Should people say 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas?'

• Yes, not everyone celebrates it!

Because there are many faith not celebrate xmas and you should not upset them and not offend people of other religions. Merry christmas is too much and not sensitive enough to other religions and people of other faiths. Especially muslims. Be careful and don't upset other people by saying merry xmas. Happy holidays is better :)

• There is more than just Christianity

Listen, if there was ONLY Christianity allowed in this country, then would be fine to say "Merry Christmas" to everyone. But the fact of the matter is that there are many other faiths in America, as well as some atheists and agnostics.

If you are Christian, go ahead and say "Merry Christmas" to every Tom, Dick and Jane you meet. Just don't claim you're being "persecuted" when the person responds with a different religious greeting instead!

• It is a matter of choice

People take the word Christmas to a whole new level that never existed. Jesus was not born on December 25th but more likely was born in September 26. Also it is the day Christians killed Jews.
    Christmas has always been a holiday celebrated carelessly. For millennia, pagans, Christians, and even Jews have been swept away in the season’s festivities, and very few people ever pause to consider the celebration’s intrinsic meaning, history, or origins.

· Christmas celebrates the birth of the Christian god who came to rescue mankind from the “curse of the Torah.” It is a 24-hour declaration that Judaism is no longer valid.

· Christmas is a lie. There is no Christian church with a tradition that Jesus was really born on December 25th.

· December 25 is a day on which Jews have been shamed, tortured, and murdered.

· Many of the most popular Christmas customs – including Christmas trees, mistletoe, Christmas presents, and Santa Claus – are modern incarnations of the most depraved pagan rituals ever practiced on earth.

• We're not all Christians

In the United States, there are:
    -More than 6.5 million Jewish Americans
    -Nearly 192 million unaffiliated
    -Nearly 2 million Muslims
    -Some 1.3 million Hindus
    -More than 2 million Buddhists
    Not everyone celebrates Christmas. It doesn't matter if it's the majority. To be respectful of everyone would be to say Happy Holidays.

• We come in all kinds.

The world is full of many different religions, and they all deserve equal recognition. Besides, christmas was stolen from the pagans by the christians anyway. Calling it christmas is exclusive, and unfair to the other beliefs out there. Happy holidays is universal and respectful to everybody. I dont understand why no one else gets it

• Its all-inclusive and doesn't make assumptions about other people.

Saying "Happy Holidays" incorporates numerous holidays - not just Christmas itself, but also New Years, and Hannukah (when it happens to fall around the same time of year, although this year its closer to Thanksgiving). I find it strange that so many people seem to get offended that you don't acknowledge Christmas by name.
    As someone who has a large number of non-christian friends and acquaintances, I appreciate the fact that no everyone celebrates the same holidays, so I prefer to say "Happy Holidays" rather than assuming that everyone celebrates the same holiday that I do.
    Christmas is already everywhere anyway - christmas music playing in stores, christmas specials on television, christmas lights and trees everywhere, do you honestly think the holiday is diminished by a few people referring to it as a "holiday" rather than by name?
    I have a Jewish friend who was yelled at in a store because he said "Happy Holidays" - the customer angrily replied "You mean MERRY CHRISTMAS". Are we now going to force someone who is not a Christian to say "Merry Christmas" simply so Christian people don't get offended or angry? If a Christian person was working in a retail establishment that forced him to say "Happy Hannukah" to customers, I honestly expect that there would be some kind of revolt from the "war on Christmas" crowd, or some Christians would boycott the store. I don't see why saying "Happy Holidays", which is all-inclusive, is really any less acceptable to Christians - and for the record, I'm a Christian myself. Happy Holidays can be said by any person, regardless of religion, and said TO any person, regardless of religion, and will cover whatever holidays either person wishes.
    As a final note, I will say this - the remarks from some of the people in the "No" column are somewhat misguided. Several of them have invoked the idea of "freedom of speech" and "freedom of religion". Those principles (enshrined in the 1st Amendment) only apply to limiting what the government can do. A private citizen asking someone to say "Happy Holidays" does not offend the 1st Amendment. It only violates the 1st Amendment if the government itself tells people what they can or cannot say. If the government is not getting involved then there is no "free speech" issue.
    Additionally, one person in the "no" column said that the government should "take back Christmas" and deny the holiday to anyone who is non-Christian and therefore force those people to work on Christmas. For the government to treat people differently (and to treat some in a negative manner by forcing them to do things that others don't have to) based solely on their religion actually DOES violate the freedom of religion (notice that the government is the one doing the regulating in that scenario) and therefore that suggestion would be unconstitutional.

• Christmas is a Christian holiday. Not all Americans are Christian.

Saying Merry Christmas assumes you know the religious affiliations of those you are wishing the blessing. Granted it is nice to spread love and cheer, but it is also ignorant to assume you know the spiritual beliefs of the people in your community. Merry Christmas is exclusionary and Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays are all encompassing.

