• Yes people need to eat meat

If, considering the possibility that this does happen, we all stop eating meat, then the livestock population would rise and we would be battling the said livestock for control of the vegetables and fruit. This would lead to an all out war, which we would eventually lose. Then the livestock would rain supreme and we would be tiny, skinny little people under their mighty feet. The livestock that we had stopped eating would start eating us and we would have the same conundrum all over again. So, we owe it to the human race to continue eating yummy beef and delicious chicken and juicy pork just to prevent an oncoming apocalypse. Remember, animals hold grudges. Don't let other peoples ignorance blind you from that fact.

• Yes, if they want to.

Not to argue that vegetarianism is problematic, if one so chooses, but eating meat is entirely legitimate. Animal life does not share the same value as human life, though cruelty to animals is of course morally wrong and betrays much about a person's character. Animals which are raised for food should be treated humanely. But eating meat is acceptable and specifically permitted by God. Also, meat provides some types of protein which are necessary for good health and are challenging (though not impossible) to obtain otherwise.

• Yes, people should eat meat

Yes, people should eat meat because in a diet that contains meat, it can be very healthy to a person. In a way, nature has provided humanity to be able to eat different organisms, and be able to extract nutrients from them. Also, eating plants are similar to eating animals because they also are organisms that have lives.

• It's a good source of iron.

Meat has a better source of iron than vegetables. If we all became vegetarian, then eventually there would be no plants left and then what would we do? The meat industry would also start to decline as the workers lose their job because there is not enough work for them.

• YES, People Need Meat

People should eat meat because meat provides a lot of good animal protein that human bodies need to function and thrive. Plant protein is good, but i believe meat protein is better. Many people are vegetarians for animal rights reason, but many others simply believe meat is too fattening to eat. This is not true. They are many varieties of lean meat.

• I'm a former vegetarian who returned to (eating) the fold.

Until recently I've wanted desperately to believe that eating animals is unnatural because we lack the teeth, claws, speed, instincts and digestive setup to catch, kill and safely ingest other animals. It's been a nice moral high ground to take for a while. After all it feels innately horrible to cage or murder a living thing and innately good to look after it and keep it safe and free-roaming. (Just think about your pets).

But the more I've looked at the evolutionary research and historical evidence for the human diet over the past few months, the more vegetarianism has become a grey area for me.

Taking my feelings and preconceptions out of the equation, I looked deeper and deeper into the sustainability of a vegetarian lifestyle. I'd already tried veganism and discovered that it was easy to suffer with serious (potentially fatal) nutrient deficiencies. Especially vital B vitamins, which are only found in animal-based food, in bugs and in the bacteria in soil (anyone fancy risking eating the soil left on their veggies?).

Ok, I thought, I'll just stick to being vegetarian instead. But it didn't take much research to learn that there's not a single indigenous tribe on the planet with a purely vegetarian diet. Looking into it more, there's still evidence of significant nutrient deficiencies in vegetarian diets -- notably iron, zinc, B vitamins and vitamin D. Effects of these deficiencies on health have been shown to include brain shrinkage(!) (look it up), depression, foggy-headedness and hormonal imbalance. I may be a vegetarian, I thought to myself, but I'm a believer in science and evidence first.

It seems that without a significant amount of time and careful research invested into the right taking pills and supplements, it becomes difficult to sustain a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle without risking deficiencies and even damage to your health. Indigenous tribes and our ancient ancestors didn't have access to pills and supplements so that they could avoid eating animal foods -- not even dairy products -- which would tell me that they made up for these deficiencies naturally by eating meat, eggs and fish.

Luckily I've never been in a position where I'm physically starving or put at risk by the rest of the natural world, but if I ever was I imagine the boundaries would begin to blur between what I could and couldn't eat if I was days from death.

I'm sure some people won't like it, but personally I think I've made an informed decision to go back to eating meat.

• Because it's so good

Its good because you get protein important minerals a balanced diet and rich vitamins. Another thing is people eat cattle and other thing;s but not there pets because they are domesticated and made to be a companion and not a food unlike cattle. Us humans can also use the milk from animals have you herd of osteoporosis!!?!?

