Should parents choose their child's religion?

Asked by: poppy31x
  • Yes they should

If I know Christ is all I need and that I will perish if I don't believe, why should I not want my children to make it to heaven? How will I go about it? Simply by living a life of obedience and let my children see the benefits of Christ. So from birth, I will purpose to retain them in Christ by living right. People look for alternatives when they are dissatisfied with their current relationships. If I train my child right, he will never depart from it-so yes, I will have chosen his religion at birth.

• Of course its fine!

Parents have the right as the mother and father both created the child and the mother carried the baby for 9 months. Whilst growing up the parents provide the best and encourage the best for their child/ children, so what's to stop them from teaching them their religion whilst they are growing up? All parents want is best for their children, they love their children and want them to go to heaven.

• Of course its fine!

• Sure - the kid can change later

Sure - the kid can always change religions later. It is a matter of personal choice. You cannot tell someone what to believe. It is natural though that they will learn a bit from their parents. That is unavoidable as their parents will talk about it around them. They should be open to the kid's choice though

• I actually vote no.

^Calm ^^down ^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^calm ^^down ^Calm ^Calm ^^down ^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^calm ^^down ^Calm ^Calm ^^down ^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^calm ^^down ^Calm ^Calm ^^down ^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^calm ^^down ^Calm ^Calm ^^down ^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^calm ^^down ^Calm ^Calm ^^down ^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^calm ^^down ^Calm ^Calm ^^down ^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^calm ^^down ^Calm ^Calm ^^down ^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^calm ^^down ^Calm ^Calm ^^down ^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^calm ^^down ^Calm ^Calm ^^down ^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^^^calm ^^^^down ^^^calm

• Freedom of Choice

It is every single person birthright to have the freedom of choice, and this doesn't mean what clothes we wear or what foods we do or don't eat, this means religion as well. Children should have the choice to choose what ever religion they want, no matter what religion they choose you should still love your child for the choice they have made even if you may be Christian and they choose to be Buddhist, your child will still be the same. Parents should focus on getting their child to be a good moral citizen not a religious devote at a young age, religion can come later in life.

• It's mostly inevitable.

The parents of a child are the child's first and most important teachers. They teach them how to walk and how to get dressed and will go on to teach them what they think will be helpful for the child. All religious parents believe they need to do what God has told them to do and they will go to heaven. The parents will always want their children to end up in the heaven they believe in and will, for that very reason, preach their own religion to their children. They may mention other religions but the phrase "they might be right" will not be used because if they believe that, they simply don't believe in their own religion and no parent will teach their child something they don't believe in (before anybody mentions father christmas and the tooth fairy, that is different). You can't blame parents for choosing the child's initial religion. However, I would say that parents should not be allowed to stop their child researching other religions and should, may be, encourage the child to do so. If the child finds it necessary to leave his parents religion, the parents should not be allowed to stop the child.

• Religion shouldn't be inherited, it should be learned instead

Labelling a young infant as, 'this is a christian child, 'this is a muslim child' when clearly the child him/herself wouldn't know the difference between the two, is to me, kind of a child abuse. Most of the muslim communities force children to believe in what they believe, do what they do, wear what they wear, and this is no place where children's vote even considered. It is Indoctrination.

• If it's Islam than yes

Im from a Christian family I hated being a Christian believing Jesus is god and all that crap the Dietrich Religion ever I'd use it for a floor mat so I converted to Shi'ite Islam and I'm 13 and I love being a Shiite and every thing about it is true if only my family didn't hate Islam

• Indoctrination and Ignorance

Under no circumstances should a mother or a father determine the religion (or a lack of) of their child. The existence of a god is an undoubtedly controversial and by no means conclusive topic of conversation, therefore no individual should be forced to adhere to any belief system or worldview due to the fact that it cannot be proven to an absolute degree. Indoctrination is, in my opinion, the only crime that should be punished. Cramming a belief into someone's head and shunning every other possibility is the most heinous act that can be committed. Reason and logic demand that every factor and circumstance be accounted for in determining an outcome; therefore holding an opinion dear to oneself without considering every other option available is quite illogical and irrational. Children will continue to remain ignorant if the parents that approve of child indoctrination continue to persist in their irrational mode of thinking.

• Religion can be encouraged

But it should not be enforced. A child should have the right to not have physical changes until they are able to judge and decide if they want to follow a religion. They should not be punished for not accepting a religion, rather they should learn about all religions. Nevertheless, it is impossible to choose another person's religion.

• Religion is a choice!

No! Parents should not choose a child's religion. A child does not know what religion is in general. Young children will believe basically anything you tell them. The simple fact that religions are still standing today is because children are easy to indoctrinate. There is no such thing as a 'muslim child' or a 'christian child'. There's only a 'child with christian parents'.

• You can't choose what another person believes.

A parent may have the right to teach a child only their own religion, or to force them to attend worship of that religion, but it's certainly not a good idea. A parent cannot dictate their child's belief system to them their entire life, and any attempt to do so is tantamount to indoctrination.

• Of course not!

That would be indoctrination. Children are autonomous beings and have the right to choose their own religion, based on their own experience in this world. They should be educated about religious diversity (including agnosticism and, for that matter, atheism), and should not be forced into believing anything that isn't based on fact. There are many people raised without a religion that choose to become religious later in life.

• It's Not Right

It honestly isn't right for a parent to choose their child's religion, if the child wants to follow into the Christian lifestyle, then let them, but if they choose knowledge over religion, that's their choice not the guardians. Of course a child's mind is open and more accessible to the surroundings of everything of today but you can't pick out a lifestyle for them.

• Why should they?

This is a positive claim, and if so needs something from the other side to supplement it. I see no reason to not accept this option, thus It is the only option in this poll that would be rational. I do wonder what anyone who would oppose this would say.

• Religion is not a legacy for a family your name is

What i meant "legacy for a family" it doesn't meant to be pass down or forced to your children, instead when the children becomes matured and started to understand what's good for them, it is when they should decide which religion they should pledge their faith with. You see this is why religion continues to grow but some of their members aren't even fully committed with their creed. I think there should be a law to prevent children baptism.