• Yes yes yes

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yesyes yes yes yes yes ye s yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

• Plastic shopping bags should not be banned, due to ease of convenience and cost.

I imagine it costs more to produce and use paper shopping bags, or even reusable cloth shopping bags compared to just producing many plastic shopping bags. The only issue is their biodegradability, they could be reused and retooled for other tasks, due to the fact they are plastic also. So in any case I would say the issue lies more with the disposal of them.

• A complete ban is unwarranted.

A complete ban on plastic bags would not be sensible. Businesses and consumers can decide best whether to use plastic or not. To encourage plastic bag recycling businesses and government should provide recycling drop-offs at the store or charge fees for bags. A total ban however would be going to far.

• Ever take your groceries home on a bus in the rain?

In the seventies we were saving trees by going plastic. Now we are saving the planet by going paper. I live in the Great Pacific Northwet (no typo). It rains here. I help save the earth by not owning a car. So I have to hope it's dry and the bags don't rip. Sure I can use reusable bags, I own a ton of them. I never remember to bring enough, I'm sure you've done it. "I'm just getting a couple of things."..."Oh look these are on sale". "I forgot I needed that."
    I used to use thin plastic grocery bags for quick trash liners. Now I have to pay for my plastic bags to fill with trash to throw away.

• Shouldn't be banned

Plastic bags were designed to satisfy a need. Thin plastic can do many things that paper, which is recommended as a good substitute for plastic, cannot. Indeed, there are ways in which thin plastic may be more useful than paper.

For example, plastic bags are widely appreciated for their use in wrapping food, and holding water and other wet goods. They are also useful as a protective lining for rubbish bins, as a protective wrap for delicate clothing material, or as a way of temporarily sealing roof and tap leaks.