• It would be double standard

The only way we can stop eating meat is to adopt a complete plant diet. But the thing many people forget is that plants are living beings as well!!
    Plants feel pain as well. So it would be a double standard to stop eating meat on the basis of 'killing a living thing' but continue to eat plants, Or of course, the other choice is starvation and extinction.

• Eating meat is fine.

Look, We grew up being meat-eaters, We kill cows and pigs so we can eat their remains, That is true. Eating plants is sort-of... When you eat it you don't exactly get the best-of nutrients from it.

Our ancestors also got smart by eating meat. Nutrients, animals, cows have something called 'fermenting vats', A place in their stomach where microbes attack the food to digest it ,Whereas. Humans do not have these 'fermenting vats'

Our digestive system is designed to make use of the nutrients that are found in animals. Truth's that we're omnivores, We can eat plants and animals. Meat contains the stuff we need and to function. It's also proven that, Avoid eating meat and you'll be healthier. We do need meat to operate. Properly.

The food chain is a good example how eating meat is the way of the world.

• Eating meat is wrong

There is no way to morally justify eating meat, but were not selfless people. We need to have the intellectual humility to admit to that... Some are, and we should respect them, if you eat meat, you are a lazy person but that is socially acceptable. So well yes, it is ok to meat meat but it's not right

• No. No cattle should undergo torture.

I actually am not a vegetarian (I eat chicken and pork) but I do not believe in eating cow. Especially in this day and age with factory farming, who knows what is happening to that poor innocent animal. As an American, I also frown upon eating dog, cat, and horse. I mean, those are pets, and horses especially are loving companions.

• It's completely unproductive

In this day in age, there is no need to eat the flesh of animals, unless it is needed for survival. Today's factory farms do nothing but torture defenseless creatures. Whether you view other animals, notice I say other animals as humans are animals as well for those who were unaware or just choose to reject that fact, as less than humans, they should still be treated with respect. Not to mention the terrible things that eating the flesh of animals causes, such as cancer, diabetes ect. Also, the factory farming of animals does tremendous amount of damage to the earth. Ruining soil. Destroying forest. Wasting millions of gallons of water. If we just stopped eating this garbage, no one In this world would go hungry. It takes 15 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of meat. It's completely unproductive. It makes no sense to grow food to feed food. It's just not necessary. And it's doing so much harm just for people's taste buds. And as people say, " I'm free to eat whatever I want" and yes that's true, you are free to do as you please so long as its not hurting anyone else, but when you pay to have someone torture and slit the throats of millions of animals a day. You are hurting living creatures. If you have no more respect for this earth than that, then I feel very sorry for you.

Posted by: Aus
  • No

If someone came over to my house for dinner and I served them dog meat they would freak out. People love their pets, they acknowledge their value as living creatures with emotions and a will to live. So why is it that cows, pigs, and other farmed animals are deemed acceptable to slaughter in mass for human consumption? Yeah animals aren't as smart as humans, but does that give us the right to eat them? Theres a lot of dumb people out there, can I eat them too?
    Raising animals for slaughter is the number one contributor to green house gas emissions, factory farms waist more food then they produce (in feeding animals so that they grow); and it is common practice in factory farms to cut bits and pieces off living animals without any anesthetic. Sure it tastes good, but is eating meat really worth it? I don't think so.

• The decision to not eat meat is about much, much more than someone's moral opinion on whether it is ethical to slaughter animals.

300,000 whales, porpoises, and dolphins are killed each year in fishing nets, plus an additional 100 million sharks per year. 1/3 of all shark species are nearing extinction. There are only 400 north Atlantic whales left in the world due to lobster farming. Koala bears will be extinct in the next 50 years because their habitat is being destroyed for livestock. In the past few years we over-fished cod populations to near extinction. Their populations will not recover within our lifetime. This is the case for thousands and thousands of species on Earth that you all already know about, like orangutans.

The world's rain forests are home to 50% of all living things on earth and produce 20% of the world's oxygen each year. 91% of the Amazon rain forest and 95% of Brazil's rain forest have been destroyed to raise livestock.

