Should people have to pay an extra tax on soda or junk food?

Asked by: Lets-debate-bro
  • I support sin taxes because historically they work:

Sin Taxes do work. I mean with obesity being the major epidemic making junk food more costly than healthier alternatives (which sadly is the opposite of the current situation) makes a lot of sense. The truth is that most people eat junk food because it's cheap, not because they seek it out, and while buying soft drinks etc. for pleasure or parties won't hurt the bank making it the stable fluid you drink should.

• Yes it should!

Having to pay for more taxes would attempt to offset the economical cost that diseases and conditions that are related to poor nutrition have on the country's health care system. People are getting taxed more and more for things such as cigarettes so why not increase taxes for fast food? It might deter people away and instead go for a more healthy food source if the prices are more similar than they are now due to the cost of products being one of the main reasons why people may tend to eat junk.

• I say yes

I say yes because it will help more people eat healthier.

• I say yes

• Because it will help with tax

A a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

• Because it will help with tax

• The choice affects everyone,

Under the Affordable Care Act, (Obama Care), every United States Citizen must have health care. When someone intakes a large amount of soda they can contract diabetes and other health issues. This makes their insurance more expensive since they hold a high risk. This increase directly or indirectly affects everyone, since this person now costs more to the company, the company is spending more money, and since it is a company they need to make money, ergo, they raise their rates. So yes, I do believe that these people should pay more through the tax of junk food and soda.

Yes, it is their choice, but their choice is not only affecting them, it is affecting everyone.

• I think it's necessary

This is necessary in my opinion. You who say no have good points, but I don't see how it violates rights. I like junk food too, and this tax will help limit how much of it we eat, and the extra money can be used to create new schools and jobs for people.

• Because health and education

If slight tax is added to junk food people will be healthier first off and money can go to schools for education where it was meant to go when they tried to make it so. Like why would you want kids to grow up obese and see that as the right thing asm"normal" it's not right

• Because health and education

• That would be a violation of rights

Yes. Junk food is bad. Most people know that, yet they choose to eat it. I eat it occasionally too. There's no harm in that. Some people eat it more often than they should, which causes harm to them, but that is their right to damage their health if they choose to do so. Besides, how on earth would we agree on which foods are "good" and which ones are junk? We really couldn't. What if we decided to tax everything that was considered bad for us? Most of the population would go broke. Besides, it would be a violation of people's rights in my opinion.

• No. It will only increase the prices of food and bring down businesses.

This is a capitalist society. There should be little tax on everything in order to make sure that both businesses and people have enough money to expand and grow the economy. A tax on food will do nothing more than scare people away from fast food chains and this lack of business will lead to a lack of demand for jobs which in turn will negatively effect the economy

• Let me feed on what I want!!!

Let me feed on what I want, what is the point of taxing my food but not yours? I like mcdonald and people who hate dont need to go around and force people not to go there, they just need not to go there, it is a democracy, let me eat what I want!!!

• Don't tell me what to do.

I say no because people have the right to do what they want. The government only has the right to tell people what to do if they violate the rights of other people. We the people have had enough of the government telling us what to do. Random word filler here.

• No, there shouldn't be any taxes on junk food

I'm not an avid junk food fun and eater, but introducing the idea to pay more only because this food considered to be not a healthy option to eat is complete nonsence. You know, bread and sauces in supermarkets might be harmful as well. For example, I can buy a kilo of potatos and fry it at home, if I want some french fries, but I simply don't have time and desire to go to the shop, cut potatos, fry it, I simply go to a local fast food restaurant and buy it. Why should I be penalized if I give my own money in order to get something that I want to consume, but simply don't have time and desire to cook? So, does it mean that someone who sells potato should ask me if I am about to fry it in oil or boil it in water which is healthy, and take some extra money if I don't fall under the latter? If I want some junk food, I will eat in a-n-y-w-a-y-s. So, I do not support this idea.

• There is no such thing as a good tax

I think Winston Churchill speaks for all of us when he said that. It's pointless to tax junk food and soda, seeing as people already pay a tax for it. A "special" tax is just showing you don't trust the people and thus, you show what kind of leader you are.

• No tax !

I see the benefits a junk food and soda tax could have, such as deterring some people from purchasing as much soda and junk food due to the expense. And if the tax used was spent on healthcare I can see how it all relates. It may reduce obesity and other illness stats a bit too. However, I doubt it would make a HUGE difference. People still enjoy junk food and I believe that many would continue to purchase it, even with the tax. If the tax were to work well and many people stopped purchasing/purchased less junk food and soda then these companies would be earning less and would likely have to cut jobs. Cutting jobs is not a good thing for anyone nor the economy.

Also, one last thing I'd like to mention is that junk food and soda don't always cause health issues. If consumed in moderation they can do little - no harm at all.

• No Way Thats Crazy

They can't taxt us on this we eat this about every day, yes it is unhealthy but we know that alredy that why they call it Junk Food. If we want to eat it we can and we shouldn't be charged extra foir it. I don't want to walk into a gas station and get a candy bar and get charged more because I am craving something sweet to eat.

• Nooooo you poo

I feel as this causes other ppl to much money and outs ppl of jobs they need money for fami;ly and needs so what EVA YOU SMELL LIKE POOP YOURE A DOODY HEAD YOU SMELL LIKE A CRAP SICLE THAT IS STEAMING HOT JUST CAME OUT OF BOOTY HOLE CRAP.

• Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i dont think so

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no