• Christmas is only 1 day

If you would like to say Merry Christmas to everyone you meet, that's fine, no one is offended by your Christmas cheer. However, if you want everyone to wish you a Merry Christmas don't take up a whole month, reserve it for December 25th - You know ACTUAL Christmas. The reason that Non-Christians get offended is because Christians try to say that everyone should say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays or they are being persecuted. If that is true Christians are being persecuted every time they cannot force their religious beliefs on others and the minority should all apologize. Other Holidays happen at the same time as Christmas and not everyone has to celebrate your day, deal with it.

• It includes everyone in the festivities.

I feel like some people say well it's Christmas time why would I say Happy Holidays? They are pretty much stating to me that they are unaware that other holidays occur at this time of year, not just Christmas. People get so angry that people are attacking Christians, which no one is. I mean for two months everyone who is not Christian must deal with your holiday everywhere! At least acknowledging to people you respect and are aware of other religions is something you could do. I love Christmas time but I don't need to help rub it into people's faces.

• It's a trivial matter, but "Happy Holidays" is more respectful

"Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" imply the EXACT same sentiment. It's a trivial matter, and there are more important things to be concerned about. If you're addressing someone whose religious beliefs you're uncertain of, saying "Happy Holidays" is only polite and respectful. Christianity is NOT the only religion that counts! Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, Wiccan, Pagan, Atheist, Agnostic people all matter JUST as much as Christians, so why not be inclusive of their beliefs and respective holidays that occur during the same season? Saying "Happy Holidays" does NOT take anything away from those who celebrate Christmas, it's just being more accepting and respectful of others. Have you ever said "Merry Christmas" to someone and had them retaliate? I certainly haven't, although I have heard people get rather hostile when being wish a "Happy Holiday" instead. Is that really what the season is supposed to be about? Shouldn't it be about love and acceptance, i.E., the things that the inclusive "Happy Holidays" implies?
    Furthermore, the Christmas traditions that are so cherished and everyone gets so passionate about (e.G., "In my house, I'll have a CHRISTMAS tree") are, in fact, not at all origins of the Christmas holiday. Christmas trees originate from Germanic PAGANISM, and were used to honour the god Odin during that time. Christmas itself originates from the PAGAN celebration of the winter solstice and the rebirth of the sun (which occurred on December 25th). Decemeber 25th is the birthday of pre-Christian deities like Mirtha and Horus, and the birthday of Jesus is NEVER mentioned in the Bible. The nativity story implies that he was actually born in the spring. The Pagan Yule traditions were adopted by Christianity as way of converting Pagan followers to they're religion. In short: Jesus is NOT the reason for the season in the first place.

• Immigrants and Liberals are destroying America.

It's strange how this never seemed like an issue ten years ago. I think it's ridiculous that immigrants and liberal idiots feel the need to take away our freedom of speech and way of life. Some may say that it's not fair for Christmas to be such a big part of America when some people aren't Christians, yet somehow making 'Merry Christmas' politically incorrect and 'Happy Holidays' correct is fair to those who are Christians. America was founded by Christians, but for some reason we have to change our way of life because immigrants don't feel included. If that's the case, the Jews can pay for Hanukkah commercials and ads, those who celebrate Kwanzaa can pay for their ads, etc. Fuck anyone who says otherwise. And I love how the Christmas Tree lighting is seen as a controversial event. From the words of the wise Mayor Hokanson of New Jersey, "It's not a holiday tree, it's not a pear tree, it's a Christmas tree". Suddenly the ideals of illegals and the minority of people's are more important than the cherished ways of life when this nation first started. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a disgrace to America and should either be "put down" or forced to leave the fucking country. How's about all people who don't think America is fair in this sense go to the U.K. or Germany or Russia and try to change things there. I'm not saying people who don't celebrate Christmas are bad people and should be punished, and I'm not saying everyone has to say Merry Christmas if they don't celebrate it. What I am saying is that those who feel the need to try and take away the God-given right to say 'Merry Christmas' and have Christmas oriented events changed in order to appeal to all people in America should just shut the fuck up and let us have the day we've been celebrating since 1870.

• December 25 is the birth of Jesus Christ. Therefore, the whole month is Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays hacked the vocabulary, "Merry Christmas." Happy Holidays is a relativist word. It deflects us to focus on different spirit than Christmas Spirit. Everyone should know that December is for Merry Christmas. It is the tradition of USA. Christian spirit helped to form new country, USA. Please respect Christian spirit. Thank you.

• The whole idea itself is preposterous

Since when has saying a very simple "Merry Christmas!" become such a crime? If someone came up to me and said "Happy Kwanzaa!" I'd be like "Happy Kwanzaa to you as well!" I myself do not celebrate Kwanzaa but also do not find the expression offensive in any way, shape or form. If you don't celebrate Christmas then cool, do you, but don't take away my RIGHT to wish you a very Merry Christmas this holiday season.

