• Sure, why not?

Poker machines are called one-armed bandits for a reason. They are pretty much fraud disguised as a game. They should be banned to protect the people from getting scammed by the casinos. They are also physiologically manipulative and exploit people's addictions in order to turn a profit for the casinos.

• It is making people poor

The average problem gambler loses $12,000 each year and there are 330,000 problem gamblers out there that lose their money everyday
    It should not be banned but just maybe we only have a certain amount of machines in certain places so people can learn to control themselves would be Great.

• Gambling is an addictive tool allowing the strong and powerful to prey on the weak

There are many people (myself included) who are not vulnerable to the addictive qualities of gambling and in particular pokies.
    But many are and in championing free choice for responsible adults is sidestepping the fact that for many gambling taps into a part of them that is not free choice - the compulsive and addictive part. A just society can never tolerate allowing the strong to prey on the weak, profiting from their vulnerability. We already recognize this with drugs so its not a new argument. Pokies are a scourge that need to be eradicated.

• It's a cancer

In every corner of every street there is is pokkies and it's the only place thats open till 4 am even 6 am on Friday and Saturday in Chatswood NSW
    And it's so easy to get into a VIP lounge (VIP!!!! Nothing VIP about it)
    So they Close bottle shops at 10 pm and you can get booze at the VIP place till 6 am the following following day ! Somebody give me a brain please.
    Also to exclude yourself from a gambling you have to do it one by one !!! Why isn't there a way of excluding oneself from gambling in all clubs in the state !?
    And why there is a maximum of 36 months why isn't there an unlimited ban from gambling and why isn't there a card that you have to obtain in order to gamble ? And if you ban yourself you simply can't get that card and why gambling machine are easily accessible why isn't it separated with a gate and a security???
    Why why why why
    They want that money badly that the government is happy even if thousands are losing there minds / families/ suiciding/ and etc

• Yes get rid of them

My life is in shambles, after my father received a good sized pay out from retiring from his work the world was his oyster however at this stage in life I was hooked on the poker machines and as a result between all my pay checks and his retirement pay out I lost close to a million dollars and there is no getting that money back. My life is ruined.

• Get rid of them and bring back entertainment

Pokies belong in casinos not every pub on the corner. There is no nightlife anymore as it doesn’t bring “record profits”. What’s even worse as a smoker, the only smoking area in 80% of venues is the pokie area, it’s where I picked up the habit by forcing me to play. If pubs and clubs are worried they won’t survive without machines, Maybe they need a history book.

• Pokie machines are designed to destroy lives

My son is an addict it has ruined him i was an addict for thirty years and then luckily i learned how to beat them. My wife is addicted. I know they are addictive i worked as a registered psychologist for thirty five years and was a gambling counselor aswell

• Get rid of them and bring back real entertainment

Get rid of the EFTPOS - there is no limit on how many times you can take out $200 which is a disgrace. There used to be a $400 per day limit but WHY HAS THAT DISAPPEARED? People's lives are ruined because of the greed of Poker Machine Operators. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Bring back Live Bands, even Bingo, bring people together instead of watching sad faces in lonely worlds of mesmerizing bleakness.

• Life destroying for many people

I play pokies and its destroyed my life, i think about suicide quiet regularly. I lose money everyday, i have nothing, ebverything gone in pokies, we dont need them in nsw. I see business people playing, welfare people, pensioners, people unemployed playing trying to double the dole. We dont need them

• Yes they are very bad

I've been playing pokies for the past 10years I have lost over half a million dollers I have officially quit but after what I've seen people playing pokies while leaving there children in the car not enough money to eat I highly recommend there should be a restriction on how much people can spend enough is enough

• You can ban yourself or face a $550 fine

If you feel you have a problem their is a program called self exclusion. This allows you to still enter the premises but effectively bans you from the gaming area of the club or pub in the premises you originally went to and surrounding and partnering premises as well. This is to ensure that gambling addicts can get the help they need. It is compousley for clubs to offer this service if you ask for it. See clubsafe

• Freedom to bet.

If you don't like poker machines, don't gamble on them. If there are gambling addicts, the government should fund more addiction treatment programs from the taxes raised from poker machines. Normal, moderate gamblers should have the freedom to gamble responsibly. If poker machines are to be banned then why not ban cigarettes or alcohol.

• Poker machines make our lives possible.

The money that goes into the poker machines goes straight to the government, making our lives possible. We wouldn't have the education we have now if poker machines weren't here. People can be addicted to these things but it helps them relief stress, so think of it this way... Its for our the generations to come.

• No government should be able to ban such things.

Gambling is kind of stupid when you use a little logic. However, the last time I checked there is no law anywhere against people wasting their money. With the absence of the ability to make bad decisions, no one would have the ability to make good decisions. There would only be the choice to submit to another.

• Gambling is not bad.

Poker machines should not be banned in Australia because there is nothing wrong with gambling. Some people take it to extremes and develop a gambling addiction, but the same could be said for a lot of things. In moderation though, it is not a bad thing and actually helps some people to relax and relieve stress.

• No, they shouldn't

I really don't think there is anything inherently evil in regards to poker, poker machines, or gambling in general. Sure, there are some people who can't control themselves, but banning a poker machine will not save that person from themselves. Gambling generates money for the state, and is a good thing.

• Poker machines offer more entertainment.

While the debate on gambling rages on across the globe as more and more facilities are opened up to gambling one should not deter from the amusement of the many to the downfall of the few. Poker machines can offer entertainment to those who use them properly. There is no major difference between a poker machine and a pinball machine except you are rewarded for playing the poker machine if you win big!

Anonymous says2013-03-19T20:09:32.707
Poker Machines should not be banned in Australia. Australians work hard for their money and they should be free to do anything they want with it even if it involves gambling it away. While gambling leads to social problems restrictions on personal freedom should be avoided because citizens of Australia should be free to do whatever they want with what they earned as long as it doesn't harm another individual. I think the government can regulate and tax the gambling industry but cannot ban it outright.