Should people applying for or receiving welfare benefits undergo drug testing?

• Stop the insanity

If people who work have to submit to random drug testing ( I have to in my job) then definitely the ones who collect welfare should be tested. These programs just enable lazy people. There should be strict rules for collecting any public assistance. Too many people think the Government should take care of them....NO....That's not how it works.

• More money for those that actually need it.

People will do their best to get out of working while also making money. Getting welfare checks could be one easy way. Sometimes, welfare checks are sold in order for someone to get their fix. This still doesn't mean that one can judge another. It's no one's place to do so. But, giving the money to a family that actually needs it is best.

• Yes they should

I think that welfare recipients should undergo drug testing in order to receive benefits and assistance from the government. People have to get drug tested often in order to work, so why shouldn't welfare recipients be drug tested to get free money and other items. Welfare is there to help people get back on their feet. It should not be a lifelong thing. People can only better themselves if they are not using drugs. Also, children do not belong in houses with parents who are using drugs.

• If you requier assistance you should be tested

Yes. I am not saying that everyone that applies for or receives welfare benefits are on drugs are going to be on drugs in the future, but if assistance is needed then you should be able to pass drug tests. Granted, some just need some help, but others are looking to fund habits. It should be a part of qualifications to receive these benefits.

• Drug Testing for Welfare Necessary

A noticeable percentage of people that receive welfare are on one drug or another. Therefore, drug testing for welfare is a great requirement that would keep these funds out of the hands of people that contribute nothing to society. Without a doubt, legislation needs to be used to implement such a policy.

• No drug users on welfare!

Yes, yes, and yes. We don't need drug addicts (or alcoholics, or gamblers) use welfare to fund their destructive habits. Welfare is meant to help poor people in difficult situations - people who can't work for a legitimate reason. Lazy bums who just don't want to work should starve, because that's what they deserve.

• Why should my taxes help encourage their addiction?

I know many people that need welfare and don't get it. On the other hand I also know people that can work but don't because they're too busy being potheads. Their thinking is "why should I work , if I can get welfare benefits." And in a way the gov't and us, the rest of responsible Americans, have allowed this to happen. I say us because we could have placed pressure on politicians to stop this a long time ago.

• Enabling lazy Americans.

I know many people that abuse the system and take advantage and they all are on drugs and lazy to go out and work for a living, but think about it. Why get a job when government gives these people free aid. I'm happy to see this change happen it's about time also people who receive unemployment should be tested as well.

• Absolutely yes, to at the very least ensure what is being spent on welfare isn't subsidizing a drug-abusers life

Drug abuse isn't exclusive to liberals (Rush Limbaugh for example) and drug testing is so inexpensive businesses from minimum wage retail stores to jobs with sensitive information drug screen. More to the point it would combat the possibility for a drug-abuser to use the money he/she saved from welfare and spend it on drugs. (Money given as welfare>money needed for drug testing). Lastly welfare is meant to aid someone in getting their life on the right track, not enable people to stay on the wrong track.

• Yes, but only if there is reasonable suspicion that the individual is abusing drugs.

Those applying for or already on welfare should undergo drug testing but only if there is reasonable suspicion that the person is abusing drugs. Reasonable suspicion would include a previous history of drug abuse and/or a criminal record related to drug abuse. In these instances, the person should be forced to undergo drug testing and if positive, be required to attend drug counseling in order to receive benefits.

• No they shouldn't.

I really don't think that it the business of anyone what other people put in their bodies. These people have an illness and they need to eat too. I think that there are other more important things that need to be changed about welfare than drug testing the millions of people receiving these benefits.

• No, They Should Not

People who apply for welfare, especially in the United States, are no longer receiving large sums of money. Rather, they are receiving food stamps and maybe some rent assistance. There are no "welfare queens," as many would like to believe. If these people are applying for help they more than likely have children as well. If they are refused assistance because they use drugs, the children are the ones who will really suffer.

• This is so pathetic

Do you really think it would be a good idea? I don't think so,the crime rates will go sky high. As for the amount of kids turning up to school with no lunch starving. So think about it do you really want to put kids through a hard life? I don't think so.

At the end of the day people need to think about the up coming generation. Not thinking about them selves.

• It's outrageous to even suggest this

In my opinion this would be the most outrageous affliction of their basic rights. Do you automatically forfeit these rights simply because you're on welfare? The right to privacy comes to mind, as does the fourth amendment. By the way, it's a complete myth that welfare rewards people for doing nothing, destroying their dignity and character. The majority of people on welfare work a job.

• No, that would be a violation of basic civil rights.

Should people applying for welfare be drug tested? How about driver's licenses? Social Security benefits? Voter registration cards? Under the constitution's fourth amendment citizens are protected from unreasonable searches, those without a search warrant judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause. While those in poverty are more likely to be illegal drug users than any other economic demographic, it doesn't constitute probable cause, nor does it mean that a certain class of citizen should be treated with any less respect. The welfare programs we have in place are there to protect the poorest among us, not punish those among us whose choices we don't agree with or don't comply with some moral standard.

• They Should Not be Drug Tested

It would be ridiculous to drug test everyone that is applying for welfare benefits. That would take a very long time and cost the government a lot of money. Its just not a good idea and that money that would be spent on drug testing could be going towards something more productive.