Should parents get tax credits for sending their children to private school?

• Private School Education

Parents want to send their kids for the best education they want to provide to their kids, they should be allowed tax credit, they are investing in the kids education and not spending money on leisure, And every parents should have rights to send their kids to the school they wish to, and Government should support

• The right to choose

I recently became a private school teacher and I can see the benefits it provides for the students. The students learn core values, kindness, empathy and religion. The sense of community is overwhelming. The kids all look out for each other, know each others birthdays, siblings and parents. The curriculum is rigorous and academically challenging. I went from having 32 students to having 14, now I am able to spend more time with the students and target individual needs. I believe that the overall sense of community builds confidence in the students and it will help them form stronger relationships with others as they get older.

• As with a coin, there are always two sides to an argument.

As a parent who elects to send my child to a private school, in my local school district I am a homeowner and therefore also pay property taxes to fund our local public schools. Government does NOT fund schools. The taxpayers fund the government (local, state, and federal) who then in turn remit some of those taxes back to the states and local schools districts. So let’s start with the correct premise. Government does NOT fund public education. The taxpayer funds public education.

As such, since my child is attending a private parochial school, they are not drawing on local resources, taking up space in the public school, and therefore afford opportunities to another child by not being a consumer of the same limited resources. There are many reasons why one may opt to send their child to a private school. Quality of education, over crowded schools/classrooms, religious affiliation, reduced class sizes, reduced rates of crime, disagreement over curriculum/structure, etc.

I also pay local property taxes to fund my local public schools. I see no reason why I shouldn’t at the very least get an adjustment to my tax rate or credit since I am in effect removing a burden on the local school system by electing to pay out of pocket for tuition, books, fees, lunches, and other sundry expenses related to my child’s education.

I am not saying in the least I should not pay property taxes or should not assist the community in educating children in our public institutions. It is indeed a great blessing that I am fortunate enough to have the resources to send my child to a private institution. But I think in spite of that, I should at least be pro-rated or at least get a tax credit on the portion of my local, state, and federal taxes that are used to support the public education system. In essence, I and other tax payers who choose to send our children to private schools are paying double jeopardy. First we fund the local schools (of which we do not require services or use resources), and then we also pay tuition for our own children. Would you purchase a car and then expect to pay extra in the form of confiscatory mandated taxes for someone else who may not have the same income so they can also buy that same vehicle? Or house?

• Yes, of course!!

I can't believe anyone would not rationalize this properly. Yes, I have and still am sending my kids to private schooling. I have done so since 2000, my last 2 will be starting their freshman year next week. I have worked really hard in order to make this possible for my kids, and on top of that have been paying property taxes every year, where almost a half of those taxes go to public schools – a system I do NOT and have NOT used, yes it was my choice. What is wrong with someone having ‘a choice’, I earned it by working hard, no I am not rich, but had a goal in mind for my children, and that’s what I have done. How wonderful it would be if the city would credit me for the portion of the taxes that I do not use, but nah, every dumb politician is money hungry. Do I believe everyone should have a right to primary education, of course I do; their parents should also be working as hard as I do to make this happen.

• Happy to use public school if it worked

Schools in my area are very bad. The taxes I'm paying are not providing what was promised - i.e. educating my child. We are not rich and it is hard to afford private school, but it is really the only alternative in our area. Some form of refund seems fair.

• Taxes should be spent on what they were collected for

If I pay tax for my child to be educated then that is where it should go. It should be a direct one to one dollar for dollar replacement for me to use as I choose. It is not taking from someone else because it never was anyone else s money but mine.

• 3rd grade reading guarantee!

Our public school, after much ado, finally agreed to address my son's learning disability. They did not, however, decide to TEACH my son. With Ohio's 3rd grade reading guarantee, my choices were to allow him to fail or move him to a private school. We tried to make public school work and went through all of the steps to try to get him the help he needs. I opted to enroll my son in a school that teaches in a manner that my child can learn. I still pay the same property taxes, to a school that was either unwilling or unable to teach my child. Now, because of the circumstances, I also pay tuition. I think that at least the amount that I pay in taxes should be available to me as a tax credit.

• Yes. Tax credit should be allowed.

We both work , and pay our state/city taxes...Which the biggest chunk is for the schools in the area. My child is in private school for many reasons. So, since we pay through the nose for others education, it is only fair that we get some kind of Tax credit, as we are not using "the system".

• Private Schools advocate for allergies!

Our son has life threatening allergies and has have several reactions from things that happen at school. The biggest concern is the public school doesn't want to accommodate because they say it will cost too much.....The low income kids need their government peanutbutter at lunch for protein. We can not afford to send our kids to private school without some sort of tuition assistance, a tax break would surely help, yet we can't risk keeping them in public school either.

• Supporting private schools helps education diversity

I think even a small tax credit would be great for education and society in general. A small credit even a couple hundred dollars could tip the decision for a parent sending their child to the most appropriate school for needs. The public system is a stale education monopoly which is very rigid and slow to adapt to the needs of a modern economy. Make them compete fairly with private schools and they will improve. Let parents do whats best for their children without the financial stick. They are reducing the burden on society and the public school system and should be encouraged to do so with a small refund or credit on their taxes. Then the public schools will have fewer students they can focus better on. Win-win.

• This is ridiculous of course they shouldn't

Public school is available should they choose to use it. Private school is a luxury and it is better for their child as they will, theoretically, receive a better quality education. If they got tax credits it would mean that in some way the government would be paying for their child's education. This is unfair as why should the government pay for them to get a better education than someone in normal public school. It would mean that more people would go into private school as it would be cheaper (cheaper than before not cheaper than public school) so more people will do it. This leaves (due to more tax credits) less money being paid into the education system leaving the very poorest in the public schools which now have even less funds so worse resources.

• Public Schools Created For All

I believe the education of the majority is important. Our educational system, which is created for all students of our country, is set up to survive and be funded partially by taxes. A child's right to be educated has been provided by ensuring that these taxes are collected for that purpose. A parent may not prefer the free school system that is provided and they have every right to elect a private school. However, they should accept the entire cost of that private school as an expense they are solely responsible for.

• Parents should not get a tax credit for sending children to private school because it is their choice to spend more money.

Every child in America is already given the privilege of attending school for free. Paying for your kids to go to private school is your own choice, so you should not get a tax credit simply because you choose to pay more for education. I don't believe you should get tax credits because you choose to spend more money.

• Absolutely, positively not.

Historically education was a privilege. What made public education so wonderful was that collectively, through taxes, society agreed that education should be a right. That is the point of public education: education for all. Since the government is already providing schools, there is no need to also provide tax credits for private education. Parents need to choose whether or not the cost of sending their child to a private school is worthwhile. I personally attended a private school K-5 and my parents did not receive tax credits. And that's how it should be. Life is all about making choices.

• They should not.

I fail to see any kind of a good reason as to why parents should be allowed to claim a tax credit for sending their kids to a private school. We need to collect as much as we can in the way of taxes, and as such should not do this.

• No, parents should not get tax credits.

No, I do not think that it is fair and right to give tax credits to parents just for sending their children to a private school. The public schools were implemented for a reason, and it should be the first choice for parents. Sending children to private schools is a privilege and not a right and should therefore not get a tax credit.