• Yes It should

I love poetry and it is not in my school curriculum, which makes me sad. I wish it would be in my community. But I love my Language Arts teacher because he teaches it anyways. But next year I might not get any knowledge of poetry. I love poetry!! Poetry Should be taught in schools

• Yes it should

Poetry is very important. Poetry is a literature that uses the sounds; rhythms and meaning of the words o describe the world in striking and imaginative ways. Poetry supports literacy, builds community and emotional literacy, builds community and poetry also foster emotional suppleness. Poetry helps every one and builds communities. Poetry also helps babies they get older. Poetry opens venues for speaking and listening. Poetry builds resilience in kids and adults.
    Poetry should be taught in schools for many reasons. In school, kids feel overwhelmed and unable to describe their emotions or there feelings

• Poetry opens up opportunities for kids!

I don't know about you but kids all have different opinions about poetry. Some people hate it and some people love it! If you don't teach kids poetry in school then maybe they just had a job opportunity fly past (see the poetry I used in there)! I hope you understand. It's just this happened to me in highschool

• Yasss it opens your mind up

Poetry is kinda fun and it's sooo deep. It gives you a glimpse into other people's minds and teaches you about the world around you in a whole new way. It can give you insight that probably evaded you when reading from a textbook or some other source. It fosters social and emotional learning, and can strengthen and deepen your understanding of the metaphorical language:)

• Absolutely fo shizzle

So many of us listen to music and poetry is just like music. We can find poetry that speaks to us and it will allow us to express ourselves. It allows us to learn about other cultures as well. I think it also gave me a much better understanding of figurative language such as similes and idioms, etc...

• Poetry should be taught

Poetry is an important aspect in schools and something which is valuable to learn – 60% of students involved in a survey thought that poetry was significant in the English school curriculum. Poetry is an essential method of developing students’ understanding of various writing techniques such metaphorical language, personification and similes. This helps them to recognise how and where to use these techniques in their own writing because they have a reference point of where it is used correctly. It increases the students’ knowledge of the English language. Another reason why poetry should be at the heart of the English curriculum is because, by involving themselves in poetry, students increase their vocabulary so it is more varied.

• Its bad ass nigga

Poetry is so cool it expresses our feelings and whoever say its dumb and stupid then your wrong even you people who say its useless and dumb without poetry there would be no music and no lyrics in this world. So dont be a hater and say it suck ok.

• Poetry Should be Taught

Poetry should be taught in schools for many reasons. In school, kids feel overwhelmed and unable to describe their emotions or there feelings.

• Poetry Should be Taught

• Ghbhbbhbnb hbhg hghbh huhhhu huh

H;hah gggh ghg hghgh h hah ghgghg hg hg hghg h gh gghfg ghg h gh g b v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v vv v v v v v v v

• Poetry should be organic:

I feel like, in theory, poetry could be a useful alternative method for teaching themes and writing in an interesting way, but I think schools are taking the wrong approach; many advantages mentioned by the other side if students are just being dragged along, with no interest for the topic coming from themselves.

I'll start with the main argument I see in favor of teaching poetry: That it is a way for students to express themselves. If that's the case why *force* students to learn poetry? I feel that students should be able to gauge for themselves whether or not *they* feel that they can express themselves through poetry. For instance, while I might feel that I can express my emotions easilly through music, I do not feel the same way about poetry. Especially since students can be encouraged to write poetry without everyone having to be forced to do it with grades as an incentive. Some people also say that poetry is enjoyable for some, and I ask so what? They can read poetry on their own, there's nothing stopping them from doing that, and clearly a lot of students dislike poetry, so I'm not really sure that the opposing side can keep that advantage.

There might be some argument for that it helps your writing, but if students aren't motivated, if they don't try, then how much would it improve their writing? I know a student who wrote a poem called "poem foam" (the latter word pronounced to rhyme with poem), where clearly the only objective was to satisfy the requirements for the grade.

Anyways, while I think poetry can be good, I don't think students should be forced to do it for grades.

• It has no significance

Poetry gives basically zero and I mean ZERO skills other than "you can read good". JUST READ A BOOK it gives a student SUCH A BETTER range of learning. Plus books are a ton of a lot more interesting than a 15 line snore fest about a leaf falling to the ground. Seriously though why is it even a debate that poems are important? They suck

• Irrelevant to further life

I don't see the point whype poetry is mandatory to learn. It doesn't seem to have a point. In my honest opinion the just put poetry in the middle of the school year and cram it down your throat. So no it should not be mandatory. Better off being a school club or something.

• Poetry should NOT be taught

No Poetry should not be taught, While it may be interesting it isn't really used in everyday life and learning it is pointless and it will just waste students time.
    90% of students don't even enjoy learning poetry.,m
    We need to ask ourselves a questions.
    Is poetry really important to learn?

• Defo no no

Being taught poetry is useless since it doesn't do anything to help us. All poetry is, is feelings and emotions the writer feels when writing. Don't you think that poetry is a waste of time, sine it just talks about the writer! At least they could make it interesting, and not about themselves. Like you could describe something else

• Defo no no

• Poetry is useless

Not only does poetry have no practical application but also it like the rest of English language arts is subjective, so if a certain teacher just happens to hate a certain student they can fail them and the student cant argue against it since there isn't simply a right and wrong answer

• Poetry is not useful in life.

The purpose of going to school is to prepare you for life. Poetry does not prepare you in any way. Also, many students don't even enjoy it, so their is no clear reason to teach it. People claim it "opens up your soul" and strange stuff like that, but that isn't the job of school and it only helps a select few.

• There are more important subjects to learn in school rather than poetry.

Poetry should not be mandatory because while poetry may be interesting, it is not really needed for the workforce or for everyday life which is the education system's main goal. Being an amazing poet isn't going to get you anywhere in life unless people notice you. Being able to understand themes of poems or ballads isn't going to get people very far in their lives.