• We should have guns

America needs guns, most of the population that even owns guns just keep them in their homes for safety reasons. Not to take them out and play with them. In fact what does the second amendment state "The right to bare arms" We need these guns for safety reasons. Not for stupid reasons.

• It's individual choice

There should be guidelines and individuals need to be responsible
    for having firearms. Not everyone should be able to have one. However, the amount of firearms on the street that are illegal is so high they will never stop it. Also, those people are not law abiding citizens that are using them in a wrong manner. Those who allow kids access are playing with a dangerous combination whether on purpose or accident the owner is responsible and should suffer grave consequences. Really those carrying rifles
    and several firearms into public places just to prove a point
    need to think again. It's not necessary and your just adding fuel
    to the fire and arguments against firearms.

• Yes, I think we should

Carrying guns is totally helpful in SO many ways. Studies have shown that if a criminal attacks someone and the victim pulls out a gun to protect him/herself then more than 50% of the time the criminal backs away. That would mean that half of the victims could possibly be saved. Think about this, say someone pulled a gun out on you. Would you rather pull out your gun and have a much better chance of surviving or pull out your phone to call the cops when they could take more than ten minutes to get there. Your choice. Think about this. Say a criminal is in a room alone with another person they hate. The criminal has a spear, a knife, a sword, a bow and arrow, an explosive and a gun. Now they don't have the gun. The criminal could still EASILY kill the other person wether or not they have a gun. My point is? Taking away guns doesn't help! Say there was a crowd of more than a hundred people. There was a person with a gun and a person with a car. The person with a car could quickly drive into the crowd in a matter of seconds and kill more people than the person with a HANDGUN could. Handguns are more helpful than not.

"Our findings are dramatic. Our most conservative estimates show that by adopting shall-issue laws, states reduced murders by 8.5%, rapes by 5%, aggravated assaults by 7% and robbery by 3%. If those states that did not permit concealed handguns in 1992 had permitted them back then, citizens would have been spared approximately 1,570 murders, 4,177 rapes, 60,000 aggravated assaults and 12,000 robberies. To put it even more simply: Criminals, we found, respond rationally to deterrence threats."
    - John R. Lott

"What about minor disputes such as traffic accidents? Are legal owners of concealed handguns more likely to use them in such situations? In 31 states, some of which have had concealed weapons laws for decades, there is only one recorded incident (earlier this year in Texas) in which a concealed handgun was used in a shooting following an accident. Even in that one case, a grand jury found that the shooting was in self-defense: The shooter was being beaten by the other driver."
    -John R. Lott

• Guns, a 2nd amendment right and a life saver

The 2nd amendment gives citizens the right to bear arms, and to shoot down a quick argument about more guns=more violence, look where the most violent attacks have been in recent years (schools, movie theaters, military bases) all of those places explicitly ban weapons on the premises, now look at the last time someone shot up a gun range or an NRA meeting (the answer is never) taking guns away from law abiding citizens will not stop anything. Heck, some highschooler in Pennsylvania just snapped and went on a knife attack, using gun grabber logic we should start banning knives. On a more personal level, a gun is like a parachute, if you don't have one when you need one, your gonna be screwed. A lot of people don't think they'll need a gun until the armed burglar is breaking down the front door. In conclusion, giving more people the right to carry a firearm (with education on the use and responsibility of a weapon) would be an overall good for the community rather than the bad one suggested

• No duh we should

Its an American right to bare arms why should carrying a concealed firearm be any different. We as Americans should be aloud to carry a gun because its not just as simple as being armed and a potential felon but its like being armed and potential savior. I submit that to carry a gun could be dangerous but so is swimming in the ocean, you going to ban that too?

• Us as Americans should be able to carry a concealed hand gun.

If we have a mobile hand gun strapped to the side of our waist than we will be and feel a lot safer. We can protect ourselves in situations like robberies and or shootings at school or on the streets. Its like having a body guard. The crime rate will go down. Although most of us will think otherwise because everyone will be holding a hand gun, but thats not the point. Its about putting the safety into the American hands. We are a lot smarter than most think. We know when to use them and we know how to use them properly.

• You would think that our founding fathers

Would have said no guns. They are after all part of the group that made the united states almost all of what it is today. They say that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed not on the basis of just owning a gun, but the ability to fight corruption. Hitler took guns away from the Jews...Look it up if you wish. Great Britt. Had tons of laws on gun rights at that time, and they were about to be invaded. "Lets throw stone at those bloody Germans."

