Should people have to pass a drug test to get food stamps?

• Everyone Else Has To!

I have to get drug-tested in order to earn the money to pay taxes; why should a person not have to be drug-tested in order to receive that money in the form of food stamps? Also, if someone is receiving food stamps, it is being assumed that they can't afford to even feed themselves. Drugs are EXPENSIVE. If they can afford drugs, they ought to be able to afford food (or at least more than they're getting already while taking the drugs). For those who take the test and it comes out positive for drug use, they'll have to either stop and use their drug money for food, find a willing charity, or die. That's the choice they have to make. And it's not cruel- if you don't even think your own life is worth the effort of trying to make money to buy food, why should other people be made to buy it for you?

• Yes

if I have to take a drug test to work and pay taxes which go to your food stamps then you need to be drug tested before receiving the help. I've seen people exchange food stamps for drugs and it's not that hard and it's so stupid. If you aren't doing drugs then you should have no problem peeing in a cup to get help.

• Why not?

I have to take a DOT drug test once a year as well as any time my employers wishes or if I get injured. If I have to take a drug test to work and pay the taxes that fund the food stamp program than why wouldn't someone drawing food stamps have to do the same thing? Everyone wants equality right?

• Yes - they need to prove they are not a leach to society

It is a complete slap in the face to hard-working people whose tax dollars go to food stamp recipients if those recipients contribute nothing to society except worsening the drug problem. Food stamps should only be provided to people that are actively looking to better themselves and their families, not rejects who do nothing but sit around and break the law.

• I think so.

To receive food stamp benefits there should be more regulations and testing, I do support drug testing for food stamps. There are many people who abuse the program, the first person to abuse the program did so not long after the first pilot of the program started. If you are receiving aid from the government you should be a law abiding citizen.

• yes

Yes they should have to get drug tested. I have three children and work two jobs. The last thing I want is for my hard earned tax dollars to go to someone who could be working but instead wants to get high! We have to pass a drug test to work. So they should have to pass a drug test for something that's handed to them!

• Should people have to pass a drug test to get food stamps

If you afford to get high you can afford to buy food. It costs way more money to get drunk or high than it costs to eat. Not only that but with a lot of stores buying peoples food stamps for $.50 on the dollar, they don't use their food stamps for food anyway so in a way our government is enabling and encouraging drug and alcohol abuse. I can say this for absolute because I have seen it personally and anyone that says it isn't true is a bold faced liar, bottom line.

• US War on drugs is a JOKE

The government 100% enables people to continue using drugs and beating their wives and children, in fact they pay people for it!! If the United States actually wants to put a dent into this "war on drugs" they speak of they need to randomly drug test anyone receiving free anything! Not give them w while to locate fake urine, have someone else urinate for them, or wait a week for their system to clean out. I am part of the disappearing middle class in this country working my butt of to pay my bills and there are people who will continue to do what they do because they are being paid to continue engaging in illegal activities!!

• Pee to take

Food Stamps?
    I feel in my heart that people should be drug tested if they are going to receive Welfare and Food Stamps. Nowadays there are a lot of homeless people and they are very hungry and can’t afford food so obviously they are going to try apply for food stamps. But some of these homeless people are very smart on what they do with these food stamps i’ve witnessed it with my own eyes.The people out there are causing big problems with drugs and drugs comes into the picture of food stamps because some people that are applying for food stamp don’t want the food necessarily, but what it is worth which is drugs.
    If people come and apply for food stamps and they are showing symptoms of drugs then they should get automatically drug tested. It wouldn’t be fair if a drug addict got food stamps and a desperate person in need of help didn’t.

• I say yes

I get food stamps and if they want to drug test me I have nothing to hide and if you really need them and your not on drugs you shouldn't have a problem with it I will pee in a cup and be grateful for them helping put food on my table for my kids

• Ive been on food stamps for 18 months

I have to admit, I smoke weed once in a while after work to relax and I dont see anything wrong with it. I get $650. A month from the government to feed my family, but I have never sold food stamps to pay for my weed. I sell weed on the side, just enough to pay for my own habit. So as long as I use my food stamps for food, I dont see the problem. Its not your money so dont worry about it.

• No there should not be drug test for food stamps.

No you should not drug test people in order for them to get food stamps. There is to much controversy going on about this, and I am so sick of it. If people are hungry and need help then help them stop being so worried if the hit a joint before. I work a full time job and I still do not make enough I receive medicaid and food stamps, while I do not do drugs I would be upset that I would have to go pee in a cup before you would allow me to get help to feed my kids.

• Lack of funding.

Who is going to pay for the drug test? The government is having enough problems with funding for public assistance. I recently heard that the person who wants the assistance may have to pay for the test. If this is so, how can they expect people to pay for a test, if they do not have money for food? You can't suspect all people receiving food stamps is selling it for drugs, it is unethical. One can also say, people work and rip off their employers, they are not being patted down before leaving work.

• Should gun owners be drug tested?

