Should people post their opinion on a debate if they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about?

Asked by: under_score
  • Yes because America

Is the land of the free. This country was built on the values of trust, virtue, freedom and liberty. Therefore, people should post their opinion on a debate even if they have no idea what they are talking about because that's the way the founding fathers wanted it. Also, America is a democracy, and if we can't have opinions, we are one step closer to being Russia. And besides Putin being awesome, no one wants that.

• A Debate Should Be Based On Facts!

Opinions are for the "Opinion" or "Forum" section. We all have an opinion. Most of us base our opinions on fact, but some allow their emotions to guide them. Still, we all have a right to our opinion. A debate should always be based & judged (on DDO that's voting) on presented facts in the argument. To allow a personal opinion, or friendship, to motivate your vote is wrong.

• Adhere to tabula rasa.

Anyone scoring a debate should really be coming in with as much a blank slate as possible, acknowledging where their biases may lie but knowing that what they consider to be a poor argument left unrefuted may very well be a winning argument, if the opponent's case is even poorer.

• Yes, but it depends

They "should" have the freedom to post their opinion, but whether or not posting their opinion "should" happen is a different contention.

They should have the right to post their opinion.

They should not post their opinion if they are ignorant and have nothing to offer the debate except their own stupidity.

• It's not my job to regulate peoples opinions,

While I agree people should not talk without knowledge, it's not as though it hurts me, and it's extremely easy to counter. Honestly ignorant people are a reality of this world, but I would rather those people at least try to participate in debates than believe what they do without challenging themselves.

• Check your facts.

I see many arguments on this website in the debate section where people sound like total idiots. Its more annoying than it is anything else and people post their opinions not backed with any sort of fact or relevant information. They will even post false facts and "obvious" conclusions. Please shut up, stupid people.

• Idk and idk

Idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, dk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, idk, and idk

• No, They Shouldn't

While the 1st amendment protects every American's right to uncensored free speech, common sense would dictate that you don't talk about things which you have no business talking about. If you choose to speak ignorantly, and exercise that right to free speech, nobody has any right to censor you. HOWEVER, if you choose to speak and in the process display a deal of ignorance, then those around you have every right to be as brutal as possible in shutting down your argument. If for example, you have the right to make some nonsensical comment about the military, then I have the same right to call you out on every single stupid comment you make, without hesitation or mercy.

• No, and I'll give some examples

"The Nazis believed in Nordic supremacy"
    "One plus one equals eleven"
    "'Seinfeld' is PG rated"
    and a list of other dumb statements that people spout out. What is this world coming to, seriously. We've become a society of really dumb people, I swear. It's utterly hilarious. So yes I agree.

• No. Obviously Not.

If you have no IDEA what you are talking about, you should stop talking because all you could possibly do is annoy people to death. If you are going to argue, use a utilitarian approach and don't be a snotty I-have-freedom-of-speech kind of person when you don't know what you're talking about.

• A Debate Should Be Based On Facts!

• At least read what the other side said.

You might be convinced of what they said, and if not, you must at least have some solid counterarguments or quite a few big arguments to make up for it. I know it's hard to read everything before you post yourself, but you should at least give it a quick look: just like challenging ga man in a debate, he who starts it will most certainly be more into the subject than you.

If it truly was so that they asked for opinions, than there should be no comment section like this and it would only count as a quick "referendum" to see what the public thinks. A debate should follow, and only with a debate there can be a good way of arguing. Although I believe that even there, people vote without even reading the arguments. Ofcourse, there are also people that are predetermined and that will fail to see the strength of an argument.

Their opinion is unchangeable and therefore they should not be allowed to post in the "opinion" section. The only think they should do is comment on other's posts and drop a quick vote.