• Yes people need to eat meat

If, considering the possibility that this does happen, we all stop eating meat, then the livestock population would rise and we would be battling the said livestock for control of the vegetables and fruit. This would lead to an all out war, which we would eventually lose. Then the livestock would rain supreme and we would be tiny, skinny little people under their mighty feet. The livestock that we had stopped eating would start eating us and we would have the same conundrum all over again. So, we owe it to the human race to continue eating yummy beef and delicious chicken and juicy pork just to prevent an oncoming apocalypse. Remember, animals hold grudges. Don't let other peoples ignorance blind you from that fact.

• Yes, if they want to.

Not to argue that vegetarianism is problematic, if one so chooses, but eating meat is entirely legitimate. Animal life does not share the same value as human life, though cruelty to animals is of course morally wrong and betrays much about a person's character. Animals which are raised for food should be treated humanely. But eating meat is acceptable and specifically permitted by God. Also, meat provides some types of protein which are necessary for good health and are challenging (though not impossible) to obtain otherwise.

• Yes, people should eat meat

Yes, people should eat meat because in a diet that contains meat, it can be very healthy to a person. In a way, nature has provided humanity to be able to eat different organisms, and be able to extract nutrients from them. Also, eating plants are similar to eating animals because they also are organisms that have lives.

• It's a good source of iron.

Meat has a better source of iron than vegetables. If we all became vegetarian, then eventually there would be no plants left and then what would we do? The meat industry would also start to decline as the workers lose their job because there is not enough work for them.

• YES, People Need Meat

People should eat meat because meat provides a lot of good animal protein that human bodies need to function and thrive. Plant protein is good, but i believe meat protein is better. Many people are vegetarians for animal rights reason, but many others simply believe meat is too fattening to eat. This is not true. They are many varieties of lean meat.

• I like meat and animals

Why not? It's a free country. But I think factory style farms should all close so we can eat things that are animal cruelty free. Also eating meat is important to your body. I know that you can get protein from bean but mostly, proteins come from meats and fishes. So I think people should eat meat. But we shouldn't force people not to eat meat or force vegetarians or vegans to eat meat.

• Scientific, Historical, Philosophical, Futuristic.

If we were vegetarian, we would die early, scientifically speaking. Meat provides protein which is needed for important metabolic functions. Plus, evolutionary pathway predicts that the evolution of omnivorous humans is what separates us from our closely related chimpanzees. Early philosophers also developed indirect theories that supports this notion. What else? In a logical sense, without meat, we might all suffer from low iron contents and bodily built because wheat and vegetables can be produced so long before the land that grew them becomes poorly podsolized and industries begin another unethical approach in farming food. Remember, it's not meat that's unethical. It's the methodology that industries use that is unethical. ~WL~

• It´s necessary for some body

Humans can´t build by our self all the proteins that we need, if we don´t take from other sources of protein with high levels of amino acids like lysine, metionine, treonine..... And with and excellent biodisponibility as in the meat, milk and eggs, there will be deficiencies on the protein synthesis, basically in young people

• We are omnivores and we eat meat

Yes, we should eat meat. We are naturally omnivores, which eat pretty much everything. Meat is full of protein and other vitamins that are need in the body. In the end, it just tasty and I could imagine not have a juicy tasty piece of meat for my meals; it would be a crime.

• Humans are omnivores

We human beings have both canines and molars. Also, we do not have the chambers in our stomach that herbivores have. Our guts are not so big as herbivores. Except we can CHOOSE to eat meat or not. There are benefits for choosing either but I say eating meat is better. Even though meat is the least important food according to the food guide of Canada (I'm a canadian), the healthiest diet is to eat a nice, ballanced diet between plantae and animalia (plants and animals in case you did not know).

• No. No cattle should undergo torture.

I actually am not a vegetarian (I eat chicken and pork) but I do not believe in eating cow. Especially in this day and age with factory farming, who knows what is happening to that poor innocent animal. As an American, I also frown upon eating dog, cat, and horse. I mean, those are pets, and horses especially are loving companions.

• It's completely unproductive

In this day in age, there is no need to eat the flesh of animals, unless it is needed for survival. Today's factory farms do nothing but torture defenseless creatures. Whether you view other animals, notice I say other animals as humans are animals as well for those who were unaware or just choose to reject that fact, as less than humans, they should still be treated with respect. Not to mention the terrible things that eating the flesh of animals causes, such as cancer, diabetes ect. Also, the factory farming of animals does tremendous amount of damage to the earth. Ruining soil. Destroying forest. Wasting millions of gallons of water. If we just stopped eating this garbage, no one In this world would go hungry. It takes 15 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of meat. It's completely unproductive. It makes no sense to grow food to feed food. It's just not necessary. And it's doing so much harm just for people's taste buds. And as people say, " I'm free to eat whatever I want" and yes that's true, you are free to do as you please so long as its not hurting anyone else, but when you pay to have someone torture and slit the throats of millions of animals a day. You are hurting living creatures. If you have no more respect for this earth than that, then I feel very sorry for you.

