Should physicians discuss spirituality with their patients?

• Yes, if they want to

I do not see a problem with physicians discussing spirituality with their patients if their patients want to hear it. The worst the patient could say is that they don't want to talk about it. It has been shown that spirituality generally helps people live more healthily, so I believe that it is relevant.

• No, but they should make resources available if the patient requests.

Physicians should not discuss, and are not equipped to discuss spirituality with their patients. A physician could be an atheist; how then could s/he discuss spirituality? They should, however, at a patient's request, perhaps have available a yellow page listing of churches or spiritual centers in case a patient is facing a life crisis and asks for such a thing.

• No, they shouldn't.

No, I do not think that physicians should discuss spirituality with their patients. However, if it is the patient that brings up spirituality, and the physician feels comfortable discussing it with them, then I see no problem with that. But the physician should not bring it up to their patient, because their patient might not be a very spiritual person.

• I completely disagree.

I don't think a physician should discuss spirituality with their patients. A physician is there to heal your body, not your soul. If you want spiritual healing, you should visit you priest or pastor. They do have that option in a hospital. There is a time and place for both. We should never confuse the two.