Should people under 18 people allowed to get a tattoo?

• I'm 16 and I have one.

I'm a very creative person and I've always loved body art. Just 2 days ago I got my first one on my hip with the word family and a small bow under it. It looks amazing and I paid for it myself. I only agree with this if the tattoo has a lot of meaning and isn't something you would be ashamed to show your mum or dad.

• Why not?

It's their choice. If they think they're ready to get a tattoo, then let them. There's really no stopping it. It's up there with drinking and smoking and having sex. They'll do it no matter what you do, because if they really want one they'll get one. I got my first tattoo a month after I turned 16 and I'm not even 17 yet and I have 5 of them. I don't regret it because I knew all of the facts before getting it and I was ready. Let people make their own mistakes and if they truly hate the tattoo THAT much, there are removal options.

• Express yourself! Sixteen

I believe if a 16 year old can make decisions about having sex, getting pregnant, moving out and buying a scratch card then they can make decisions about tattoos. Sure some individuals are stupid enough to get pointless tattoos because their mate thought it would be funny however not everyone will and some people can be stupid at 18 or 40.. As long as they dont get a name tattoo'd on them unless it is family related or a date of a relationship then I dont see the issue? As long as they do their research, get to know the procedure and go to a reputable studio then they'll be fine. I am 17 and I got a tattoo at 16.. It has meaning and I love it! I will definitely be getting more.. Tattoos are a way of expressing yourself and I feel if people are mature enough to make decisions about sex and pregnancy/moving out and getting piercings etc then tattoos are just an exception. Sure if they want it that badly then they should be able to wait but I have thought about my tattoo since I was 11 years old and when I was 16 it was still something that help a lot of meaning and so I got it. As long as its meaningful, done somewhere well-known and something they want then let them? Why not? I love tattoos, its a way of showing who you are as a person and people with piercings, tattoos, colourful hair should be allowed to express themselves even in the workplace or in schools because thats who they are and just because someone has tattoos it does not make them a bad person or a drug addict. Tattoos have absolutely not link to drugs, drinking or smoking. And teenagers with tattoos are NOT more likely to get into trouble.. I have a tattoo and I work in a care home and Ive never done anything to get myself into trouble any more than any normal teenager!! Tattoo is body art and they are beautiful, some people hate them others love them, it depends on you as a person and nobody should be prejudice of tattoo'd individuals.

• Express yourself- tattoos

• Who even cares.

If I want a tattoo or something permanently on my body, I should be allowed to do it. It's my body and it doesn't effect anyone else if I have a tattoo. If I'm old enough to drive and be behind the wheel of a highly powerful car I should be able to get a flower on my sholder or anything else.

• Yes people that are under age should be allowed to get tattoos

Everybody is in charge of their own bodies and nobody should be able to stop anyone from expressing themselves. Tattoos can be an escape for certain people. They can hold a special meaning or symbol towards them. Underage people can even emancipate; which means being able to maintain themselves why not be able to get a damn tattoo?!

• Teenagers at least of the age of 16 should be allowed tattoos

If you are 16 then you are allowed to get emancipated. Why is it so different that if you are 16 you need to have parental consent for a tattoo or even a body piercing. Besides it isn't fair that other states allow you to receive tattoos and body piercings that you don't need any parental consent stated. Why does Pennsylvania and other states like ours have to be so different.

• If you can enlist in the military why not?

I'm enlisted into the military and I'm 17, I feel like if I can serve my conutry at this age I should be given the choice of getting a tattoo. I feel that joinning made me a more intelligent, and responsible young adult, so why can't I be treated like the adult I am becoming?

• Teenagers under 18 should be allowed to get a tattoo.

They should have the right to get one, but they should think about it. Some teenagers that get tattoos don't instill in their brains that a tattoo will be on your body for the rest of your life. And sometimes they will get stupid tattoos. If you have a teenager that wants to get a tattoo, make sure they don't get one that they will regret to the rest of their lives. Also tell the teenager that you get to decide where they get this tattoo. However, completely eliminating the thought is completely ridiculous.

• People under the age of 18 years should not be permitted to get a tattoo.