1/2-1/3 of all carbon emission produced each year comes from animal farming. That is more pollution than the entire transportation system: every train, every car, every plane. It is more than the pollution from fossil fuels.

6 million children will starve to death this year because plant food in their area is fed to animals. 1/4 of the grain produced in third-world countries is given to livestock. In 2011 there was a record amount of grain harvested in the world: 2.5 billion tons. Half of that was fed to animals in the meat and dairy industry. 77% of the grain in the world goes to livestock.

45% of the landmass of earth is used in some way to support livestock farming. 78% of land in the US is used for livestock farming, but only 3% of the 90 million cows and 70 million pigs on livestock farms in the US are in open pastures (and they still use 78% of the land agriculture in the US). Only 3% of livestock in the US live in open pastures, which means animals like egg-laying hens live in such crowded conditions (each hen gets less than the size of an I-Pad) that they will never be able to spread their wings during their entire lives, or touch the earth, or see sunlight, or breathe fresh air. The conditions for all animals on factory farms is hellish.

You can produce 15 times more plant protein than animal protein on any area of land. You can produce 30,000 lbs of plant food per acre but only 50 to 480 lbs of meat per acre.

In the last hour alone over 8 million animals were slaughtered, 114,153 tons of grain was fed to livestock while 684 people starved to death, 6,000 acres of tropical rain forest was destroyed and replaced by cattle, and over 4 million tons of greenhouse gases were dumped into the ozone by livestock farms.

• No. Not unless they need it for survival.

In general, eating animals is not an efficient use of natural or human resources. It is far more sustainable to focus on a vegetarian diet, especially in the age of factory farming. Those who adopt a vegetarian diet are on average healthier and have lower rates of cancer and other diseases. Unless your life is threatened and meat is the only food, there is no need to eat it.

• Be vegetarian for the planet :)

I want to be vegetarian for a week or more. I started thinking of that when i started reading peta's stuff. Sure, i disagree with those stupid games, but i agree with their vegetarian thing. Eating animals are like eating their rotting bodies. They are just so cute :)

Be vegan for mankind's welfare!

Posted by: deab
  • I would, but I hate the idea of factory farms.

It's natural for animals to eat meat. Some experts say that we are more herbivorous, and that might be true. Our stomachs are not suited to raw meat, which leads people to believe that we thrive on a plant-based diet.

Honestly, a little meat won't do us any harm. As I said, it's natural for animals to eat other animals. But it's NOT natural to confine them, artificially impregnate them and slaughter them at a few weeks old.

Do other animals do that? Of course not. Factory Farming is downright wrong. Too intense. Unnatural. Research it and you'll soon see what I mean.

It's why I'm vegetarian.

• Perhaps there are some, but most should not.

It's clear that meat has played a major role in many aspect of human evolution and even the evolution of our digestive tract, so that, while we are rather obviously anatomically herbvores, we have become omnivorous as well. There are cultures, nations, tribes who are adapted to and reliant on such a diet, who have had little else but animal sources food to eat for millennia; should they starve for my ethical principals? I am very happy knowing that no animals have been killed for my taste preferences, but also mindful that I am privileged in having the choice. We are not all the same, and I won't speak for all "people." I have not knowingly eaten animals for 45 year nor worn their skins; it's unnecessary, cruel, environmentally unsound, medically harmful, how many win/win/wins does one need? But I can not say for certain this will work for everyone (and I am not trying to excuse the billions effectively addicted to meat consumption; they can get over that).

• Vegetables actually have MORE protein!

Did you know that vegetables actually have more protein than meat? I am a food doctor and since becoming a vegetarian, I am fitter, less stressful, and happier. Believe it or not, my boss has given me a pay rise because I'm much more happy and lively at work. Not to mention, being a meat eater is cruel and inhumane.

• Humans should not eat meat because

I think that people should not eat meat because the animals are first beaten and then killed and then the humans put there meat up on hooks. Secondly we do not need meat some people think that we do but we don't because we can get our protein from beans and other things we don't need meat. Thirdly people put the animals in spaces were they can't even turn around in and the animals get sick and die and then the people in the factories just through out the meat and move on to the next meat source. That is why I think that people should stop eating meat.