Should people be allowed to buy junk food with food stamps?

• Why cant you

What is wrong with buying whatever you want ? If someone wants a candy bar every once in a while then why not ? Yeah it might make people fat but that's their probem for choosing to buy what they want. I hate how the government thinks that they own us .That's dumb

• Yes, they should.

Yes, I think that people should be allowed to buy junk food with food stamps. They shouldn't, that's for sure; they should be buying healthy food, but that goes for everyone, regardless of whether or not they use food stamps. I think that it should be the individuals choice as to what food they purchase.

• Junk Food Defined....

The purpose of the benefit is for the low-income to eat. So why is the government now trying to decide what they eat? What is a clear definition of junk food. Is it anything that is actually cooked in the house? Is it something with a high sugar content (be careful here because you must include natural sugar which most fruit is high in)? Or is it whatever the politician feels is un-needed? Here is a solution, stop giving the EBT benefits and start giving out actual groceries! Take the "taxpayer" money, go to the store buy the allowed foods and distribute them to those in need. This would eliminate all of this confusion. If no one wants to take the time to actively solve the problem stop wasting time passing laws. Quit taking the easy way out to dictate someone's food consumption. Many receiving assistance are taxpayers who are having financial issues. Why do many feel the need to kick others who are already down?

• America is overweight

This is the first step in banning all "junk foods" for all overweight Americans. Soon, they can use this excuse to close down all fast food restaurants. People on food stamps started out as working people that McDonald's made to fat to work ? Sell them broccoli and nothing else ! Force broccoli on school kids first. Make McDonald's only sell broccoli and liver !

• This is to much government's control over the less fortunate people's lives

If only junk food such as stated : soda, ice cream, fruit juice, cookies. Then what is next, can goods also will be banned for the same reasons the claim there banning "junk foods". Yes it's in "-" because all America buy's. Cookies, ice cream, soda, fruit juice. If this goes nation wide Watch the can goods be banned too.

• Just let people live!

Americans bailed out banks for over $700 billion and demand regulation removal so the American economy can flourish. SNAP costs the USA $75 billion a year... Let people live! They pay taxes just like you. I know they "get income taxes back", but they still pay sales tax, FICA, and other taxes. Moreover, some processed foods are way worse than "junk" foods. Are you going to ban ramen noodles? Hot dogs? Frozen entrees? Please live below the poverty line for 1 week and realize that we have more pressing societal issues than poor people buying soda.

• Who gets to decide what is bad food

Who is to say what each family needs? I have a child who has severe weight issues and needs a high fat diet to maintain and grow properly. So we buy ice cream, sour cream, full fat milk, etc. and yes cookies. Because he will always eat a cookie. And any calories we can get in him count. So we serve a balanced meal first but offer treats after each meal. If he didn't get the after treats he would not gain any weight. He also gets pediasure high calorie shakes every morning to help out. How about diabetics who buy chocolate bars to put by their bed incase of sugar lows when they wake up? Or ice cream and cake for your childs birthday (box mix of course)? You shouldnt be buying nothing but junk but banning it altogether is not the solution. Again some kids NEED the fat and calories. A 1 year old should not be wearing 3 month clothes. I could only imagine if they took away the fat.

• Food stamps are allowed

Get over it people if people are on food stamps they can buy whatever the hell they want to food wise its not up to you want they want to get... I'm on food stamps and work and I'll be dame if I'm going to have someone tell me what i m buying to eat ha...

• It's called freedom

People should legitimately be able to but whatever they please with food stamps for the mere fact that its their choice what they want and choose to eat. They shouldn't be limited by what someone else believes that they should buy. People constantly make the argument that people only buy junk food with their food stamps but that isn't true at all and if that is all that they buy then it is their choice to buy it.

• This is America not some faschist dictatorship

If poor people cant eat steaks,colas,candy,chips,sea food,bottle water this creats class segreation with government dictating what you can and cant eat. This it totaly unfair for those who have no refrigerators or means of cooking such as homeless whos lives count on soo called junk foods to survive. Furthermore if poor cant eat the above listed foods then the rich should be banned from fruits,veggies,milk,chicken,pork,etc

• Screwing tax payers over by being fat

I worked at Walmart and the people coming through my line using food stamps normally bought junk food and were overweight. I think if youre receiving food stamps which also means youre probably receiving medicaid your eating habits need to be monitored to avoid paying more tax dollars taking care of someone who became obese and unhealthy due to their own eating habits, its disgusting.

• No, people should not be allowed to buy junk food with food stamps.

Really, this answer depends on what the definition of junk food is. But, if we're going by the usual culprits (soda, candy, etc.) then I'd say no, people should not be allowed to buy junk food.

Food stamps are supposed to be supplemental to help low-income families buy nutritious and filling food. Junk food has been shown to not be filling, and of course it is often very unhealthy.

• What the ...

Since when is corn flakes junk food? And cheerios? Did someone upload the wrong picture? I mean Lucky charms are questionable, but I believe their exception falls under the "magically delicious clause." I think I see medication too...IS that a kleenex??? Maybe I should say no with reservations. Who is to decide what is junk food or not? But for the love of god, corn flakes??!!!

• Busting my but to pay for losers

I work ten hours a day manual labor and I'm tired of standing in line watching these losers in front of me buying frozen pizza and little deby snacks with food stamps while I'm searching the store for sales because so much of my check goes to pay for there crap I agree with helping people out but you don't need Doritos to survive. Nothing wrong with eggs potatoes and rice

• People should not be allowed to buy junk with food stamps.

Food stamps are for low income families to supplement their food. Normally, you have children and they need filling and healthy food. They are not supposed to be given junk to make them sick or obese. You shouldn't use food stamps to buy Easter or Halloween candy either. You should buy the staple you need, and then meats. You should also cut coupons to get the most of them. Fruits are the best for desserts. Think of your kids!

• Definitely not. Food stamps should be used for essential food. The whole point of the program is to help low income families/people eat.

Nobody needs treats/snacks. If you can buy them with your own money, that's great! Buy all the junk food you want. (But if you have the money to purchase junk food, then you should be able to feed yourself normal food as well.)

If you're using taxpayer money to pay for their groceries, then you should certainly NOT be able to buy any type of dessert with it at all. The same goes for pop/soda.

It really ticks me off when I see people buying tons of food with their bridge card and more than half of the food in their cart is junk food. That money is not 'free' like so many Obama-voting idiots believe.

• No certain categories should be baned.

There should not be a wide ban for these people, as everyone needs some treats, like a dessert or ice cream. However, soda and chips and maybe a few other things probably should be banned for health reasons. Other than that, it is very hard to make this happen and enforce it.

• No Junk Food!

Everyone I know who is low income, but for some reason can't get food stamps have to make smart choices which means they can't afford junk food, so why should someone who is getting FREE money for food be able to buy junk food. Well they shouldn't be able to.

• No junk food

When these people get a job and get off their lazy butts, then they can buy whatever they want. Not when the rest of the world is paying for them to get free food as we struggle to survive. I hate watching them fill their grocery carts with junk and then read articles about how they don't get enough benefits. They need a lesson in managing their money/food stamps from hard working people who have to budget every meal they buy!

Posted by: PF