Should parents teach their children about sex at an early age?

Asked by: jamccartney
  • Yes, I think so

In today's society, where sex is the highlight of everything, I think kids need to be taught at a fairly young age, maybe even around eight or nine. Because of the internet and shows on tv, children are actually biologically changing because they've been introduced to sex so young. Both girls and boys are going through puberty at earlier ages, and if they are taught that sex is okay without consequences, they're going to get into a lot of trouble. So, yes, teach them, even if it's weird to sit them down and talk to them. Almost all kids are curious, so they'll probably ask questions, and it probably won't be as weird as it is with a teenager anyway.

• They should !

Honestly I can't imagine myself having this convo with my daughter, because I wouldn't be able to handle it correctly. But if you don't teach your child about sex at an early age you face the risk that he will find out from peers, which would be devastating. I say devastating because peers present sex like it's something so supernatural and unique that if you don't do it now, you never will. In reality when teens try it for the 1st time they are really dissapointed because it was not what their peers described. Parents are mature enough to explain them that sex is not only about the pleasure but it's about love(which means you can't do it with anyone). This way the person won't be dissapointed since he's doing it with the person he loves and face it like something very normal and natural, as his parents taught him.

• Yes, parents should teach their children about sex at an early age.

I believe that this is very important. This is bound to produce a more mature and intelligent generation.
    Now that i look back on it, my parents have never really told me about it. I just sort of figured it all out by myself naturally. It most definitely had an outcome on how i am today.

• Yes, it has to start an an early age or you lose the opportunity

Sex is a part of life. Children are maturing at a much faster pace than they once did. Parents should actively teach their children about sex and sexuality at an early age. If parents don't assume this responsibility someone else will assume it for them. Leaving this critical element of education to others might be easier and less embarrassing but it is generally not better. Sex education should be much more than "the talk". Parents have much to discuss and they need to educate themselves when needed. Its an ongoing process of instruction that should start early with age appropriate information and gradually escalate as they mature. We make a huge mistake when we limit it to the biological nuts and bolts. We miss the boat if we don't also teach them about the relationship and commitment aspects of sexuality. If we don't teach our own children about sex we are often leaving their education in the hands of their peers. I might add that parents should know best when it comes to determining an appropriate age to start this instruction.

• I agree with his person

As long as the education is unbiased Sexual education at an earlier age will decrease stupid mistakes teenagers make in their sexual escapades (sexcapades), de-mystify sex and turning it from a social taboo to nothing more than a fact of life. As for any arguments saying that knowing about sex at such an early age will contaminate the minds of our children, know that they'll find out about it at a young age anyways- and when they do, it will most likely be from a friend at school or a pop up ad on the internet. Why not teach them about sex in a controlled environment?

• As long as the education is unbiased

Sexual education at an earlier age will decrease stupid mistakes teenagers make in their sexual escapades (sexcapades), de-mystify sex and turning it from a social taboo to nothing more than a fact of life. As for any arguments saying that knowing about sex at such an early age will contaminate the minds of our children, know that they'll find out about it at a young age anyways- and when they do, it will most likely be from a friend at school or a pop up ad on the internet. Why not teach them about sex in a controlled environment?

• They should be knowledgable

At some point, children are going to become aware, knowledgeable, and curious about sex, and they're inevitably going to make a very stupid mistake because they weren't educated about it, or they might be lured into something predatory without any awareness of what they're doing. Children need to understand what sex is, period. It's not going to corrupt them - it's going to help them.

• Sex Education Best For Young Teens

Parents should teach their children about sex at a young age, but they should exercise restraint. For instance, most middle schoolers don't need to know about sex. Teens that just entered high school could use a thorough sex talk, though. Teens tend to start having sex around this time in many cases, so the talk is best then.

• Yes, but with appropriate words.

Parents should be teaching their kids about being girls and boys through their everyday activities from the time they are little children. Then when they are asked about certain things like where babies come from, the answers should be simple and age appropriate and keep evolving as the questions become more involved.

• I think that parents should teach their children about sex at an early age.

I think that parents should teach their children about sex
    at an early age. Nowadays, there are too
    many dangers out there for parents to leave their children unprotected without
    a proper sexual education. There are
    fatal sexually transmitted diseases out here.
    There are sexual predators that prey on children through the
    internet. Kids who are educated are
    better able to avoid these threats.

• No, it is not relevant at an early age.

No, parents should not teach their children about sex at an early age, because it is not a relevant topic to a child at an early age. Children at a young age should be taught about good and bad touch, but the details of sexual activity is not relevant to them, and they do not need this information until middle school.

• Parents shouldnt teach their kids about sex early.

Kids have no reason to learn about sex at an early age. The only things that should be on their mind is having fun and learning new things in school. Of course parents have an obligation to let them know about the difference from a man and a women and respect, but they dont need to go into full detail about sex. Kids will eventually learn on their own.