• Bible says so

Bible teaches that to not discipline your child is tantamount to hating them. Not even our own legal system is passive concerning wrongdoing- therefore we teach them young so that when they are old, consequences are not worth sinful, illegal actions. There is a real death penalty which proves that it is so. A good, healthy fear is very effective. People who draw their own conclusion that it is wrong to physically discipline are simply good old fashioned idolaters, making their own way in error as is their usual habit. God is correct, and God hating parents ignore truth which would otherwise prevent their adult children from being respecters of persons- arrogant and self willed.

• its necessary !

They dont understand until you cause them physical pain and once you do they start to behave. I have a little brother and hes always screwing around and if we tell him to stop he doesnt until one of us hits him or yells at him loudly.Then he stops !

• Spanking teaches Discipline when timeouts don't work!

A child should definitely be spanked by the parent or guardian because a firm spanking teaches one not to do something bad again. Just like when you touch the hot stove and burn your fingers, you learn not to tough the stove when its hot with your bare hands again. The same concept works with a good and firm spanking when the child breaks a rule. I had many good spankings in my lifetime and the relationship with my parents is just fine, and I didn't become mentally ill from a spanking.

• Spanking could save a child's life.

Kids rarely remember getting a talking to when they do something wrong, like running off in a store or to close to the road when playing outside, they will however remember a quick smack on the butt. That smack on the butt will stay with them far longer than a talking to and will teach them that they must listen or their butts will hurt. Now I don't think a parent should hit hard enough to leave a mark, that's abuse, but it should be hard enough for the kid to remember why they got the smack in the first place.

• Yes, Parents Should Spank Their Children

Parents should be allowed to spank their children. A simple slap across the wrists or on the hand could possibly save a child's life in certain situations. A slap on the wrists or a swat on the butt is something the child will remember far more than a "stern talking to" or a time out - time out was a joke for me as a kid. The next time the child goes to run across the street, or stick a fork in an outlet, he/she will be more prone to immediately flashing back to that slap than anything their parents might have simply said to them. Spanking is okay, but beating should be totally outlawed. If a bruise or a mark or welt is left, that crosses the line between a spanking and a beating.

• All for it!!!

I am a child my self and I grew up with this punishment. I believe that it was a really good thing as I know what is right and wrong. I find nothing wrong with it. I don't even mind if it is someone elses child as long as it is controlled and not for no reason at all.

• Children should get spanked.

When children don't get disciplined in a way that reflects their actions, they'll continue to act out of control. A simple "time out" is often not enough of a threat to a child. When children get spanked by their parents, it shows them that their are consequences to their actions. To avoid them, they need to learn to act better. These days, children don't get in trouble for anything. Physical discipline will stick with a child longer than a "talking to."

• Yes

Yes, depending on the degree of spanking, parents should have the option to spank their kids. As ridiculous as it sounds, adults are not able to reason with kids some times and the only way for the kids to actually listen to their parents is by physical force. I do not condone parents beating their kids; however, a few spanks here and there will definitely not harm the child.

• Parents Should Be able to Spank their Child

Spankings and Beatings are completely different from one another. Beating is causing physical and emotional harm to children while spanking is teaching dicipline. When a baby wanders into troble and hurts themselves they dont typically make the same mistake twice. Its the same with Spanking . It causes no physical harm and teaches children right from wrong

• The good book states:

A. Hebrews 11:12 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

B. Proverbs 23:13-14 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from hell.
    This is all that needed to be said

• Spanking Is No Longer Acceptable

No, parents should not spank their children. Spanking is something from the past that is no longer acceptable. Many of today’s adults were raised in homes where spanking was allowed and practiced. Today’s children are different – they are lees naïve and less accepting of totalitarian authority. Today’s children demand the same rights as the adults in their families and would not accept a spanking. Time out, grounding, or the loss of a privilege are today’s acceptable forms of punishment.

