Should people be allowed to indoctrinate children into a specific religion outside of outside influence?

Asked by: CloudKylion
  • If your values lead you to believe you know what's best for others, check out the ethics of domination and discrimination

Those who resist this need take a good hard look at rational thinking and rational concepts like the Hegelian dialectic. It requires TWO opposing points of view. There idea that one side can simply declare, rather than rebut, the opposing point of view as invalid is extremely irrational. To arrive at the point that one believes they know how best to raise someone else's children based on a faith choice is an affront to smile decency.

Even worse, it take a particular kind of perniciousness to think that:

a. Parents are teaching their kids values that they believe will be unquestioned or blind.

B. That kids are not going to set out in a world where people will challenge their beliefs.

If the first challenge is a claim that someone is irrational and that their loving parents have abused them? Those hurling such irrationalism may want to check what process made such accusations acceptable before they go screwing with other people's parent child relationship.

Who the hell are you to decide which values a parent teaches their children? Any answer other than, "No one," deserves to be thrown out immediately.

• This is impossible to prevent.

As long as the parents believe something they will do everything in their power to make sure their children believe as they do. People who don't believe in religion do the same thing. Being raised by a christian and an atheist has taught me too always consider both sides of every argument. Instead of trying to stop indoctrination more effort should be put out by the parents and pretty much everyone to make sure that the science side is held as just as (more) viable a theory than religion. Attempting to say that someone can't teach their children their beliefs does more harm than good, and will never end well.

• I believe in the first amendment rights.

I also believe in our other rights but that is not relevant to the question.
    The British King held favor of one religion over another, they wanted to take religious favor out of the law.
    Religions tend to demand that it be handed down from one generation to the next and to deny them this practice would be to deny their religious freedom.

Seeing that they contribute being good to their religion and not to how they are raised sounds to me like they may have poor parenting skills so their children need learn religion or else would be immoral. Do we really want 85+% of the population to be immoral leaving just the atheists and agnostics as the only moral people?

• Early Indoctrination is Child Abuse!:

Indoctrinating children is actually deliberate Contamination of their Mindware (reasoning and decision making faculties), this condemns those that become Indoctrinated into living a life from a basis of Irrational, often idiotic notions that may never allow them to ever be totally rational, open minded individuals. Thus indoctrination is condemning the victim to a life of being Unintelligent.

Most of Intelligence is Rational Thinking, Indoctrination destroys rationality by seducing the victim into extreme Irrationality.
    Thus they can never become as intelligent as their potential (IQ) suggests.
    The deliberate limiting of a child's potential for Intelligence is Child Abuse.

• Religion does more harm than good.

After careful consideration, I feel that religious indoctrination should be abolished until after basic critical thinking skills have been established in the individual. Religion seems to provide users with what to think, while failing to teach them how to think. In doing so, we've come to a point where religious battles take place, a perfect example would be most debates here, where the justification to believing such religion is a vague, unintelligent and has not been carefully questioned. The only justification which has been brought forth is "You can feel God" or "Blind faith cannot be explained", etc. A generation of thinkers have been raised believing a fictional concept which are blind, ignorant and not willing to consider alternatives.

• Religiously indoctrinated children lack critical thinking skills and an adequate understanding of the world around us.

Children are very impressionable, filling their minds with the doctrine of bronze aged savages as factual and hold it as a moral guide to life is counter productive. We as a society are constantly changing, what we find socially acceptable is forever evolving to cater to a friendly, more productive and more innovative world. We cannot strive for greatness teaching our children misogyny, genocide, rape, murder,blood sacrifice, complete devotion and worship in the form of bedtime stories and fairy yales. We shouldn't be teaching them its acceptable for anyone to behave the way god has, nor insinuate god holds or condones any selfish manly emotion or desire . Religion itself is nothing more than a man made tool to keep us distracted. Today's religion is tomarrows mythology. As a mother of 3 daughters I do not find my regions religious dogma to be healthy for the mental development of my girls. This world is full of amazing things, to attempt to explain it with a single book written thousands of years ago over millions others is silly nonsense. Actually read your religious texts... How can you possibly find the atrocities a work of god? And find solace in scaring your children with the delusion of heaven or hell to demand obedience instead of teaching them their actions and words directly impact the world around them. God did it or god wouldn't like that are not real answers to questions and only stagger curiosity to investigate the universe around us. Not only that but they're less likely to fathom reality and remain blissfully arrogant into adult hood. Where its then easier to manipulate society into the same cycle of arrogance. Children don't get to choose anything about this lives, the least we can do is give them the tools to become productive members of society with unbiased moral compasses full of compassion and unwavering curiosity to strive for a better world. We can't do that behind the mental confines of religious dogma instilled as children... I mean we can. I grew up catholic and read the bible , I always found it to beoutrageous stories I could never understand why people found it enlightening... The death. The misogyny, not to mention the unrealistic idea metal illness was parallel to speaking with god. Children don't need to be beaten by a book. They need books to awaken their minds...The opposite of what religion does. No matter what people want to push on you.

• I believe that children have the right to a proper education free of religious and atheistic bias.

Some might say this is impossible; I believe it to be a fundamental right. I am in no way advocating atheism, not that I am against it, nor am I against any religion; I am against forcing children to believe something they are too young to understand. Children deserve to be taught in such a manner that helps them to understand different sides.

This shouldn't be a science vs religion argument, as those are two different things; both should be taught, as both help us to understand our world. Science is in the realm of hypotheses and theories that have supporting evidence, and should be taught as such. Teaching religion, however, is very different than teaching science; it shouldn't be taught or presented as fact nor should it be taught from a biased viewpoint that supports any one religion, and this is the problem. Children should not be subject to indoctrination before they have the reasoning skills to choose whether or not to listen to those who would have them follow their belief system. I think 12 would be a good age to start teaching about religions, this is after the developmental period known as "the age of reason" so it would be a good time to start. As I have stated I am not against religion as it can be logical just as atheism can be illogical depending on the reasons one chooses to think there is or isn't a god, I say this to show that I have no allegiance to whether children independently choose to believe in a god or not; people have a right to believe what they want, just not to indoctrinate children.

Some might say that people have a right to freedom of speech, but children deserve more than that; children deserve an education free of all our biases. They deserve to not be tugged all throughout their education by religious and non-religious people; they deserve to not have their freedom to choose stolen by people who abuse their rights; they deserve an education free of the tyranny of our polemics and our biased belief systems. Parents and society have no right to indoctrinate children into any belief system, they have an obligation to give children the best possible education possible, to give them the tools to advance their lives; when the children are at an age when they can think critically I think it is alright to present your beliefs to the children as the fact or probable explanation you believe them to be, as long as you aren't coercing them.

• Let the children believe for themselves.

I firmly believe we should raise our children in the Christian Faith and teach them about what The Lord Jesus did for them but in the end it's not the parents Faith but the Children's Faith that saves them.
    2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, O have finished the course, I have kept the Faith.