Should people be considered adults at the age of 18?

• Yes an 18 year old is definitely an adult

I am a sociologist and quite simply put , an 18 year old is quite ready to be called an adult. Puberty is now well over and 16 year olds are allowed to have sex in the UK. At 18 one reaches the age of "majority" and you are no more a "minor " . Equally , at 18 you are ready to be as responsible as you would like ! Even a 25 year old can be immature ! Also at 18 you become a " legal person " with a lot of responsibilities and . You can drive a car , an 18 year old can even write a Will , an 18 year old can vote . Its high time that an 18 year old be accepted in the world of adulthood .

• 18 yearolds are adults regardless

The reason why 18 yearolds are adults is because their not minors they don't have curfews and they can make their own decisions. Some people will call 18 yearolds teens but their adults. You can't expect and 18 yearold adult to act adult if your going to sit their and call them teenagers. It's defensive to call them teens. That makes them act immature because if their legally adults they don't want to be called a teenager it's disrespectful. Call them adults.

• It's called grow up!

Why does everyone think it's okay to live with your parents until your ready to move out? When I was 16 I bought a car with my own money, got a job to support that car, and paid it off within a year. My parents and I weren't close, in fact we were always at each other's throats over everything. I went through college, majored in political science, became a paralegal towards the end of my second degree, and now I'm a successful political scientist who makes 300 grand a year and i just turned 30. My sitter are like the people on the other half of this argument. She is still living with our parents , has no job, didn't go to college, and she will live there for the rest of her life. Why? Because of my tense relationship with my parents I got out of that house the day I turned 18 becuase I didn't want to end up like my parents or my sister. If what my sister is doing wasn't so socially acceptable then she might actually have a life rather than being the child she still is.

• Indeed

I think as of right now, many children are growing up faster in our society. Studies have been done on puberty rates beginning at an earlier age. Although our youth is growing up faster, I do not think they are able to financially, politically, educationally and functionally support themselves as adults until at least 18.

• 18 is the age

When kids turn 16 years old, they can drive, which is making them more independent and they don't rely on their parents so much. But when a child turns 18, he or she can not only drive but these "adults" can now make their own decisions. They can vote and choose who they want to be represented by, they can buy their own propety etc. etc. OK, some are not the brightest and some might still need some help with maturing into an adult. Everyone takes their own time, but the average of US citizens become adults when they turn 18.

• 18 years old

Because we deserve any right as any boy seems in this world. God gave us what we needed and deserve when we came to this world. And, we 18 years old have the right to do any thing we want. When you turn 18 you have the right to do anything you want.

• 18 in an adult

Yes..Even the constitution says that people over the age of 18 are adults.But some do not use the power they have within themselves.18 years is an age that we have to be and learn to indipended,because most of our legal supports such as grants are cancelled.It shows to me that you are an adult...

• 18 year olds own their own.

I agree that there are many 18 year olds who are not adult worthy. But you also there are people 21+ that are also not mature either. You have to consider 18 year olds who are own their own. I moved out my moms house when I was in 8th grade. I have made my own decisions for a while now. Im doing just fine. I consider myself very mature. Nobody pushed me or made me decisions yet I am doing fine. I am currently attending high school, I am about to go to college for Criminal Justice science. I will agree that there are many people who could not hold this responsibility but I am sure I am not the only successful mature 18 year old in the world. Many of my friends are 19-22 and I am the mature one of the group. So I would say yes, 18 year olds are adults. Not all of us are immature , party crazed kids.

• Yes and no

People should be given most legal rights at 18, such as the right to vote (which should be lowered to 16), own a firearm, join the military, etc, but not all responsibilities because 18 year olds are simply put not mature adults. Even 21 year olds are not. Let's face this reality.

• 18 as an adult

This is the age when many begin to take care of themselves.This is the age where teens become responsible for themselves in many ways. This can include financial responsibility, finding their own place, and paying their own insurance. The only thing they are missing out on at this age is drinking. This is the age in which people generally leave the comfort and safety of their parents and go out into the world to fend for themselves.

