Should police officers be held to a higher standard?

• Don't be a hypocrite

I can not count the number of times I have seen police flip on their lights to go through an intersection only to see they are going to lunch, and I have several relatives that are officers who laugh about the number of tickets that they get out of by flashing their badge. If you want the respect of the people officers that break the law, even minor offenses, should be reprimanded and if need be terminated.

With great power comes great responsibility

• Politicians and cops

Yes they absolutely should be they may enforce the law but that does not give them to disobey the law both cops and politicians I've been getting away with too much for far too long it is sickening what is they get away with I heard about this cost in Syracuse New York that was given something of a slap on the wrist for rape of a child and all he got was suspension without pay and probation Justice does not Prevail in this country because of the corruption in the system in that sickening bastard will go back on the fucking Force tell me if that's Justice or not many of the crimes they commit on a daily basis what the politicians are just as fucking bad if not worse sold us down the river Lookout the last piece of the fucking puzzle is coming soon and when that happens you better be well fucking armed armored and to be able to hack drones our freedoms have been eroded for absolutely no security unless you have Ben secured on your person well armored well trained you are not secure you are at the mercy of those who wish to secure you and if they decide they don't like you for whatever reason guess what's going to happen the more people are armed the less corruption in government there is the more people have their liberties and rights the more individual freedom the American person has and the more restriction on government that we have and law enforcement the citizens of this country should have control over their own lives without much need for government Running their home run their business and run their life conglomerate corporate interest runs this country with a sword for a tongue a bankrupt the American people they've bankrupt the country and given way to the erosion of American peoples liberties freedoms and rights

• Police officers should be held doubly accountable for their actions.

When swearing the oath to uphold the law and accepting a badge and a gun, the officer is doubly responsible for his actions, and if he breaks the law his punishment should be double that of a civilian. He has chosen to take on a way of life, not just a career, and he is responsible for enforcing the laws that he has sworn to protect. The position of power that he possesses cannot be toyed with. We cannot have criminals enforcing the law...It just cannot be. Therefore, I believe that if a cop gets caught breaking the law, his punishment should be extremely harsh, because he has not only committed a crime, he has broken a sworn oath and should not be allowed to hold others accountable for their actions when he is doing the same thing and being paid with my tax dollars and hiding behind a badge and a code of silence. He has no honor. I do not wish to be chastised by someone who is not practicing what they preach. I certainly don't want to pay their salary and then be locked up or given a speeding ticket from someone who is crooked too.

• Yes they should be heald to a higher standard because they have a gun and the law in their hands

I have been in the military and if we break the law their is a PRISON made for soldiers . There is no such things for cops . Not only that the common defense i hear being used for offiers doing things that seem to get civilans hurt is " I want to make it home at night and I was fearful for my life so i discharged my weapon . If we did that everytime we were scared tehre would be a lot of dead folks around because fear & danger is part of the job . Also If we mess up especially with video showing we did something wrong we litterally can be used to recruit for people whom hate America. We cant make bad mistakes and only get slapped on the wrist . Cops Work for teh public . Their jobs are PEACE officers not trainne killers which is teh FIRST thing EVERY soldier learns in teh miliary so they have a higher obligation to be mindful in the executionj of their duties . If they can do their jobs indescriminatly then are tehy not just soldiers ? U might as well jsut let us police

• Watchword should be beyond reproach

I was taught as a child that as they are the public face of the law, they need to be squeeky clean. If i attack someone with three mates and injure them we go to jail as thugs, the police are rarely punished and they cover for each other, this is fundamentally wrong as they represent the law, instead corruption is the norm and they are happier defending immoral banks and corporations than the public they represent, in my opinion they have no soul.

• We need to take our country back

The police and our government think they can rule us by fear. We need to stand up and take our great nation back. Governments should fear its people, not the other way around. Our politicians are breaking the law and not being held accountable. They get off Scott free while we get beat and bullied by a gang of thugs that think they are above the law. This needs to stop. Now's the time to fight back. We stand together and we will be triumphant.

• Yes, they should be held to a higher standard.

I base my position on the tenants of the 14th amendment to the US Constitution which guarantees, among other things, that "no person shall be denied 'life, liberty or property' without due process of law." three things of which LEOs have the power and ability to deny citizens "instantaneously," as part of their authority. The only "due process of law," is, often, a "brain impulse" in the LEO's head. LEOs can deprive citizens of their lives (by shooting them), of their liberty (by arresting them), and their property (asset seizure and forfeiture).