• No parents should not be allowed to hit their children.

Do you want your child to hate you? Or dislike you? Or even, to be scared of you? Parents should not be able to hit their children as it may become a habit and you may end up becoming abusive or even making your child grow up watching what you do, and follow your footsteps and becoming abusive themselves.

• My parent is strict, mean, and has a temper problem.

No, because when they look back at their childhood what are they going to say to their children?That my parents spanked me and that I had a bad childhood, and remember it for the rest of their lives. People who do that are really strict and so mean, because you're hurting your kids badly and I hope you read this so you can think about it.

• Define spanking and define for what reasons it is decided to be needed. What behaviors get a spank and with what force...? Too subjective

Parents tend to spank kids more on days when they are already frustrated and flustered. This was the case with my mom. If she was having a great day I could do just about anything and not get spanked as if she was feeling benevolent. If she was having a bad day I would get a spank for all kinds of stuff and the worse day she was having the harder the spank...

• No, violence is wrong.

It is not appropriate and can damage a child's life and meaning of life. A child may form wrong ideas about smacking and later on in life believe it is okay to physically abuse people. How would you like it if you smacked your son as a child, and later he was abusive to his partner?

• Violence Begets Violence.

Beating your child only teaches them that violence is a solution for problems. I was beaten when I was a child that has formed a sort of resentment against my parents. I understand the rational behind the beating, but the fact that my parents used it to threaten me into submission was too much. Beating your child DOES NOT get them to respect you. They FEAR you . They listen because they are afraid of being hit again. Most often , parents hit their children in an angered state. This could result in abuse. The fine line between punishment and abuse is often blurred when anger is involved.

• Spanking is hitting, and hurting hurts physically, emotionally and socially.parent should not have the right to spank there child

Spanking can result in fear, not respect. A child who fears a parent may learn to hide behaviour and lie rather than trust that parent to guide and teach.

Spanking may get a quick reaction, but next time you may end up hitting harder. And when you're angry and stressed, it's easy to injure your child.

Spanking doesn't teach the right lesson. It shows a child that hitting is a way to solve

• No, it is Wrong.

Spanking is not appropriate and can damage a child's life and conception of the meaning of life. A child may form wrong ideas about smacking and later on in life believe it is okay to physically abuse people. How would you like it if you smacked your son as a child, and later he was abusive to his partner?

• That's wrong to smack your children

I feel sorry for parents today. So many people
    tell them not to smack their children. They are told that smacking only modifies behaviour in the short-term. They are told that it models violent behaviour and can therefore teach the child to be violent towards others. If a child’s behaviour must be changed then they are told that it can be done more effectively by other ‘non-violent’ means. The logic of these augments, based as they are on the social psychology of aggression and the behav- iourist theory of reinforcement, seems to be irrefutable.

• It's illegal to hit everyone else

Why is it that children, our most defenseless and vulnerable citizens, are the only ones we're still allowed to hit? Anyone else, and it's called assault. And I'm sorry, but using the Bible to defend hitting kids is sad and misguided. "The much-touted 'biblical argument' in support of corporal punishment is founded upon proof-texting a few isolated passages from Proverbs. Using the same method of selective scripture reading, one could also cite the Bible as an authority for the practice of slavery, adultery, polygamy, incest, suppression of women, executing people who eat pork, and infanticide. The brutal and vindictive practice of corporal punishment cannot be reconciled with the major New Testament themes that teach love and forgiveness and a respect for the sacredness and dignity of children - and which overwhelmingly reject violence and retribution as a means of solving human problems." - The Rev. Thomas E. Sagendorf

Quan says2013-12-31T14:19:27.523
I think it sends the wrong message and should be more of a last resort than your go to disciplinary action. I've known far too many messed up people (depression, violence, etc.) with strict parents who spanked religiously to consider it a mere coincidence. If every minor infraction from your children elicits a violent reaction from you, then you can probably count yourself among those messed up people.