• NO! "That's why our youth now days are out of control"

I never thought 18 should be the legal age. An 18 year olds mind set is not done maturing, you don't fully stop until you're "21" which should actually be the legal age. That's why so many old men go after young teen's and it's up to the parent who barely has the rite of being a parent any more to try and save there children from corruption. My sister started dating a 24+ year old guy around the time she was 16 which later was found out he is a level3 sex offender, which now she's just completely out wild and out of control at only 18. They we're just children not even that long ago! Our legal system is set to destroy our youth and it's sick. It's already being proven, media targets and sexualises under age teens, make's being a virgin uncool so our teen's are out of control which targets our children as well, because now kids are even having sex, all this when there going through puberty and need there parent's guidance the most. Setting the age limit at 18 destroys the mind sets of young teens and makes them want to grow up too fast, which also destroys family relationships, look at what the media doe's, giving 16 year old girl's with baby's money and fame, which lead to girl's purposely getting pregnant just to be on TV. Young teen's dressing entirely way too grown for there age's and trying to act like woman when there not even finished growing. 18 year old boy's trying to be men when they don't even know the first thing about being a man or want to handle responsibilities as an adult, having sex and not knowing how or even want to take care of a child. There not even future, an you wonder why all these young mothers are raising babies on there own. You have old men staring at 16 year old girl's an younger not even caring of the age any more because there more easy to manipulate at 18, how can you be an adult when your still maturing and you're not even done growing, or can drink until your 21! Be serious people the proof is in the pudding "tale a look at how bad and wildly out of control our teen's an children are today" And you really believe they should be considered adult's? SMFH!..

• Still has the word teen

Like, why the heck is 18 considered an adult when it has the word TEEN in it. 18 and 19 are still teenagers. There are even 18 year olds in high school. I would consider 20 to be an adult. This is my opinion about 18 being considered an adult.

• It should be at least 20

I think that you are a child until at least age 20, if not 21. I'm 16, and i don't know if I will feel like an adult in two years but probably not. Plus eightTEEN and nineTEEN are still teens. And teens aren't really adults, in my opinion. So I think at least 20, and probably 21. Because by then, you will probably be thinking for yourself more, and you can make more adult decisions. Also, I mean 18 is just out of high school. By 21 you will have some more experience in the world. Again, just my opinion.

• Scientifically speaking it should actually be 25...

Obviously this will piss a lot of people off, mainly the kids that wanna be adults and get out of the house as soon as possible. Hell I don't like that idea one bit, because I know I don't want to be considered a minor until I'm 25. I do think some middle ground should be reached with an appropriate age that takes both morals and science into account, 20 seems like the perfect age to be considered an adult. But science is science. The more humans evolve we need to think of everything from a scientific standpoint, so we can evolve as a race. How can we if we're putting incompetent teenagers out there the moment they turn a certain age to carry out tasks they're not familiar with and to step in totally foreign terrain? As a species how is that being productive? I'm almost 21 and remember 18 vividly, because it was hell, I started college and absolutely nothing from my past 17 years could fully prepare me for it. I went straight from 17 to 18 and all of a sudden I was expected to handle so much at a time, without any prior training. Let me tell you about science because it really does matter a lot in this debate. The rational part of the human brain, the prefrontal cortex, is only 50% developed at 18 and won't reach 100% until the person is 25, that's why I said only scientifically speaking, the legal age should be 25. 18 year olds make mistakes all the fucking time, for godsakes they're still kids, they have their whole life ahead of them and have a lot to learn. Kids aren't rational, they fuck up. And your ability to be rational and mature isn't justified by your ability to drive, your ability to wait a table, you're ability to pay bills. 18 year olds can do everything i just listed, but they don't do it nearly as good as a 25 year old. They are extremely irresponsible, not that I'm saying they're children and should be treated like that, but they need more time to mature and be able to make important decisions given that they're teenagers who are still going through puberty as well as brain development. That's all I'm gonna say. 18 is too young. Sorry.

• Dfvd dfv dfv

Vdfvdf fdvd dfv v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v vv v v v v v v v vv v v v v v v v v v v

• We're still kids dammit

Ok so im 18 and i literally still feel like a 12 year old! I know NOTHING about the real world. Im still in high school. Dont have a car. Never had a job. Know nothing about money or savings. Know nothing about driving, working. I cant even get up for school on my own!! 18 year olds are still TEENS and i feel like if you have the word TEEN in your age then you should not be considered an adult. You should be allowed to have more rights as an 18 year old but thats about it. This whole "18 is the age of consent" thing is pretty disturbing to me as well!!!

• H h h

H h hh h h shhh h hh h hh hah h hah h h h hh h hh hh h h h hh h h h h h h h hh h h h h hh hh h h h hh h h hh h hh h hh h

• H h h

• Kids are adolescents until at least 23!

It is so stupid that you are legally an adult at 18. No, your brain isn't fully developed. Most 18-24 years olds are still incredibly naïve and childlike. Pediatric and adolescents should go through at least 23. Through law and medicine. 19 year olds still get scared in the hospital!

• No. 18 is not adulthood, no age can define adulthood. Only your maturity can define adulthood.

Half of the people that are 18 now are irresponsible and have no clue what they are doing. I'm not 18 and I am more responsible than my 18 year old cousin and her 18 year old dumb boyfriend. Only maturity define how adult like you are. If you are responsible and don't go over your limits set than you are an adult.