their parents' consent, items that the parents believe will have a negative effect on the child. This includes, but is not limited to: liquor, cigars & cigarettes, lighters, and cutlery of any kind. Just because you bought it with your money, that means your parents can't save you from committing terrible activities and/or creating harmful habits? Ludicrous! You shouldn't have bought it in the first place!

• Temporarily is right

I agree with Musicrafter. As long as the item/priveledge is eventually returned to the minor child upon better behavior or whatever propted the punishment, I see nothing wrong with this. The only reason the minor child had the money to purchase the item is because their parents pay for everything else.

• As a Minor, yes

Minors (under 18) cannot legally own property in the overwhelming majority of situations. Therefore, the parents are not taking things from their children, but denying them permission to use the parents' things. It is perfectly acceptable for parents to take away items from their children as they own the things being taken.

• Depends on what you mean

No they can't take it away away, as in sell it or something. But they can take it away temporarily (or deny access to it temporarily) for like a punishment. Until you move out or are 18 they can pretty much do whatever they want (as long as it is lawful).

• In your possession

Technically if you have bought it then it is yours. Parents have no right to take away something that is Legally yours since you bought it with your money. Just because they are older than you and have control over you doesn't mean that they get to control all of the stuff you have too.

• Its yours they can't take it

When you buy something with your own money that your earned by working then your parents have no right to take it away. People do not take away things from your parents. Just because they are your parents dose not mean they can take away your personal possessions. Many teenagers pay for their own phones and cars after they get a job parents should not take over their objects. I understand if it was bought by your parents then they can take it away but not if your bought it.

• I'm 17 I buy my OWN

I'm 17 years old and I buy my own things I have a job I pay my own bills and I also pay my sisters my mom does not have the right to take my things she does not pay for my fines and fees at school and I don't ask for money me and my mother really don't get along but as a as a young adult I still respect my mother you feel what I'm saying but I really think that she does not have the right to take away my things that I have purchased with my own money the money that I go to work for

• No they shouldn't

I live with my mom but I always stay with my dad on the weekend I bought a laptop a frw weeks ago my mom took it away and won't give them back ive done everything she asked but she's a bitch im with my dad now and her punishment should only be legible for her house

• No they shouldn't be able to take your belongings

If You bought it, with your money, it's yours. They are technically stealing aren't they? I mean its like saying " stealing is only a crime when it is other peoples stuff but not ur kids. "
    Anyhoo i don't think its ok. It's your belongings and they can't take it

• No, Parents should not

Parents should not be able to take away anything you have bought with your own money from working (Or if another family member gave you money for it, which means it would be theirs) My parents have constantly taken away my PC and all of the I/O's (eg. Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor etc) which was purchased with my own money which took me around 15weeks of work to get my setup.

• No, Parents should not

• They should never be able

My parents love to take away my things. Especially my Dad. Im almost 18 years old and he still takes my phone away every night. I bought a 3ds and am never allowed to play it because my parents took it away for some reason and its been gone for months. I had my volume on my tv at 4 and my parents got really pissed and took my xbox for over 4 months straight. They even took away and hid one of my phones i dont even use anymore. All of these things i have bought with my own money and almost never use. Im almost 18 and am still being treated like im 5 im starting to think my Dad has some mental issue in which he has to take things away. Parents should be able to take things away as punishment from time to time but when your kid is a teenager/soon to be adult taking away things every day is EXTREMELY pathetic

• Parents can't take their child's property ( child older than 18 )

I bought 2 things well including things for the things that I bought .. I bought a PS4 and an Xbox 1 with many games such as Call of duty and a Ps camera and my dad says " You can't take those things when you move out possession is 9 / 10 of the law"... I keep telling him I paid for them and he says it doesn't matter... I spend over 1000$$$ on this stuff I don't think he's allowed to do that can he?

• If it's your money, it's your stuff.

If you have earned the money and bought something with your rightfully earned money, no matter the age, the legal guardians or parents have no rights of access to the items bought by you. If they get to the point where they take it away from you, that is considered stealing.