Should parents enforce time limits on a teens electronic use?

Asked by: JPR2473
  • Because hi hj

x ssssssssssss SSS ss s ss s s rt rrrr r r r r rrr r r r r r r rrr rrrrrrr r r rrrrrr rrrrrrrrre interviewee www sos sos sos sos i a m beaing og nd onoooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo o help so sos so sosofoejriewj jejeje f

• As long as parents are paying the bill, they make the rules.

I understand that it can be inconvenient or unfashionable for a teen to have time limits on their electronics. But I have two arguments: 1) Parents can make their own rules, and 2) Excessive electronic use can be harmful to teens. As for the first, if excessive electronic use harms familial relations, execution of the teen's obligations, or any number of other things, parents can and should exercise their right to impose rules on something that they, themselves, bought and pay for. As for the second, studies repeatedly show that excessive electronic use leads to lower grades, lower ability to be attentive, lessened social interactions, and many other negative repercussions. Parents should act in the best interests of their child, and, in this case, that necessitates limits. I'm not saying that teens should be banned from electronic use on a regular basis, but limits are better for all parties involved. I'm sorry, crying "freedom" and expressing angst are not sufficient arguments.

• Electronic aren't evil

I believe kids should be allowed to use their phones freely because technology isn't bad. Many older generations are not used to electronics like we have today and so since it is something unfamiliar, it is associated with "bad" but really it is just different to parents, grandparents, etc.
    I think it is reasonable to ask children to not use their phones at the dinner table or during church but to restrict use of something you give your child is hypocritical I think. It is a new age of technology and it is a bit scary to older generations but I don't think it is bad just different so therefore restricting something electronic like a phone is unreasonable. Sure cellphones are used for mindless things but at the same time their use is very important and useful for many things that a child could need in modern days such as navigation and staying connected with parents.

• Teens should be able to use iPhones or any other electronic device whenever they want.

In a teen life, we always like to be on social media and talking with friends. We also use YouTube as a stress-reliever or something as entertainment to get rid of our stresses during the day. Taking away a teens electronic device, that is not a good option. That tells the teen that the parent or guardian does not trust the teen.