• PE is irrelevant to learning

Physical education is not part of a school's job. Instead, it should be the parent's job. Schools are for learning, not for physical education. Physical education is pointless. Being physical is does not come from going to do minor exercises for one hour every day, instead, it comes from lifestyle changes.

• Physical education should be required.

Physical education should be mandatory, it is an essential part of growing and learning. Without physical education in school students would have trouble learning about other things such as math or science. Physical activity stimulates the minds of the young and keeps them on the ball when learning new things. Also being physically helpful, it helps children learn there physical limits, without having to run the mile in P.E. children would have to do it on there own, or choose not to. Choosing not to is only going to be detrimental to the future of the child. They will never live lives , and they will complain for the rest of their lives about "skinny" people and how they are "fake" when in reality they are more real than the person calling them fake. The "skinny" person most likely had to work for what they achieved, where as "fat" people worked by eating mass amounts of food, artificial products and junk that is bad for their bodies, giving these people shorter lives and less to experience with the time they have.

• Absolutely

Our youth of today has become not only more overweight and obese than in the past but they are more lazy than ever. Over one third of our nations youth is overweight. That creates a huge problem for them and the medical field. We will be spending more money on medicine because more of them with have issues that come along with it.

• Absolutely

• Yes I think physical education should be mandatory

Exercise is a huge key to our overall health and well being as people along with our diets, so I think as we grow up it should have a place in our daily routines surely starting as children. Kids need to know the importance of being active, of taking care of their bodies. By mandating physical education from a young age, that will be one way to achieve that. So yes I think physical education should be a mandatory part of a school curriculum.

• Yes, physical education is necessary to fight obesity

I believe that physical education should definitely be mandatory because of the massive problem the United States faces in regards to childhood obesity. Children in the U.S. are at their highest rates of obesity in the history of the country, and mandating physical education in schools is one measure we can take as a society to try to curb the problem.

• Yes, Physical Education Should Be Mandatory!

In physical education, students learn to keep their body healthy. The will get to exercise every day. And, it can build their lungs and their heart strength through running and being active. Adding academic classes won't benefit students because they will become more sedentary, obese, bored and stressed out. So, physical education is a necessity for their health.

• Mandatory with more choice

Learning to control your body and maintain it are key to a complete education. Students need to know strategies that can be used to for lifelong wellness. However, they should have more choices of what specific classes they want to take. Physical education can be a big push for encouraging students to come to school if they are taking things they are interested in. For example, you could have classes such as "team sports," "weight training," "swimming," "recreational games," etc. By allowing for more choice, it would help students end up in classes that they relate to and help them avoid situations where students could be bullied. We all remember our peers who were constantly ridiculed for being the weak link in the batting order or the main target in dodge-ball. That same student might excel in a rowing class or a tennis class surrounded by friends.

• Childhood Obesity Crisis

Childhood obesity is a growing epidemic that affects our children health and overall well-being. Making PE mandatory I believe will deceased the number of childhood obesity. Some children only go outside once a day if that with all this new aged technology robbing children of an active and healthy life. PE would probably be the only physical activity most children engage in all day, that is why it is so important to mandate it ,so children can at least get the recommended physical exercise they need on a daily basis to prevent childhood obesity.

• Absolutely I do!!!

With the obesity that is in the US.... Phys Ed should be mandated! Kids need to learn how to be physically active at a young age. Elementary kids get physical activity in "gym" class.....They are having fun while getting exercise and getting their heart rate up. Physical activity is proven to help kids with their academics, also.

• Bullying is prominent in this area.

I believe that Physical Education should not be mandatory in schools. Bullying can be most prominent during PE, especially in the locker rooms where privacy is not obtained. This secluded area is ideal for bullying, and many children are uncomfortable with being seen. Due to obesity rates in America, many children that have problems with their size and are being mistreated.

• Irrelevant

Let me first say that it is definitely true that many people in our nation (USA) are overweight or obese. Achieving a healthier body requires a lifestyle change, not going to PE class a couple times a week for an hour each day. PE is nowhere near enough to combat the rate of obesity and overweight people. Other than that, it is parents' jobs to make sure that their kids get exercise. Schools' jobs are for building peoples' minds and enriching their knowledge.

