Should people in the military who are underage be allowed to drink alcohol?

Asked by: hepster
  • Willingness to die for the country

I do believe that anyone that is in the military should be allowed to drink. Even if they are under the age of 21. After all at the age of 18 you are allowed to smoke and die for your country. If allowed the underage military personal should have to use a special ID to buy alcohol.

• Willing to Die for your country

This is an extremely simple topic, and is hard for people who do not have relatives in the military to understand. If you are willing to die for your country, you should be aloud to drink a beer. First off the drinking age should be 18 because adults should be aloud to consume alcohol. Soldiers should be aloud to consume alcohol because their bravery shows the maturity required to drink.

• Or we should just change the military age to 21!

Maybe not everyone at 18 (or 21 or 30 for that matter) is responsible with alcohol. But if you're not responsible with alcohol how are you going to be responsible with military equipment. Serving in the military is a HUGE responsibility. Can we please agree to keep law CONSISTENT!? It's not consistent to assert that people 18-20 aren't responsible enough to drink but they're responsible enough to serve in the military.

• They're going to die anyways

If they're old enough to get fucking shot to death, They're old enough to drink alcohol. A bottle of Jack and a bullet, and we thing the bullet is less harmful? That's fucking insane and anyone willing to argue that point is retarded. Logic, go get some you mother fucker.

• Cause its good

Most of the people who said no brought up the point about drunks holding guns. Most of the military is older than 21 and we have no issues with them, so why would we have a problem with those who are a little younger? No other military has this issue,

• Why the fuck not

They may not wake up the next day. Blood is spilt in order for our freedom. Enjoy bashing others with your freedom of speech or sleeping tight every night not having to hope your house is obliterated from rebels. Enjoy waking up the next day, you sure as will. People in active duty military may not be as lucky as you; moreover, you sure are lucky to not be in combat.

• If someone is in the military is underage should be able to drink.

I think 18 year olds should be able to drink alcohol in the military because if they are risking their lives to fight for our country they should be allowed to drink alcohol in my perspective. If all the other people in the military can drink alcohol why can't the underage drink it's messed up too me.

• Yes they should..

Because if they are willing to die and serve for there country why not let them have a drink? For those of you on here who havent been in the army or in service you dont understand what they have been through your going in at such a young age experiencing the limits of yourself and becoming someone new. It physically and mentally changes you. After everything they go through let them have a drink. They deserve it more then anything there actually out there fighting. Instead of sitting there watching on the news what is going on they actually are out there on that field facing these dangers. So yes they should be able to have a drink.

• There willing to protect and die for you and your family but...

Your saying they cant drink? That makes no sense. At 18 you can be charged as an adult for crimes, you can smoke, and you can sign up for the military. Now if that doesn't make you and adult what does? So because you come home from your stressful day job and are 21 you can drink but someone whose been shot at and gone through stress you cant understand not have a drink. I guess only military families understand.

• Of course. They deserve it.

If they can risk their life fighting for this country. It should at least pay them the due respect that they deserve whether or not that is in the form of a glass of scotch. This 21 law is a disgrace to our young Americans who go overseas and defend our nation.

• Being in the military does not make you responsible.

I am a veteran and served in Iraq before I was old enough to drink. At the time I thought it was not right for underage service members to be unable to drink, however I now completely agree with the law. If you want to drink before age 21, there are ways to work it out with family or your unit, the law helps prevent complete irresponsibility when you are too young to know better. Legalizing alcohol for underage service members would create more problems that it would be worth. Besides, when you grow up a bit you will realize that you weren't really missing out on anything to begin with.

• Soldiers Can Still Abuse Alcohol

Just because you are in the military does not mean you are "mature" enough to handle it. Have you ever heard of The Lost Generation? After World War I many soldiers in an effort to find meaning in life after witnessing so many horrors drowned themselves in drugs and alcohol, therefore destroying themselves. There are plenty of ex-military personnel that have gotten DUIs and plenty that have been sent to the emergency room for alcohol-related problems. Your argument of 18 minimum age, because they are adults is irrelevant. The drinking age is set at 21, because crucial brain development is occurring in the teen years which could be negatively affected by alcoholic products. Being in the armed forces is great! You gain lots of experience and physical, as well as, mental training. However, they are still only human.

• You want drunk people in the army?

Sure the booze isn't going to be passed around before a battle, but there isn't going to be any doubt that there are going to be to be people who will sneak a drink to ease their anxieties. Should the military even be allowed to drinking alcohol at all while on duty?

• Drinking Age Is Still Drinking Age

Just because you join the military doesn't mean that you should be able to usurp the legal drinking age. That's like saying I could drink just because I'm a bartender (It is legal in some states to be a bartender at age 18). Though I am clearly underage should I be able to drink alcohol simply because I handle it? What about restaurants? Because I'm a waitress and my establishment serves alcohol should I be able to partake in it? I don't think so, a rule is a rule, no drinking until you are 21.

• Can we trust drunks with guns.

The fact that there are millions of drinking related accidents per year. Why would we want to allow the people who protect us be drunk? Its unsafe for are bases and the well being of our soldiers to be drunk with weapons, its absolutely absurd. Yes they deal with daily issues but that's no excuse.

