Should pocket knives be allowed in school?

Asked by: TWD430
  • Yes they should be

Kids used to bring Pocket Knifes to show and tell maybe 20 years ago! And now if a student even talks about a weapon they're automatically expelled. A pocketknife is a handy tool and any student should be able to have one as long as they are right in the head and at least in 6th Grade.

• Knifes aren't inherently bad.

Pocket knives, especially the one shown in the picture, are tools. Not only are the knives a tool, but in the specific one shown, the knife can be accompanied by a variety of useful things like corkscrews, screwdrivers, and other tools to aid you in life. I've been carrying a Swiss Army Knife to classes as an attachment to my keys and the security officers haven't said anything about it, nor has anything negative come of it.

Just because it can hurt you doesn't make it a bad thing.

• Knives are useful tools, and multi-tools and similar things can provide the opportunity for resourceful minds to develop.

Being exposed to tools at all times can allow one's mind to develop thoughts of alternative uses for these tools. Having such a mind can open one up to solutions in all kinds of situations where the solution isn't obvious. This skill is especially useful to people going into fields where they are going to have to solve problems (engineering, business, arts, and life in general).

Knives aren't very dangerous. We may not absolutely require them, but why allow scissors then? They are not necessary and can by at least as dangerous as any knife.

There are plenty of arguments to make and plenty of ways to expand. I am saying these because some of the other arguments have already been made and I have not seen these ones yet.

• Whats the problem?

If the student is using the knife responsibly and does not try to intentionally cause violence towards of children/teachers there shouldn't be a problem as long as said tool is a reasonable length that does not excel around five inches. Yes it can be a threat but need i go back to the second amendment that states we have the right to carry weapons

• Kids are stupid.

Kids these days are stupid. With cartoon violence there is a lack of consequence and kids don't fully understand that. Most kids don't even fully understand death and none of them have mused over mortality (their own or that of others).
    While a penknife is an excellent tool in the right hands, in the wrong hands it's a murder weapon. While I imagine some parents trust their kids with the pen-knife, it's foolish to trust every child in their school.
    Hypothetically: If your child can be trusted with a pen-knife and you let them go to school with it. If another child steals it and uses it on their classmates then YOU supplied that child with a weapon and are responsible for wounding or even killing another child.
    In my mind it is just easier to keep those things at home and use them there as the amazing tool it can be. They have no need for it in school.

• There is no reason...

Nothing happens in school that would deem it absolutely necessary. Though some may argue that the pocketknives have useful tools, none of the tools are necessary at school? Does a child really need a bottle opener at school? Besides, kids should learn how to use words and not weapons. So whats the point of pocketknives?

• No. Absolutely not.

As a victim of fairly severe bullying myself, I can say truthfully that the addition of a pocket knife into the already violent atmosphere would surely end badly. I'm sure that if any of the aforementioned bullies had had a pocket knife at hand they would have used it against me.

• No! Are you crazy?

What use would you have for a pocket knife in school? Things would escalate super fast and the results would not be pretty. Children don't understand the consequences of their actions. Violence is everywhere in the media these days, and children think it is ok to hurt someone without realizing how serious things can be. Mindless shooting and killing is everywhere in video games, in reality everything is much different!

• Are you kidding ?

What a knife is going to do any good to student ?. It's only going to harm someone and beside a little quarrel will turn into some serious fight. It's a stage where student must learn to set there little quarrel with calmness and by friendship which will help in long run. Having knife with them, they are going to pull at once and the things may end up serious.

• This will only have a bad outcome.

I live in southern Kentucky, where many boys bring their knives and their smokeless tobacco to school. I have actually been cut by a boy with a pocket knife in school before and I have the scar to show for it. The boy got in no trouble, although I could have gotten a serious infection or possibly something more severe. Pocket knives at school do lead to bad situations, I have experienced this first hand. I understand that there are boys who carry a pocket knife like it is second nature, but school is not a place for this.

• Are you insane?

Why do they need a pocket knife at school? Someones gonna be sharpening their pencil with a huge blade and cut towards themselves. Someones gonna stab another person. Some kids these days are just insane. Well at least some people don't know how to open pocket knifes. Theres no use for pocket knifes at school anyway.

• Are you crazy!!! Are you crazy???

Nope nope nope you hear that sound it's the sound of me noping >.<
    All Phandam member put your hands in the air and scream LADDERS EP
    PAHN IS REAL
    PHANDOM WAS HERE 2k16
    DAN AND PHIL NOTICE US I LOVE YOU SENPI
    DONT MAKE ME USE MY WHISK
    ARGGGG THE FEELS

• What he heck are you going to use a knife for in school?

If you are going to be doing something that involves a blade then a teacher should supply the materials. I'm not just going to take my butterfly knife into school. Now a Swiss Army knife is a different story but not much. There is almost no reason to bring a knife to school unless you are going to be dissecting something but that's disgusting considering you are doing it with your knife.

• It would have loads of problems

They could threaten other kids and maybe kill other pupils and the teacher could be afraid of the pupils and what's the point of children having knives in school any way what are they going to do with them if you think knives should be allowed in school your insane