Should parents call the police on their children?

• Criminal Are Criminals

I do not believe parents should attempt to help their child, if their child has committed a crime. Children should not be taught to hide behind their parents when they are in trouble. If children have done something wrong they should answer for their misdeeds, just as adults do. This is what the juvenile system is for.

• As a last resort

If there is a situation that has gotten so far out of control that the parents feel the need to call the police, then yes, the parents should call the police. The police should carefully then look into both sides however because even if the child is acting out it could indicate a problem with the parent and not the child.

Posted by: jus
  • YES

Not for things like rudeness, or stealing, obviously, but a child (especially considering that even 17 year olds can be considered children) is just as capable of wielding a deadly weapon, acting violently, stealing, planning terrorist attacks on schools and so forth. In such cases, the parent would be justified in calling the cops.

• If necessary

Yes, I think that if a parent is in danger of physical harm, then yes, it is appropriate to call the police on their child /children. Doing so does not make them a bad parent and sometimes it can help the child, if they are on the wrong path. My mother called the police on my sister once, for being very violent. We later learned that she was suffering from bi-polar disorder. Had my mom not called, we may have never known this.

• Want your kids dead?

All who voted yes are cowards and unable to handle their parent role. Moreover they are sheep that do not need police, but have it in their head. There are many examples across the world, when such failure in parent role led to kids death, or life spoil (arresting) for stupid reason (see below). You should NEVER EVER call police to your kid, unless he murders someone.

• Parents should not call the police on children

I do not feel as if parents should call the police on their children. Family issues should be kept in the family, what can a police officer do that a member of your family can't do? Your children are always going to be your children, if you can't handle them, why have them in the first place?

• Only if they want to be "Estranged Parents of Adult Children"

My dad once called the cops on me when I was 17. I had been washing dishes when he chose to empty out the living room closet onto the floor. When I asked him to pick up the junk on the floor, he flew off the handle, hit me multiple times, and called the police.

When the police arrived they arrested him. After that he had it out for me. He must have called the cops on me multiple times after that, hoping that I could have gone to jail like he had. I never was arrested.

I got a job at a fast food restaurant and saved up enough money so I could leave home, and 6 months later, I did just that and never looked back. As a 30 year old woman, I still get angry emails from my mother's family because I've been estranged from my entire family for over 13 years. These angry emails still detail how much of a "bad kid" I am.

If you can't handle being a parent, don't have kids. The cops are only there to arrest people, which generates revenue for the prison industrial complex.

So, if you want to either get arrested or have your child arrested, then by all means do it. But you can't complain when that same child permanently removes themselves from that violent situation.

• All your doing is screwing up your child's future life.

Why in the worlds would you call the police on your own kid. It doesn't make any sense and half of the time its the parents that are in the wrong, not the kids. My family called the cops on me when I was a child because I refused to sit in a chair as a punishment. When the cops came and I asked what I did wrong, they said I was being belligerent. Its just stupid and will only make your kids like you less than they already do.

• The Child should call the police on the Parent

Maybe the child should be calling the police on you as failed parent! Maybe you should be reaching for the family therapist to call instead of the police. You failed as a parent for a reason, no need to let your children suffer at your hands. Calling the police is a coward act. You are teaching your child to hate you, and when they hit 18 good bye to you. Kids acting out is a cryl for help. They need someone they can talk to and trust, You as a parent are killing their trust by calling authorities for something you can handle! Children will find someone outside the home to confide in, and they will pull away from the parent. Things will get worse for sure. Scaring and threaten them doesn't work. Time for Parenting 101 and show that kid some LOVE!

• The kids should call Police on their Parent!

If your a parent calling the police on your child for minor issues that you should be handling, then you are a disgrace! First all, the problem starts with you Mom, If you reach for a phone then reach for a phone number to a family therapist first. Obviously you failed as a Parent and your the one who needs to learn not the child! Time to take accountability for your bad parenting skills over the years. Learn to love your children and show them love, learn to respect our child if you want respect in return. Most of all listen to your children and also be their friend as well as parent. If they can't trust you, then they will find someone else to turn to, someone that will listen and show that they care. If you don't want to be a grandma to a teen, then buckle down and get some help! We all reap what we sow in the end.

• Parent needs therapy for calling police on a tween/teen

If you need outside help raising your child you as the parent need help for a psychiatrist! Obviously you've done something wrong raising your child. Maybe as a Parent you should ask yourself a few questions...
    Do you listen to your children? Do you demean them? Do you attack? Do you show affection? Do you let them have a relationship with their Father? Do you talk bad about their Father? Do you say hurtful things to your child? Does your child have a friend in you? Does your child have trust in you and Did you BOND with your child from birth to 8??? I think the Parent needs help not the child. Why would you want your child to have an arrest record? Show's how much you as a parent are rotten to the core!

• Your a disgrace of a Parent if you call the Police on your Child!!

If you need outside help raising your child then you have obviously done a lot wrong as a Parent. Tweens or Teens that are acting out are acting out for a reason. Why not try and explore the issue at hand. Maybe call a therapist to have your child talk out his or her problems. Why not try to be a better parent to your children, perhaps take parenting class. You as a Parent should be asking yourself, how have I contributed to my child's behavior towards me? Do I talk with my child? Do I show affection to my child? Do I listen to my child? Do I give my child the age appropriate space they need? Do I nag? Do I allow them to have a relationship with their Dad? Do I bad mouth Dad? I believe it is the Parent that needs the police called on them, they aren't doing their job right, therefore they are seeing the results being lashed out at them from their children! Own it Mom!

• Want your Child Dead?

Calling law enforcement in the United States on your child is a very bad idea because there is a very good chance the police will show up and shoot your child in the face after they shoot your chained up dog which has happened many times . Police killing and torturing innocent people is an every day occurrence now and all they receive in turn are paid vacations for the few that can't be covered up by their police buddies and superiors. Unless you want your child dead like Tyler Comstock, or the thousands of others that have been slaughtered by the largest and ruthless gang in the United States I would advice against it even if you are paying their salaries to take away your rights and beat/kill/taze/mace/steal sexually assault your family and friends.

• Family's Fault and Parent's Fault

Have you ever thought why your child has gone rouge? Majority of serial killers and "messed" up children have a pass of bad childhood. Their parents abuse them, put too much pressure on them, or don't even care. Children want to act rebellious for various reasons (a lot ties in with family). If you raised a child that you have to call the cops on, it's not the child's fault, it's the parent's fault. The parent's did something wrong.