Many people often forget that when you get a tattoo, you can NOT donate blood to patients suffering blood loss of some sort. Tattoos also harm your body and people often regret getting a tattoo at such a young age with such little meaning to themselves. If children under the age of 18 years want a tattoo, I don't see why they can't wait until they are older if they want the tattoo so much. It will stay with you for the rest of your life, constantly reminding you of your stupidity, brashness and impulsive decisions. SAY NO TO TATTOOS!

• Way too young!

You don't know what you want that young and knowing how it can impact your life. You need to make sure that you know what the consequences are could/going to be in the future, including getting a job. Not a lot of jobs will take people that have them. At 18, you know what can happen if you get one, like not getting a job for example. Also, you need to make sure that you don't regret your decision on getting one. They hurt a lot more to be removed, and they don't always get completely removed. You can be yourself and make the decision, but make sure that you at least 18 because you do and should know what it could impact on your life later. You are also growing and by the time that you are finished, it could be stretched out and there is nothing that can be done about it. At that young of an age, you preferences change and something that you like 16 can change when you hit 18. I have been thinking about getting one for 2 years and what I wanted before has changed into something else than what I originally wanted to get in the first place.

• No one should ever get Tattoos!

• They are still minor, not adult (18) yet.
    • At a young age, having less experience, people do certain things that they regret later.
    • A tattoo is, and before creating anything permanent on the body one should consult a matured individual, preferably an adult in their household.
    • Tattoos can cause skin cancer or other skin diseases.
    • Looks very unprofessional and in many places they can lose employment offers.

• No, children under 18 years old should not be allowed to get a tattoo

No, children under 18 years old should not be allowed to get a tattoo for two reasons. First, anyone under 18 years old typically cannot enter into a legally binding contract because of their age. Another reason why they shouldn’t be allowed to get a tattoo is because of parental consent. They are still minors and not allowed to do certain things without their parents’ approval.

• No, individuals under 18 should not be permitted to get tattoos

No, individuals under 18 should not be permitted to get tattoos. That Sponge Bob Square Pants or Buttercup (from the Power Puff Girls) sure seems like a cool idea when youre 15, but 10 years later... not so much. If your over 18 and choose to get a bad tattoo you are of age and can legitimately shoulder that choice all on your own.

• People under the age of 18 are to immature

In my opinion of this argument citizens under the age of 18 should not be allowed to receive a tattoo as in my opinion and through my experience i have decided they are too immature, i have met a number of teenagers who want to get a tattoo and even a few parents who want tattoos on their underage children but the majority of the tattoos they want are immature silly and they will likely seriously regret them when they are older if they were to get them. I understand not all teenagers are immature and not all teenagers wanting a tattoo are immature but through my experience and what seems to be a majority of them are immature and shouldn't be allowed to get a tattoo until they are older and their brains are more evelved and they have matured more

• There are exceptions!

My grandma was my best friend and just recently passed the only way I could cope was to get a tattoo to remind me she is always with me even when I don't have something of hers. I am 16 and I know I will not regret my decision. I paid for my tattoo and it was done sanitary. Its very beautiful and I love it.

• Way too young!

If you have to nag your parent(s)/guardian(s) for permission/consent and have them to fill out paperwork for a tattoo, then you are still too young to get one. Wait until you are in your 20's or older, that way if they complain about your tattoo you can say you are an adult and can make your own decisions.

• No way now how

Kids think its cool to get a tattoo. Some think its cool to do drugs. Pot leads to heavier drugs. Tattoos, drugs, drinking, and smoking all go hand in hand. Children with tattoos will be more likely to do drugs and get in trouble. Mine came home with a tattoo, i accidently found out months later. She already regrets it. She wishes she chose differently. Now shes buying one pieces instead of her favorite the bikini. Her friends are all in shock. Her mother who is federal prison convinced her to do this. I am more angry at my daughter than my granddaughter. I am going to take her to have it removed

• If they think they are "Mature" then they can wait

Most 18 years olds aren't even mature enough either. If you're 14,15,17 you may think you're mature, but those thoughts you have will definitely change in a few years. I waited until I became an adult to get the tattoo I've been wanting. I'm not getting it until my birthday next month. I got a piercing at 16, with my parents permission. If you really want something you learn to wait. Rushing things can affect you in the future. Tattoos are permanent. Think of the tattoo you wanted to get 4 or 5 years ago! Would you still want it today? Probably not.