Can anyone name any other civilian profession where the employee gets to make those decisions in an instant? Judges, juries, etc. have and take the time to ponder their decisions. LEOs don't have that luxury. I'm not saying LEO's should not have that authority or require clearance to make those instantaneous decisions when needed/warranted. However, they need to be held personally accountable for all their actions and, thus, to a much higher standard.

• Police Would be Hypocritical.

If police are going to enforce laws they must also follow them at all times. What credibility does a police officer who has been charged with domestic violence have when arriving as the on-duty officer at a Domestic Violence call? None! More importantly what kind of empathy will he have for the victim? Most likely s/he can relate to the offender more than the victim. There are many examples like these that strongly suggest police officers should be held to higher standards. The best example is the crime of perjury. Joe/Jane Citizen can be charged and convicted of perjury and continue his/her career. Once a police officer is convicted of perjury his/her career is over because s/he would be useless in a criminal proceeding. If a police officer is allowed to violate the very laws s/he arrests people for, s/he is a hypocrite.

• Yes, Simple. Police officers have authority to arrest the citizens (who actually hired and pay them, remember?) They are trained to a higher standard.

They should be held to that higher standard because of the responsibility the public has trusted them with. They probably should be paid better for that expectation and be a professional by day 1. Existing department policies should be enforced consistently. Anything to discourage less tolerant/less patient people from applying.

• They're examples, upholders of law...

Yes, everyone makes mistakes, everyone can be pushed to the limits of patience. Police officers get inundated with all of the ugliness of our society daily, this would effect anyone negatively, and begin to color their outlook.
    This is why they must be held to a higher level. They must be able to overcome that. People rarely understand what they don't actually experience for themselves. They see the officer reacting in that moment. They do not see what nuances/experiences that color the reaction in that moment.
    Of course, an officer is only human, we all are. Mistakes will happen. That is why we must endeavor to appoint officers that show the likelihood of overcoming the negative energy they will be exposed to in the course of their job.
    If you treat a police officer as a soldier, then you get a soldier. There is a reason they are also called peace officers.

• Same standard perhaps?

What is the definition of "higher standard"?

If it is a crime to go 30mph, should an on or off duty officer be held to 25mph? If driving DWI is a crime and the per se limit in most states is 0.08, should officers to held off duty to 0.03? If convicted of DWI, if it is the standard punishment in one jurisdiction to be a year probation, should an officer suffer jail when others do not? The premise of a higher standard is overblown. They should be held to the same standard so if caught in a crime they pay like anyone else.

Higher? Not hardly.

Same? By all means.

• Why change what we have now?

In society now, we've seen police officers getting more and more corrupt. Christopher Dorner shot those police officers because they were being derogatory to him and berating him and was fired when he tried to bring it to light. He was fired because he was trying to stand up for what he knew was legal and right. I know this example can be twisted but the message is clear. Cops are getting more and more corrupt. Nowadays...I don't think I'd trust them. Why give them more right to exploit the system?

• No, The Standards Are High Enough

The standards are already in place and they just need to be rigorously enforced on all occasions. Sure, there are some problems with some police departments, but that's because those police departments are broken. Many cases, those broken departments can be fixed with personnel changes, not new laws and regulations. If a police offer breaks the law, they lose their badge and go to jail. The system can work.

Posted by: rpr
  • Higher Standard Needs Definition

I'd say they should be held to a higher standard, if someone can succinctly define what that higher standard should be. As far as the current debate is concerned, there is no unified theory of what constitutes a "higher standard." As such, it seems most equitable to hold them to the same standards as other citizens, not an ill-defined "higher standard"

• Higher Standard Needs Definition

• Higher Standard Needs Definition

• Higher Standard Needs Definition

• Everyone should be.

EVERYONE should be held to a high standard. If you think police need to be held to a higher standard because other people's lives are in their hands, do you think that parents should be held to a higher standard? Therefore, if a parent is a criminal, violent, has a bad temper, etc, their kids should be taken away?

• Power Hungry Officers

From past experience with police officers from myself and those of my friends, there seems to be a common theme in the police officers themselves feeling like they are able to do what they want. Police officers are human and have the same capability of committing crimes yet when many are seen breaking these laws many people believe that as they are a police officer it is not as bad as if a normal citizen did it. Im not saying ALL police officers are like this but the minority that are hungry for the power of having a that authority gives them the impression that they are higher than the law. I have witnesses many times police officers breaking the law but when approached become irritated and rude. I think they should be respected but respected on the same level that you would give to any other person. Also, many news stories support the fact that police officers feel they are above the law but the judges seem to be more lenient to them just because they are police officers which to me doesn't seem right.