• No way! The people in our military are the ones who are supposed to protect and serve our country.

Why would we allow anyone or want anyone representing our country to not abide by the law. The law is the law and it's intended for everyone and this would include our military branches of service.
    It's fine for people who are under age to drink at home, where they are safe. Your talking about people who have weapons, use weapons, are around them at all times in the military. If your under age alcohol and weapons don't mix in any profession, this would include the military also.

• Being in the military does not mean you are above the law.

We have this law as a reason, being in the military does not put you above it whether or not you agree with the law itself. Plus the military cannot be held responsible for possible alcohol abuse in the future especially if someone underage is introduced to drinking comfortably .

• America cause fuck man

America
    America

America, fuck yeah!
    Coming again to save the mother fucking day, yeah
    America, fuck yeah!
    Freedom is the only way, yeah

Terrorist your game is through 'cause now you have to answer too
    America, fuck yeah!
    So lick my butt and suck on my balls
    America, fuck yeah!
    What you gonna to do when we come for you now

It's the dream that we all share
    It's the hope for tomorrow
    Fuck yeah!

McDonalds, fuck yeah!
    Wal-Mart, fuck yeah!
    The Gap, fuck yeah!
    Baseball, fuck yeah!

NFL, fuck yeah!
    Rock and roll, fuck yeah!
    The Internet, fuck yeah!
    Slavery, fuck yeah!

Fuck yeah!

Starbucks, fuck yeah!
    Image: http://static.urx.io/units/web/urx-unit-loader.gif

Disney world, fuck yeah!
    Porno, fuck yeah!
    Valium, fuck yeah!

Reebok's, fuck yeah!
    Fake tits, fuck yeah!
    Sushi, fuck yeah!
    Taco Bell, fuck yeah!

Rodeos, fuck yeah!
    Bed bath and beyond
    Fuck yeah, fuck yeah

Liberty, fuck yeah!
    White Slips, fuck yeah!
    The Alamo, fuck yeah!
    Band-aids, fuck yeah!

Las Vegas, fuck yeah!
    Christmas, fuck yeah!
    Immigrants, fuck yeah!
    Popeye, fuck yeah!

Demarcates, fuck yeah!
    Republicans
    Fuck yeah, fuck yeah
    Sportsmanship
    Books

• America cause fuck man

America
    America

America, fuck yeah!
    America, fuck yeah!
    Freedom is the only way, yeah

America, fuck yeah!
    So lick my butt and suck on my balls
    America, fuck yeah!

It's the dream that we all share
    It's the hope for tomorrow
    Fuck yeah!

McDonalds, fuck yeah!
    Wal-Mart, fuck yeah!
    The Gap, fuck yeah!
    Baseball, fuck yeah!

NFL, fuck yeah!
    Rock and roll, fuck yeah!
    The Internet, fuck yeah!
    Slavery, fuck yeah!

Fuck yeah!

Starbucks, fuck yeah!

Disney world, fuck yeah!
    Porno, fuck yeah!
    Valium, fuck yeah!

Reebok's, fuck yeah!
    Fake tits, fuck yeah!
    Sushi, fuck yeah!
    Taco Bell, fuck yeah!

Rodeos, fuck yeah!
    Bed bath and beyond
    Fuck yeah, fuck yeah

Liberty, fuck yeah!
    White Slips, fuck yeah!
    The Alamo, fuck yeah!
    Band-aids, fuck yeah!

Las Vegas, fuck yeah!
    Christmas, fuck yeah!
    Immigrants, fuck yeah!
    Popeye, fuck yeah!

Demarcates, fuck yeah!
    Republicans
    Fuck yeah, fuck yeah
    Sportsmanship
    Books

• America cause fuck man

America
    America

America, fuck yeah!
    America, fuck yeah!
    Freedom is the only way, yeah

America, fuck yeah!
    So lick my butt and suck on my balls
    America, fuck yeah!

It's the dream that we all share
    It's the hope for tomorrow
    Fuck yeah!

McDonalds, fuck yeah!
    Wal-Mart, fuck yeah!
    The Gap, fuck yeah!
    Baseball, fuck yeah!

NFL, fuck yeah!
    Rock and roll, fuck yeah!
    The Internet, fuck yeah!
    Slavery, fuck yeah!

Fuck yeah!

Starbucks, fuck yeah!

Disney world, fuck yeah!
    Porno, fuck yeah!
    Valium, fuck yeah!

Reebok's, fuck yeah!
    Fake tits, fuck yeah!
    Sushi, fuck yeah!
    Taco Bell, fuck yeah!

Rodeos, fuck yeah!
    Bed bath and beyond
    Fuck yeah, fuck yeah

Liberty, fuck yeah!
    White Slips, fuck yeah!
    The Alamo, fuck yeah!
    Band-aids, fuck yeah!

Las Vegas, fuck yeah!
    Christmas, fuck yeah!
    Immigrants, fuck yeah!
    Popeye, fuck yeah!

Demarcates, fuck yeah!
    Republicans
    Fuck yeah, fuck yeah
    Sportsmanship
    Books