The answer is no because it presumes guilt without evidence. It's nothing but racist drivel and latent hatred for anybody who is struggling to put food on the table. In this decade of recession and joblessness where 4 job applicants compete for every job opening in this country, you can hardly drug test every person who needs some assistance putting food on the table. It also suggests more government bureaucracy to administer the drug testing . Get real people.

• Expensive way to get people off benefits

The only reason there'd be for doing mandatory testing is if you could sell your stamps for drugs. But you can't sell your food stamps anymore as they're not made of paper...It's your photo ID Benefit card that you use for EBT, like a credit card. Anyhow, what drugs would they be testing for, because these days a lot of people are strung out on (legal) pills, besides the weed, crack and meth. Will you have to bring your RX bottles to show them? What if you smoked weed a month ago but it still comes up positive? How much would this testing be costing the Government? Life is rough when you're poor. In this society money is power. When you're poor you have no power and many times the only thing that makes life tolerable is drugs. Taking away something you can't sell for drugs they way you could when food stamps were made of paper is a complete waste of time and money.

• Only if Congress Can Pass The Same Tests

Drug testing the poor at taxpayer expense -- there's money for that, but we won't cure them, even to save our own population, if they have hepatitis or need a vaccine? Here's an idea for fairness: Every politician who voted for drug testing people who receive taxpayer dollars should IMMEDIATELY be drug tested, and should have frequent random drug tests throughout the rest of his or her employment with the US government. The same argument they made in order to justify this applies, and I don't care to pay the salary of any hypocritical drug-using congress member who votes this kind of intrusive measure into being. If they manage to stay clean (and no DUIs, either, people), then at least they actually believe what they are selling us. Next we can implement the drug-testing program everywhere our tax dollars are going, right? Big agribusinesses, defense contractors, the many bailed-out financial-sector corporations... Line up, folks, you receive a LOT of taxpayer money.

• This has nothing to do with drugs

Some and honestly not all of people on public assistance, need it agreed. Just like a rich lawyer fraud the system and making lots of money, like that is really so unusual to hear about, yea we don't hear about it. The people not working, been there all there life's, teach there kids this is how life is this group of people will do what all these comments are referring to. Your not really referring to the people driving the nicer car then you or having a bigger house then you OR wearing nicer and more expensive close then you are, because these are the other group of people, the rich, the ones that put the last thing he owned and the last bit of knowledge he/she has and he/she did loose there job, or there business, the pressure of a divorce and a job loss. This is why you see people with more then you pay with food stamp cards. They had more then you do!!!!!
    Drugs have nothing to do with it, the thing you can do- I pay for someones groceries and them pay you cash for it - THEN you can go buy drugs with it. But food stamps is no link to drugs weather I do them or not. What this will say is because I am addicted to a substance, which very will the doctors may have caused it, do you know how easy it is to get pills of a doctor about stress, and alter my mood type pills? What other acceptations have to play a roll?

• Sounds reasonable but doesn't work as intended.

1. People on welfare do not use drugs at higher rates than the general population.
    2. It is not cost effective. It costs more to administer the tests than the money saved by weeding out "users", most of whom are only on the pot.
    3. There's no evidence that giving drug users food stamps will promote their drug use.
    4. It punishes families and children for one person's habit.
    5. It diverts attention from those who are the real drains on the system: CEOs who put their money in tax havens and banksters who are too big to fail. Yes, some food stamps users abuse the service, but in the larger scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket compared to the damage done by the rich.

• No, for many reasons.

Many people are talking about people who get food stamps, sell them, and then use that money to buy drugs. Since 2004 though food stamps are distributed on cards (similar to bank cards) with their information on them. As far as I know you can't really sell your bank card, it is likewise with these cards, which are called Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT).
    Another thing I'm seeing is people whining that they had to take a drug test for their work and therefore to pay the taxes being spent on food stamps. I think you people are confusing the issue by relating two things that should not be related. You are talking about instances where your specific job happened to require a drug test. So maybe your job is important and people take drug tests for safety reasons. Also it needs to be remembered that not all people who work need to take a drug test and so not everyone has to take a drug test to "pay their taxes". It therefore doesn't seem fair to make everyone on food stamps take a drug test just because there are some people who have to take one to work. In any case, the argument that "I did it, so they have to" just isn't very good because it's like saying everyone should get treated the same way despite circumstances.
    Finally, I happen to know that food stamps help kids as well as adults. I grew up in a family of twelve and if not for food stamps we probably would have been forced apart into foster homes or something, which would have devastated everyone. For kids to be split up because their parents did something wrong is simply unfair and probably the one of the worst things out there. And I know I would be enraged if my mom now, after being on food stamps for years (and still is as she is a single mother supporting five kids on her own with a low income job) was asked to take a drug test that would just take up her time because she does not abuse the system and as such does not deserve to be treated in such a way.

• BLLW not right

Me and my sister work and get food stamps. Have been working at the same job more than 2 years, like the comments said not all people who get food stamps are drug addicts. And plus, how y'all know people selling their food stamps for drugs? For all we know it could be you, so shut up with the BS.