• Marriage is a personal affair. Not a legal, government or religious one.

Well I am very sure that 99% of us would not practice polygamy even after it's legalization unless it is for very special reasons. The State should not assume everyone is monogamous. The thing about everyone would be married to each other is utter nonsense. A good way to control polygamy (which might not very necessary, but just for safety) is to make sure that if a man wished to marry a second wife he requires approval from his first. I really believe governments have been too harsh on this. If governments ban this for reasons of spousal abuse, I shall inform them that it also takes place in monogamous families and maybe they would like to ban marriage.

• Hi I'm European woman and I want to marry with a man already married

Nge10
    Why would the government want to make families criminals? It doesn't make sense to make people who love each other and want to be married to each other into criminals. It in no way destroys the sanctity of marriage. It is in fact a man and woman who want to be married to each other. These are people who want to have stable homes and families, people who want to make sure they can provide health care to their loved ones. It is one thing to deny someone from marrying more than one person. It is another to make them criminals. Is there any other reason other than religion that it is illegal? Religion should never, ever have anything to do with the law. Seems like the people who say no are the same people, and use the same argument as the ones who are against gay marriage. A law should never be based on anything other than what is fair and equal to everyone. Religion or religious beliefs should never have any influence on the right to choose who and even how many people should be in a relationship. We don't all practice the same religion, we don't all practice religion, we don't all even believe in God

• Gays can marry?

Let free will reign in the heart of every man and woman. Stop sticking your opinions in others business. If you do than judge yourself first. Many women will be childless because of this gay epidemic. Thus, ladies should mary men of hetrosexual backgrounds even if they are already married. Civilization must go on!

• Gays can marry?

• Freedom to personal and family life

If the people entering into such a relationships are all consenting and are not infringing on other peoples rights, then there should be not objection in law.

Also, by legalising such marriages, the right of inheritance for children born out of such relationships will be protected and the second wife or children will not lose out on assets their father owned, to the first wife and her kids e.G

• A real marriage can withstand the love of others.

The argument against same-sex marriage is that it ruins the "sanctity of marriage". In my opinion, if the marriage and love of other human beings ruins your marriage, chances are that the foundation for your so called "love" was developed on a shaky foundation. True love is one where the participants have so much affection for each other that they feel the need to take their relationship to the next level. It doesn't matter how many participants there are, but what does matter is the quality of that love.

As someone who's gay, I've seen and heard all the arguments against the fact that I deserve to love another human being in that very intimate and emotional way. Though I'm sure that I will never be in a polygamous relationship, let alone a marriage, I personally feel for these individuals who are told that they can't marry just because their love is different. Get a reality check please, it's all the same love! No matter who's in it or how many people are in it, if you believe in God, then you should know that God gave us free will and if you don't or are Agnostic, then you know that nature takes its course, and like it or not, people in these types of relationships are still human beings.

Also, realize that there are many democracies in the world. The democratic process is one in which all people are supposed to have equal rights in a civil society so that truly, each vote counts. I don't care that you're a Christian or another such religion that believes that neither polygamy nor same-sex marriage should be legalized since it goes against your faith. In these religions, there's always the idea that God loves us all. By arguing against the love of others, you're telling us that God doesn't love us, you're making it okay to think that we aren't all human beings in equal footing and you're claiming that we're inferior just because we're different. Love is something that you can't choose, it just happens. The end!

Furthermore, if God loves us all, then He won't care about who we love or how many people we love. If God hates me because I'm gay, then you know what, He can't be my God, since it's such a vindictive and selfish idea to believe that the God who created me is so shallow as to cast out His own creation, even IF being who I am was a choice!

• Equality for all?

The legal arguments for gay marriage are the same for polygamy. To deny one is hatred and bigotry just as the gay people stated. They're argument is now the polygamists. Hypocrisy is something liberals will deny because they're extremely ignorant of their own short comings. Will the left embrace the hatred and bigotry they proclaimed others to have? So far they have.

• Freedom of choice, marry who you love!

As long as they are not harming anyone and everyone is consenting adults...More power to them. What right do we have to try and regulate the lives of others and decide what is moral or immoral for them when they aren't harming anyone? Live and let live I say, lets not dictate how they should live.

