Should politicians let their religious views influence their agendas?

• Yes, but...

It wouldn't really be possible for it to be another way, and they'd probably find a way around even if it wasn't allowed (calling gay marriage unconstitutional instead of saying it's an abomination or something for example). That said, I don't like the idea of legislating morality and religion and it would be nice to see an atheist or muslim candidate gain traction...

• Of course they should

A politicians should act according to what she thinks is true, regardless of WHY she thinks its true. It would be inconsistent to believe something is true, but then to behave as if it weren't true. There are some religious beliefs that have a bearing on politics. For example, some religions think life is valuable and ought to be protected. If that is the case, then politicians who subscribe to that religious belief ought to support legislation that protects life.

• Yes but not in a dogmatic way

Our religious beliefs can shape our values. Our values effect our political positions. That being said, there are certain areas that a politician cannot legislate even where he has a disagreement. He cannot demand that only a certain religion be recognized or that you must obey everything in the Bible if not a Christian. However, he does have to vote consistent with his faith, as all people should.

• Religion and politics should not mix together, because it could lead to bad policies.

Politicians should not mix their religious views in their agendas, because it can lead to bad policies. In a free society, people have different views on what is right and wrong. This means that there is never going to be a complete agreement among the people of a constituency. Politicians represent these constituencies and letting their religious views influence them can reduce the level of freedom an individual in that particular constituency enjoys.

Posted by: N4rrGet
  • Yes, politicians should behave accordingly with their religious beliefs because that defines them as a person.

I think that it would be near impossible to expect someone's behavior to not be affected by their belief system. And, one's religious views can be a big part of this system. I think that asking someone to behave, (be it at work, home, school, or wherever) without taking their religious views into account is asking for the impossible and it's asking that person to be someone who they are not. Politicians' agendas should be expected to be influenced by their religious views. We, as the people who elect them, have a choice to put these officials into office, or not. But, at least we know where they stand as human beings.

Posted by: MohaI0v35
  • I support politicians using their religious views to influence their agendas because it's not realistic to think they would not use it.

As much as people say that politicians should not allow their religious beliefs to be a part of their influence, it is absurd to tell them to turn off their religion.

Almost anything we do has either a direct influence or underlying influence from religion. It would not be right to ask politicians not to. Actually we would just be lying to ourselves if we thought they weren't.

Posted by: SleekTom
  • A person's religious beliefs are a key part comprising one's views.

We elect politicians generally because we agree with their viewpoints and want the same things accomplished. For some people, their religious views have a profound impact on their views and, subsequently, their agendas. To ask a politician to exclude their religious beliefs in setting their agenda would be to ask them to act as if they were a different person.

Posted by: A Shelton
  • Religion is supposed to be a guiding value of your life, so it should influence your politics as well.

Why would you have a religion if you did not allow it to influence the choices that you make on a daily basis. If I believe that there is a God who tells me to do things a certain way, then I most certainly should be applying that to my work in whatever I do. The work of a politician is to make or advance policies that they believe are beneficial, therefore their religion should influence them. This in no way runs counter to the separation of church and state because you can't expect someone to remove their beliefs from their actions when they are involved in politics.

Posted by: MariaR
  • Separating Any Religion From STATE

I will express my views as a Christian. Even the Bible was explicit in these issues. In the book of Exodus, Moses was not chosen as the high priest but Aaron. Their roles were different-Moses for Administration and Aaron for Religious duties. The laws for religious activities were different from the ones for administration. As humans, we are influenced by our environment. By environment, I mean sights, sounds and location. There is no one on this Earth who can argue that they are not influenced by their ENVIRONMENT; and so anyone who follows any ideology will naturally lean toward that ideology for guidance. And I feel we should forgive them. That been said, I strongly believe that anyone's religion is personal to that individual and must not be imposed on others. RELIGION is based on FAITH while politics is based on FACTS. Politics can be amended while Religion is cast in stone-Adherence to religion on the other-hand, is not cast in stone. To religious adherents, their religious beliefs may assist them obey laws of the state, at the same time, non-religious individuals may not need any religion to assist in obedience to the laws of the STATE.
    Laws should be made for everyone regardless of their beliefs. The fact that I disagree with anyone religiously does not make that individuals a bad person.

Posted by: AMG
  • Separation of Church and State...Period.

I don't want anyone's religious views forced on me. Especially by enacting laws based upon religious views. Most especially by enacting laws that control my body and it's ability to bring forth children. I decide on where and with whom to have children. Then I will be best able to plan and provide for them over an 18 year period.

• Our Constitutional Rights Decide Our Laws - Not Our Religion.

It is true that politicians will almost always allow their religious views to effect their decision making, however that does not make it right. Right wing believers *in most but not all cases* believe that abortion and homosexuality should remain illegal because it goes against their beliefs - yet the constitution does not state who has control over these topics so that leaves it up to the states not the fed and even in the case of the states - I believe they don't have the right to control a woman's body or decide who can share a bed. Where as the left *usually but not always* holds belief in high charities and fairness. These powers yet again are not left to them in the Constitution yet because of what they believe religiously, politicians deem it to be their job to control these things. Over all both sides are guilty of this act that goes against what our founding fathers established for us. Food for thought.

• Religion is illogical

Any religion is fine when practiced in your own time and only when it affects yourself. When religion is used as a decision making process, the decision becomes one-sided, solely based on a moral value set by a non-proven being. Politics and what is good for the masses should be based on logic and compromise. When you add religion to the mix, it becomes either that way or no way.

• Politics and religion DO NOT mix!

In the current 2012 Presidential Election, there are rumors that Mitt Romney, a Mormon, will take away the rights of anyone who is not Christian. Politics, of course, are all about lies. Whether this is true or not, it still proves that politicians should not let religions interfere.

• Politicians should not let their religious views influence their agendas, because it does not necessarily represent what the people want.

The primary goal of a politician should be to take action that represents the interest of the people that he/she is representing. As soon as personal biases, religious or otherwise, come into play, it defeats the entire purpose of a representative system. Besides, separation of church and state is a concept that needs to be embraced.

Posted by: Iewie2cute
  • I do not believe that a politician's religious views should influence their agenda, because I believe in the separation of church and state.

While politicians are certainly free to hold religious views, I believe that allowing them to influence political agendas is a mistake. Too many politicians wear their religion on their sleeve, as well, in order to curry favor with religious constituencies. I believe religion should be kept out of politics, as much as possible.

Posted by: BrownDustin82
  • The norms of a country should influence whether or not politics should be secular but, in the U.S., I believe we were founded on separation of church and state, and it should remain this way,

Religion brings many different feelings and emotions which I believe have no place in American politics. We were founded by people who enacted laws to protect people from being required to practice any particular religion and, by using religion to create laws and standards, we are being forced to follow morals that we may not believe in.

Posted by: ObsoleteDamon27
  • No, politicians should not let religious views influence their agendas, because it violates the Constitution, with regards to separation of church and state.

Separation of church and state keeps the dominant religion from influencing government matters/policies. One politician's religious views may conflict with current policies and laws, allowing bias to occur. Laws should be made with logical, rational thinking, not religious beliefs. Countries that let religion influence their government can no longer be democracy.

Posted by: IothBee
  • I believe allowing religious views in politics paves the way for a theocracy.

In many countries, where politicians make policy based on religious views, the rights of the people to choose their own religious views suffer. When religion and politics become too intertwined, you end up with a theocracy, in which religion becomes the basis for all laws. It will no longer be a free country but, instead, a religious state.

Posted by: TangyHarry36