Should Paul's epistles be read literally (yes), or as the Gnostics would have it, allegorically (no)?

• YES, they are supposed to be taken literally.

You cannot pick and choose what you want to follow and what you do not, and don't quote obscure Scripture from the OT because we are under a new covenant. If you pick and choose, who is to say what does or doesn't belong? That is a slippery slope and we will all have to answer to God about what we say about His inspired word (2Tim 3:16).

• They mean what they say.

It says in the Bible to let your yes mean yes and your no mean no. So when Paul wrote the epistles, he meant the things that he said. He was a simple man that God used to found the churches in the many cities. His letters are wonderful works of poetry, but they should not be read too allegorically, because he meant them for a simple audience.

• Yes, Paul's epistles should be read literally

This is a tough question. While I believe in the Bible as God's word, I also believe that there are many hidden messages in the words of the Bible because we do not speak as people spoke in the time when the Bible was written. I do not believe that Paul's epistles are just allegorical stories, and much of what he wrote can be literally interpreted. However, due to differences in word usage, some ideas presented in the epistles take some "reading between the lines" and interpretation based on scholars who have researched the usage of words and phrases from Biblical times.

• I think the Gnostics had it right.

I believe we made serious mistakes when we read the Bible and took it literally, from cover to cover. I think the Gnostics were correct. I very much believe Paul's epistles were meant to be read allegorically. Paul's epistles have been referred to as the true start of Christian fundamentals. Perhaps we need to rethink what we have taken so literally.

• Its All Symbolism

I believe all Christian text should be read allegorically, including Paul's epistles. I think reading these documents and taking their meanings as literal draws the reader in the wrong direction. There are a lot of problems in the Christian faith due to this type of readind and I think people get too attached to the words, instead of taking away a meaning.

• No, Paul's epistles should be read allegorically.

I do not believe that Paul's epistles should be read literally. They should be read, like the Gnostics would have it, allegorically. I think that if Paul's epistles were read literally, it would cause a lot of issues and problems. If read allegorically, it would be more beneficial and postive.