• Polygamy as a taboo under Historical Cultural Norm should be done away with!

The ban on polygamy is based solely on european culture, it makes no since fornication and adultery are allowed by polygyny is forbidden., It is a practice that has existed since the earliest recorded human history, and to illegalize it is contrare to the principals of America. It is another example of the attempt of european culture to stamp out the culture of other americans.

• Keep the Government Out of People's Personal lives

I think that men who practice it unjustly, especially in middle-eastern communities, like Afghanistan give a distorted view of the practice. People have have told me that they practice it because the system is so corrupt that the men can do what they want. First of all this is not true, Muslim men are allowed to practice polygamy according to Sharia law, but this requires they treat all women fairly. Further, even if this is was the cause, it is still does not justify a prohibition of the practice or a reason not to legalize it. Corruption and old-fashioned patriarchal societies, which have historically treated women unfairly, may cause polygamy, but this does not mean that polygamy causes corruption or oppression of women. Historically, the model for polygamy can be taken as somewhat sexist, in this sense that there were and still are societies where men take women as property. However, the sexism in these cultures would have existed, and in fact, persisted, even when polygamy was outlawed. Blaming polygamy as the cause of oppression is wrong; there may be a correlation, but this does not imply causation. What really needs to be done in the case of polygamy is for it to be modernized, just as how divorce law was modernized to prevent women from being unfairly treated in monogamous marriages. Also, the government should not dictate how people run their personal family life. Our society idolizes a family with a monogamous couple, and our emphasis on alternative family lifestyles such as polygamy, skews our notion of what is really important. What is important is loving parents, not how many. The media has unjustly biased our opinion of these families because terrorists like Osama Bin Laden and criminals like Warren Jeffs practice it, and their stories are what people point to when supporting the government's prohibition. Again, the problem is that both of these men were fundamentalists and the culture with which they were associated was already archaic in its treatment of women. A modern version of a polygamous family is none of the government's business unless harm is being done to another person. There are monogamous families that are abusive and polygamous families that are not. Categorically outlawing one is a severe invasion of privacy and serves to bias our opinion of people whose lifestyle choices differ from own. Although I am democrat and support most of Barack Obama's politics, I think it is incredibly unfair that people supported him in 2008 just because his personal life meets up to our puritanical ideal. After all, his politics and policies are not much different than Bill Clinton, and yet the latter was impeached on grounds of his indiscretion. Can you imagine if Bill Clinton was a polygamist? Further, it is unfair that because of the association with Mormons and polygamy, Mitt Romney, as a Mormon, was frowned upon by some voters. We should vote based on policy and issue, not a politician's personal life, which really should be none of our business anyway. The government needs to spend more time fighting terrorism, dealing with gun control and protecting peoples LIVES than wasting our taxpayer dollars on invading the private lives of people suspected of "polygamy" because of their lifestyle choices. People should be allowed to live with who they want and make contracts with each other without the government intrusion. If a polygamous family files for tax-breaks and the government does not want to grant, fine, but they should be sued for tax-fraud, not convicted and incarcerated for polygamy, which costs the government much more money anyway. Creating a modern, legalized version of polygamy as an alternative lifestyle where all parties consent would go a long ways to upholding First Amendment Rights to Freedom of Religion in the case of the Mormon. Further, not only would it show separation of church and state, but also separation of "popular lifestyle" and state. Taxes and tax breaks might be a slight issue, but if people have to support a large family (of spouses and possibly children), tax beaks would be good, and probably would not be much more complicated than a series of divorces, re-marriages, and child-custody battles, all of which do much more harm to children than some polygamous marriage. Finally, I would like to note that I use Polygamy to mean a marriage consisting of multiple spouses, and I do not think it should matter if the spouses are men, women, transsexuals, hermaphrodites, etc. It is THEIR private life and the government should not intrude. This is not to suggest that I equate gay marriage to polygamy, but I do think that the government has unjustly invaded the privacy of gay couples in the past as much as it as unjustly invaded and invades the privacy of polygamous families. Whether or not legal recognition is eventually granted, which would more less come down to an issue of taxes, we should at least decriminalize the practice.

• Polygamy shouldn't be legalized, because it denies the sanctity of marriage and normal Christian living.

