Should people with a criminal record be banned from standing for political office?

• Look at mandela and gandhi

People with a criminal record should not be barred from seeking political office. If this was the case that if you were charged with a criminal offence you would be barred from political office, some of the world’s renowned politicians would not have had the chance to make an impact in the world if a person is not given the opportunity to do or act there is no telling what could have been done. Politicians such as Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela. This goes without saying that everyone deserves a second chance, even law enforcement officers have been charged with a criminal offence and still are allowed to be employed, wear a uniform and hold a badge why shouldn’t it be the same for politics.

• I certainly think so.

People with criminal records are mostly evil, sinister, and unethical. If these immoral and iniquitous people stand for political office, I certainly believe that this will lead to pandemonium and chaos in the certain region. In addition, I believe that this will make the region unstable, and will cause lots of great external and internal strife. To make the citizens more secure, and safe, to increase the quality of life of them, I surely think that people with a criminal record should be banned from standing for political office

Posted by: psm
  • No i do not thank so

I thank they should because my best friend has diabetes and her doctor doesn't have diabetes. So when she goes her doctor thanks hers is curtain things she can't eat, but if her doctor did have diabetes then he would understand what she is going through. So what if a judge got arrested for drugs and someone else got arrested for drugs then the judge would understand what he is going through. So i thank that they should be able to a spot in office.

• People with a criminal record should be banned for a limited time

People with a criminal record should be banned for a limited time when standing in a political office. It depends on the crime committed and how much time has passed since the crime. In other words, a corrupt politician accused of money laundering and theft of any sort should be banned completely. Smaller crimes are ok after a certain time has passed.

• I dont know

I certainly think so. People with criminal records are mostly evil, sinister, and unethical. If these immoral and iniquitous people stand for political office, I believe that this will lead to pandemonium, and chaos in the certain region. Also, this will make the region unstable, and will make lots of internal and external strife. To improve the quality of life of citizens, and to make them more safe, I believe that people with a criminal record should be banned from standing for political office.

• No thet should not be banned infact they should be prasied

I one day hope to pursue a political career with felonies in my jacket but found a second chance to help. I am simple, outspoken, and truethfull which means i cant be bribed, i am like 70 million people , and would be serving my american duty with pride .

• It should be up to the voters

There crime will come out. Likely they were punished and served their time. If not that should come up. People have bad moments in their lives but a moment shouldn't close their future. There are many reasons someone might have a criminal record. It's like people on the sex offender list for be caught urinating in public. Even at night when they think no one is looking, not intending harm. The voters should hear the crime and make the judgement. Besides plenty of the politians that don't have records have committed crimes.

• Depends on the felony

If its a drug offence or the like, no. In fact I'd rather have someone in office who is opened minded and makes their own decisions. However if the felony is rape, assault etc then no, they shouldn't really but if they prove they are capable, then why not? Second chances and what not..

• Depends on the felony

• People with a criminal record shouldn't be banned from standing for political office.

One person has put, and I quote "People with criminal records are mostly evil, sinister, and unethical." but this is a massive generalisation. Not to say that some people with a criminal record are those things, but the huge majority are also normal people who made a mistake at some point in their lives. Many have been through and seen hardship and have been victims of circumstance. Maybe these are the people we need in office. People who haven't been raised with a silver spoon. People who have endured, made mistakes, and overcome and fought for a better life. Maybe these people do have an insight that many other lack. Maybe they do have an idea how to fix the problems that plaque the modern world. Both the USA and the UK have gang problems, crime problems, poverty problems. These aren't small problems, around 22% of people live under the poverty line in California alone. Maybe somebody who has come from these conditions and has turned their life around can speak to and influence others to do the same. Maybe they can be an inspiration rather than another silver spoon fed politician who had private school and never lacked a meal thanks to their daddies bank account.

• There will be harms to democracy.

There will be negative impacts on political discourse or discussion. We have needs for public participation in solving problems, and needs for open systems. This motion only justifies "dirty politics" because it just implies a top down approach without constructive discussion, and is very limited. Also, dirty politics only revolves around as gossip, assumptions, and there will be lack of transparency. This can cause attention to move further away from the ore issues. For example, in South Korea there was a debate over the NIS chief because he was put off of the rumors about the NLL discussion between president Rho and Kim Jung Il. This can only encourage the problem, and this will lead to the fact that government only supports the problem. This is why we believe that we should say in the status quo.

• NO I don't think so.

If a person with a criminal record comes out in the election, we are the one who are going to pick whether or not he is going to be elected. If we think that he is not suitable to do the job because he is untrustworthy, then, we don't have to elect him as anything. Everything is up to the voters, so I don't think we would some kind of a restriction.