• Not Successful Enough

Physical education may be a good idea, but the class is not successful enough at encouraging healthier habits or preventing illness. Most students don't put enough effort in to really benefit from it. It would be better if schools encouraged students to participate in sports since there are still options for those not talented or not in shape. That way there will be more room for academic classes during school.

• Recommended, Not Mandatory

It is important thhat physical education be taught in schools, especially at a young age. However, on the scale of "important things to know", academic endeavors are more important for a school to provide as it is much more specialized to deliver that material. Schools should focus on things that parents can't, such as physics, biology, chemistry, history, algebra, calculus, and many other subjects that really just can't be "self taught". It is much easier to have a gym membership or shoot hoops at the park, or even just jog a few miles a day, rather than relying on schools to spend time and money into these types of resources.

• Physical Education should be at the option of parents.

Physical Education, like all education programs ,incurs costs, and not all school budgets, communities, and students are created equal. Furthermore, time spent on physical education is time taken away from other scholarly pursuits. Is there something in our Federal or State Constitutions that says, Physical Education shall be required in schooling? No there is not. And time and money spent takes away from math skills, reading skills, learning finance, accounting, civics, or any other number of endeavors that prepares students for life. Some parents have their children participate in physical activities outside of school. Some schools can barely afford to pay their teachers as it is, and physical education would take away from their ability to pay for basic courses. One size fits all solutions simply are not appropriate, and forcing parents, students, and taxpayers to engage in an activity that is not an absolute requirement is enforced tyranny at its finest.

• I believe not.

Although many American children are overweight or obese (I'm not from America), "physical education" 1 hour not even daily will not help this case. PE in schooling does not help teach students to live a healthier lifestyle and how to stay fit. Health classes, or something along those lines would actually teach students the way to live healthier. Also, students who aren't as physically talented than those who are are bullied, shunned, made like the only thing that matters is to be fit and to know how to throw a ball into a hoop. A lot of people achieve such high scores on their reports in other subjects such as English and maths, but their score is brought down just because they can't kick a ball straight or can't run a mile in 5 minutes. Why should this be the case? I also believe that physical education shouldn't effect a student's report, especially not negatively. If PE should be taught in schools, it should be an elective subject, a subject where you can choose to participate in PE. And finally, it's not completely up to the school to teach PE, and if this area needs to be improved in students, particularly to stay fit, this should be done in their own time, with parents, friends etc.

• Physed only has a few options

At Least in my experience physed only encourages a certain type of person I in fact enjoy many physical activities like hiking canoeing fishing ect . But in today's education system we are forced to a select few options that many do not like a diversified option in the physed department is needed . One should not live the day dreading gym class that is the opposite of a safe learning environment . Gym was intended as a way for students to relax as well as educate them on basic workout principles . Gym is the opposite of a retreat to about 51.7% of people at my school I understand this number would be lower is the USA but were i am from it isn't and the people who don't want gym are often to shy to express their opinions .

• Not at all

I don't believe so, because some people aren't comfortable changing in front of others. And causes way to much to fund. It's just not needed class. It should be option I feel, but not something the school requires. People make PE just way more important then it seems really. That's just me.

• Physical education is a waste of valuable time and money.

We all came to school for one thing, and that is to learn. Most kids I find in my school are lacking in knowledge, and this is an opportunity that could be used to get them to study more. Bullying also happens most at this time, all though I have never experienced this, others I know have. Also another reason is that many kids can also get injured during this subject. Many straight A students such as myself have gotten dents in their report cards because of Phys Ed. This is why I believe Phys Ed is a waste of time and should no longer be mandatory anywhere.

• PE makes no sense

Students can be injured while playing more rough-rang-tumble games like football, which harms their ability to write and work for a new understanding of the advanced math. Because of this, PE should never happen again since it is a false class and is not fair to people with a black skin color.

Anonymous says2013-05-16T18:05:14.300
Obesity rates lower drastically