Polygamy, or the practice of having more than one spouse, is not a Christian way to live life. It denies the sanctity of marriage, and it is not a healthy way to live. In our culture, in America, it would be life-shattering to most people. I realize other cultures are different, and that polygamy would be viewed differently, elsewhere. But, this doesn't make the practice, itself, right.

Posted by: ToyMatt
  • Polygamy is completely wrong, because marriage should be between one man and one woman only.

The only evidence I need to give on this matter is what it says in the Bible. Or, one could just ask the majority of people how they feel marriage should be viewed, even if they weren't from a religious background. I mean, it really isn't that hard to explain just how most see it, which is marriage equals two people, not several.

Posted by: ladoblevida
  • Polygamy is harmful to the family structure and to society and should not be permitted except in cases of religious tolerance.

It is well known by psychologists, and the community at large that polygamy is not a healthy family structure. It causes jealousy between the parties of the same sex that are sharing a life partner, causes confusion for children as to what love is, and creates a demeaning aspect for all woman in the society. Finally, men and women are created at an almost equal rate, and if polygamy was legalized and became the norm many men would be left w/out a woman to have a family with.

Posted by: daveyxh
  • I Support Toleration of Polygamous Relationships, But Not Legalization of Polygamous Marriages

If polygamous marriages are legalized, then how many wives would a man be able to legally take? Is a limit even necessary, or can a man marry 100+ wives if he wants to or "loves them all"? What about women? Would women be able to take more than one husband. If men can take more than one wife? What if everyone becomes married to a bunch of people who are married to a bunch of other people, who are also married to everyone else? In such cases, how would the government give benefits/privileges? I understand people should be free to choose how to live for themselves; I consider myself fairly liberal in most cases, as I do support gay marriage and don't think that polygamy is "a danger to society" or anything taboo. But although I support toleration of polygamous relationships, I do not think polygamous marriages should be legally recognized. The only way marriage could ever be legally functional is if it is between two consenting adults.

• Bad psychological health that almost certainly will lead to criminal actions.

To me it seems that there are specific things that are distinctly understood by people. One is that there are some roles in a person's life that needs to be filled by one person. Man is designed in such a way that if we want to satisfy a mate, we must give them our all and vise versa. You cannot deny this fact, it is in our nature and DNA. This is why so many marriages fail because somebody breaks this natural law of marriage or love and the lover gets hurt. So far this is no reason to keep polygamy illegal; but, if you provoke someone, they are likely to respond with violence and other illegal activity. Also to give one man this power of more than one wife is actually psychologically bad for his health. The issue of greed arises if you are religious or not. The more greedy he gets, the worst his psychological health which can lead to physical behavior to protect his pride and possessions. This can lead to the abuse to his female counterparts both physical and mental.

• Polygamy should not be legalized, because it opens too many people up to abuse.

Polygamy is usually a way for men to abuse multiple women or young girls, like in the cases of the LDS men who were recently tried for this. I do not think that being married to multiple people is mutually beneficial to all parties involved, and can be another way to oppress and abuse people.

Posted by: LongShawn93
  • No, because even monogamy already causes enough problems in this country.

People have trouble keeping one wife happy, and half of all marriages end in a messy divorce. If people were allowed to have more than one partner, this would just make the problem worse. There are already enough children and others whose lives are damaged by divorce with the rules the way they are. It does not need to be made any worse.

Posted by: R04chGrov
  • I do not believe that polygamy should be legalized because I think it is immoral.

It is my belief that polygamy is immoral and should not be legalized. Children are better off in a home with one father and one mother. I also think that polygamy demeans the status of women since no one woman in a polygamous relationship receives the affection and station in life that a woman in a traditional marriage enjoys.

Posted by: R0d0Ferdy
  • I strongly oppose legalizing polygamy, because it completely goes against the key rules of marriage.

I believe that a strong factor in creating a healthy long-lasting marriage is being faithful to one's partner. Trust and faithfulness are what keep couples together. Polygamy goes completely against this. It has been reported that in most polygamy-style relationships, one or more partners feel insignificant and uncomfortable with the arrangement. If a husband really loves his wife, he will be true and faithful to her, and will not need multiple partners.

Posted by: FinBIond