Should people with personality disorders be allowed to have guns?

• the personality disorders

I personally agree,Not all people with severe mental illness are going to commit mass murder, and therefore should not be treated as if they are. I remember applying for a job via a job coach, and the first question the employer asked was about my risk of violence. Needless to say, I didn’t get the job despite being well qualified.
    In addition to this, people with a severe mental illness are statistically more likely to be the victims of crime rather than the perpetrators. In this case, owning a firearm for self defense could be beneficial.

• But neither should anyone else either

I can so no good reason for anyone to have a gun in their home. Guns kill people and countries like the US where guns are legal have about 100 times the gun murder rate than other countries where citizens are not allowed to have personal guns in their own homes.

• No, they are dangerous

Most of the recent mass shootings in the US have been performed by people with mental health issues. In fact, the Virginia Tech shooter had a documented history of mental illness, but was still allowed to buy guns. If we did more to prevent potentially dangerous people from owning guns, society would be better protected.

• Why would they?

I suppose it would matter what type of personality disorder that they have, but in almost all cases people with personality disorders do not need to have guns. We do not need people with multiple personalities disorders or that are bipolar with ready access to a firearm for any reason.

• Mental illness should be an exception to 2nd Amendment Rights.

While increased gun ownership by lawful citizens is a net positive for society, there is a great risk in failing to distinguish why it is important for law-abiding citizens to have guns: Namely, that they will use them in a rational manner for the most part. Those with personality disorders are not rational and thus the benefit of an armed citizenry is diminished should no distinction be made between mentally ill and sanity. (This also applies to the menatally ill owning any type of weapon or heavy machinery).

• No, the mentally ill should not be allowed to buy guns.

I do not think a person who suffers from any type of personality disorder or mental illness should be allowed to have a gun. I think every citizen should have the right to buy firearms. But there should be a prerequisite for it. I think it would be dangerous for people who are not emotionally stable to have a weapon like that.