• Because its Christmas

There is a holiday because of Christmas. Not Christmas because of a holiday.
    I am a Christian, I do not get offended by Jewish, or Muslim holidays. So I don't get why I have to hide my beliefs so as not to offend, if I ask someone not to be the way they are around me, they would cry discrimination.
    So how is it fair.
    So all I have left to say is Merry Christmas all.

• It's offensive

The holiday only exists to celebrate Christmas, so just acknowledge what the the holiday is for. Saying Happy Holidays is simply taking advantage of the timidity of Christians and insulting them because people know they won't fight back. As I said earlier it's just simply offensive. Christians really should start fighting against this nonsense, one way would be to lobby the Government to allow the holiday only for Christians, everyone else has to work.

• You're still basically saying Merry Christmas

I am more annoyed by people who say "Happy Holidays!!" to me, not only because Chanukah has often ended by that time, but also because the important Jewish holidays are in September!! That's right folks, September. Chanukah is sensationalized BY Christmas. It is not the most important Jewish holiday DESPITE the fact that it most resembles the biggest Christian holiday (although only in the gift giving aspect which isn't even an original tradition at Chanukah time)... I know, big shocker.

• Who is threatened by Christmas?

We're not all Christians In the United States, out of population of 300 million there are:
    -More than 6.5 million Jewish Americans
    -Nearly 2 million Muslims
    -Some 1.3 million Hindus
    Christmas celebrates the birth of the Christian god who came to rescue mankind from the “curse of the Torah.” It is a 24-hour declaration that Judaism is no longer valid.

• All in the sake of, "We dont want to offend anyone!"

And evertime Christians say that people need to say merry CHRISTmas, athiests say that we are trying to push our beliefs on them! What a horrible excuse! Forcing belief on someone is believe or die. Not saying a simple expression. Awww its so hard for people to say merry Christmas! How sad.
    CHRISTmas is celebrated by CHRISTians. So why do athiests even participate in it?! Thats like athiests making a..I dont know..A Darwins day. Christians certaintly wouldnt participate in that! So why would athiests celebrate JESUS CHRISTS BIRTH?! Dec25th may not be the exact date of his birth but its a designated holiday FOR JESUS CHRIST!
    Next time someone says happy holidays to me, i will replymto them politely, "Well, i dont know what holiday yoir talking about, but Merry Christmas!"
    So, in that case, Merry Christmas and have a good one! :)

• Whatever Happened To Freedom of Speech?

People should not have to censor themselves with Happy Holidays. Stores play traditional Christmas carols yet all the employees are forced to say Happy Holidays? No one in this country should be that easily offended. If someone says Merry Christmas to a person that doesn't celebrate they can kindly correct them or simply reply with Happy Holidays. It's not meant to be offensive, people shouldnt take it that way.

• It depends on their belief.

If the person in question celebrates Kwanzaa, then they would say "Happy Kwanzaa" If the person celebrates Hanukkah, then they would say, "Happy Hanukkah" If the person celebrates Christmas, then they would say, "Merry Christmas" If they wish to say "Happy Holidays" then they will. These statements are not offensive, nor should they be treated as offensive. Also, true multiculturalism would be to accept that other people celebrate different things and not to be offended by what is not intended to be offensive.

loribe says2013-12-04T22:03:17.587
...Hmmm - why is it one or the other ...Say what works for you - BTW people - Christmas had nothing to do with Christ until the RCC brought it in to attract pagans ...Google it. I tend to use Happy Holidays more ...Why would anyone be offended by Happy Holidays? Why would anyone be offended by Merry Christmas? Just let it roll off your back ...It's all good - it's all well-wishing another person so WHY should anyone be offended? I don't get it ...
lilika7 says2014-10-20T07:32:04.690
Why is this suddenly an issue? Why can't we just accept both 'Merry Christmas' and 'Happy Holidays' peacefully without making such a big deal out of it? Oh that's right. Because morons would rather impose what they want on others instead of just accepting the fact that people believe in different things. Both greetings should be acceptable, not war-mongers.
dlane12345 says2014-12-18T23:23:46.957
Let's see someone tell the muslims that Ramadan should not be celebrated since it doesn't include non muslims. Tell them to say "happy holidays" instead. I'd like to be there for the show when you do...
grassrox says2014-12-22T20:28:47.183
By the argument that Christmas is offensive because not everyone is a Christian is akin to saying 'Happy Birthday' to someone is offensive because it is not everyone else s birthday. My birthday is on July 13th, the New York City draft riots occurred on that day and thousands of Ethiopians were killed that day by the armies of Somalia. So is it now offensive for someone to wish me a Happy Birthday because suffering and violence occurred on that day?

Also (at least here in the United States of America) we are FREE to worship and speak as we please. I am thankful that you are able to disagree with my beliefs, and am not offended by it. I think a lot of people are loosing sight of what liberty means, and by desiring to limit what one person can say or do they are in fact trying to impose limits on all of our liberties.