• Protection or self defense

I think people should be allowed to have weapons in their homes because in a case of an emergency like a thief, they should have the right to protect themselves if items are getting stolen or someone is trying to hurt them.If you have kids or a family .. And someone comes in with a gun you would want to be ready to save your life and your children ,siblings, or parents.

• We should have guns because we need to defend ourselves and from the FBI

We should have guns because we need to defend ourselves from or victims. So if one day we are being attacked and there is not enough of polices to keep us safe. Then we stand up need also fight for our country and be free. So therefore we should own guns

• Self defense protection self offense

Protection
    is a very important thing and a lot of people need it so that is why I think that people should always carry it with them if they are somewhere where they don't know where they are they will need protection but I understand that some people are irresponsible but that just means that the gun shop gave the gun to the wrong type of person

• I think not

I think they shouldn't because it can cause mass shootings and kill innocent people by accident. It will teach children bad ways and teach them to resort to violence when in need of help. Yes you may need it for self defence but violence isn't the way forward. The world should be a peaceful place to live. Not somewhere where guns and knives are used frequently to help out. People who have jobs that may need weapons then fair enough but they should have a license of how they use it and how they carry it around outside their work.

• No, guns are unecessary

Guns should be made illegal. There is never an occasion when an ordinary citizen needs a gun. Even for self-defense - I have yet to see any statistics on how many lives guns save. It seems that people use guns for intentional violence, or are harmed through accidental discharges while cleaning or hunting.

• No..

No, people should be allowed to have guns. Having a gun in your own home for protection is one thing but keeping a gun on your person is a totally different issue. it's dangerous and we need a lot more gun control in America to stop all of this crazy crime.

• yes

As much as I may not like guns, as a huge liberal, I must accept that it is a right enshrined in the US constitution. AS long as someone passes a fair licensing test or what ever registration steps are required, then they should be able to carry a gun .

Posted by: awil
  • No, people should not carry guns around in public

People should only be allowed to have guns in public if their job requires it. There are far too many hotheads in society, not to mention totally unthinking people who might decide to settle a dispute using a gun, or shoot at a lamp pole. Without using any degrading name calling, I think we all agree that some people are not capable of responsible judgement, and allowing everyone to carry a gun would be a foolish thing to do.

• 12 year old worried to go to school!!

I was in two minds with this issue. Especially as I am a brit. (Serving in the military for 17 years) what made me decide is seeing and reading comments from 12 year olds too scared to go out. Nervous of going to school. My kids do not leave the house to go to school concerned about being shot. They are experiencing a normal childhood free from fear and worry at such an age.

• Guns are for the military

This world is getting messed up. I'm 12 years old and I'm always worried that one day some crazy person will come into my house and start shooting me and my family. Us americans should not have to live our lives in fear. I don't feel safe walking alone at night or even in the day. Too many people are getting killed for no God dang reason. Stop killing people please. Stop ruining our lives. Think about others for a change.

• Why are we so attached to guns?

All guns do is kill. They are responsible for so many deaths, so why do we see them as a need in our society? Protection? Guns make us just as criminal as the threat we face.

What I don't understand is how we see guns as a good thing. If they were so amazing, why doesn't the rest of the world have them? In America, they are given as birthday presents for those who are less than 10 years old. TEN YEARS OLD. Isn't this crazy? I say, if you live in an unsafe area, get the heck out of there. Your kids shouldn't need to carry guns. There have been cases of kids accidentaly shooting their siblings and family members with their guns. Why do we let this happen?

• Guns rights not available

Because what if there was a crazy person that had a gun and started shooting everyone. I would be mad because what if that person came and shot you or one of the people you love. Think about it because everyone thinks of their family's safety. That's why my opinion should touch everyone and help them better understand safety more.

• It is violent and dangerous

It can kill people and even though people say that people kill people if people drink and drive are we going to ban cars, if people stab people should we ban knives. No but cars are a source of transportation and knives are used to cut things but what can we use guns for. Self-defence generally means that you injure someone with the gun so none is safe from the gun

Anonymous says2013-02-28T03:12:08.283
guns shouldn't be allowed and just think about kids safty if guns are around them every 2min. people just don't think of what will happen after guns are in every inch of America. I'm pretty shure that kids want to feel safe considering i'm one.