Posted by: Aus
  • No

If someone came over to my house for dinner and I served them dog meat they would freak out. People love their pets, they acknowledge their value as living creatures with emotions and a will to live. So why is it that cows, pigs, and other farmed animals are deemed acceptable to slaughter in mass for human consumption? Yeah animals aren't as smart as humans, but does that give us the right to eat them? Theres a lot of dumb people out there, can I eat them too?
    Raising animals for slaughter is the number one contributor to green house gas emissions, factory farms waist more food then they produce (in feeding animals so that they grow); and it is common practice in factory farms to cut bits and pieces off living animals without any anesthetic. Sure it tastes good, but is eating meat really worth it? I don't think so.

• The decision to not eat meat is about much, much more than someone's moral opinion on whether it is ethical to slaughter animals.

300,000 whales, porpoises, and dolphins are killed each year in fishing nets, plus an additional 100 million sharks per year. 1/3 of all shark species are nearing extinction. There are only 400 north Atlantic whales left in the world due to lobster farming. Koala bears will be extinct in the next 50 years because their habitat is being destroyed for livestock. In the past few years we over-fished cod populations to near extinction. Their populations will not recover within our lifetime. This is the case for thousands and thousands of species on Earth that you all already know about, like orangutans.

The world's rain forests are home to 50% of all living things on earth and produce 20% of the world's oxygen each year. 91% of the Amazon rain forest and 95% of Brazil's rain forest have been destroyed to raise livestock.

1/2-1/3 of all carbon emission produced each year comes from animal farming. That is more pollution than the entire transportation system: every train, every car, every plane. It is more than the pollution from fossil fuels.

6 million children will starve to death this year because plant food in their area is fed to animals. 1/4 of the grain produced in third-world countries is given to livestock. In 2011 there was a record amount of grain harvested in the world: 2.5 billion tons. Half of that was fed to animals in the meat and dairy industry. 77% of the grain in the world goes to livestock.

45% of the landmass of earth is used in some way to support livestock farming. 78% of land in the US is used for livestock farming, but only 3% of the 90 million cows and 70 million pigs on livestock farms in the US are in open pastures (and they still use 78% of the land agriculture in the US). Only 3% of livestock in the US live in open pastures, which means animals like egg-laying hens live in such crowded conditions (each hen gets less than the size of an I-Pad) that they will never be able to spread their wings during their entire lives, or touch the earth, or see sunlight, or breathe fresh air. The conditions for all animals on factory farms is hellish.

You can produce 15 times more plant protein than animal protein on any area of land. You can produce 30,000 lbs of plant food per acre but only 50 to 480 lbs of meat per acre.

In the last hour alone over 8 million animals were slaughtered, 114,153 tons of grain was fed to livestock while 684 people starved to death, 6,000 acres of tropical rain forest was destroyed and replaced by cattle, and over 4 million tons of greenhouse gases were dumped into the ozone by livestock farms.

• No. Not unless they need it for survival.

In general, eating animals is not an efficient use of natural or human resources. It is far more sustainable to focus on a vegetarian diet, especially in the age of factory farming. Those who adopt a vegetarian diet are on average healthier and have lower rates of cancer and other diseases. Unless your life is threatened and meat is the only food, there is no need to eat it.

• It isn't meant to be

Did you know that people kill calves that are still nursing from their mother because it's "delicious"? Every time you do that, did you know the mother cow dies slowly of sadness? This is true. I lived near a farm and they killed the mother cow and every day I would hear her looking for her calf and calling for her calf. Cows love everyone even if it's the person who killed their child. That's why they're the sacred animal of India. And not just cows! All the animals that we eat! Animals can sense the energy around other living things. The other day there was a jackrabbit on my lawn. It saw me, but watched me as I watched it. It wasn't scared of me. Why? The energy around me showed that I do not harm other animals or eat other animals. Do they run scared from you? You eat meat is the reason why. I hope people who read this understand.

• The evidence is overwhelming

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/uprooting-the-leading-causes-of-death/

Check out this link because it goes over the vast amount of research the indicts meat in the majority of the leading causes of mortality. To argue against this much research is absurd.. Oh and to boot there is not reason to take animal life in order to live.

• We can survive just fine without having to kill a living being.

We aren't lions or tigers. We have a sophisticated sense of morality and ethics....And we biologically have no need whatsoever to eat meat. All the nutrients we need can be gotten from a vegan diet. Furthermore, speaking from an evolution standpoint, evidence indicates our species originated as herbivores. If you really think logically, there is no ethical support for killing and torturing an innocent animal just to please our taste buds, especially not when so many tantalizing meals can be had from a strictly plant-based diet!

• I think its definitely disgusting to eat animals.

Try to understand the fear and torture that animals go though before and after being killed. Animals have similar features as we do, they have eyes, feet, body. Animals are killed in blood and then people eat them selfishly and not thinking what damage it has caused to animals. Lives.

• Just because you could does not mean that you should.

Animals are sentients - much like us humans. If we are eating them, we have lost our emotions and compassion. Animals do have emotions. What differentiates a human from a robot? Emotions and compassion. We should not live like simple turing machines feeding for our tastes. It is speciesist to eat animals, which is like racism which would logically automatically imply something similar to a statemant like "Black People live for working under the whites, and white people can do anything with them".