Should people wait until after high school to get into relationships?

Asked by: ssovoxolove
  • The choices a teen makes could affect them for the rest of their life.

Birth rates for girls aged 15-19 years is 24.2 live births per 1,000 women. And it's generally the young mother (and her parents) that raise the child and take the financial expenses therein.
    And if a teen couple get married, Statistically, the divorce rate is higher for those under 25 years of age. Kids should be taught that picking a mate is a lot like going to the grocery store - there's a lot of things to choose from versus choosing something from one shelf in the store.

• Leads to nowhere, the odds of you finding the one are near to impossible.

Admit it, the majority of high school relationships end rapidly and most of them don't go to marriages. Those that do, are usually bums or from a girl getting pregnant. I understand that you may find "the one", but that is most likely not going to happen. Only 2% of couples are successful (I know that is subjunctive-but I mean makes a lot of money and is happy). So basically, 1 out of every 100 girls/guys could be "the one". So unless if you go to a large high school, don't get into one and just stick with networking your mates in high school. Also, if the person isn't successful (committed with classes {decent grades}, rigor {APs} and the whatnot) in high school, they obviously won't handle it. If an unsuccessful person does, it will fail and usually it is just for sex and drugs (I am dead serious, it's freaking sad). If a combination of two successful people exists, they know what to do. Please please please consider a date (take them to a beautiful setting w/ a restaurant before and TALK!) before announcing whether you are going out or not. Good luck to all relationships.

• You put everyone aside and ruin old friendships

I had a relationship in high school and all it involved was tears, fighting, and drama. My grades suffered because I couldn't focus with him on my mind. Yes, he treated me like a princess, but relationships are meant for more mature people to handle. Why get in a relationship when you don't even have your own house yet and maybe even share a car? Parents get in the way of a lot of your personal business. Besides when you go off to college, a lot of the time you end your high school crush because he cheated on you or you cheated on him. Too many other fish in the sea in college and that is where you will find your dream husband/wife.

• It gets into the way of everything

I probably don't know much about this topic, but I have a lot of friends who got into this "relationship" stuff and their grades dropped, they had less time, etc. So yeah, I plan to wait. If people want to, let them, but they'll probably regret it. There was a survey and many adults regretted it.

• No, everybody should go at their own pace

You should do whatever feels right for you. If you want to have a relationship in high school, that is fine, an if you want to wait that is also fine. Teen dating is practice like the other people said, and some relationships do last. Although it is rare, it does happen.

• Practice makes perfect.

Everyone should have the opportunity to learn what it's like to be in a relationship; which means balancing other parts of life as well. School should be practice for life, not "preparation for" or "protection from" it. Life includes maintaining healthy relationships with a significant other, through any circumstance (school, work, family, friends, etc). People shouldn't jump into relationships with the soul purpose of learning how to be in one; they should have a genuine affection for the person. But I don't think anyone should say no to a relationship just because they're in high school.

Posted by: MC1R
  • No, not necessarily.

I do agree that after high school, relationships become much more serious and are fantastic; however, what if one finds that special someone while in high school? Usually, relationships in school do not last very long, but you would still gain some experience for the future. Its all about having fun while you are still a teen. I am in a perfectly well off relationship and I am only a junior in high school. We have been dating a little over a year and it has been such a wonderful experience - something that I would accept all over again in a heartbeat. Most people have the best time of their life while in high school, so why not enjoy it with a certain someone even if it only lasts a month? You took a chance. Plus, if the relationship is serious enough to continue on and into college, that is very rare and very unique. That means the couple care for one another a lot, and that all happened in high school. If one is mature enough, then yes, go into a relationship. It could change your life.