Should polygamy be legalized in the United States?

• Population trends, human genetics and the Constitution all support polygamy.

The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America requires that freedom of lifestyle choice not be infringed upon by the Federal Government. Polygamy is a lifestyle choice. This has been upheld by a Utah Supreme Court ruling recently which struck down a provision of Utah's cohabitation law which prohibited cohabitation by poly-amorous families.

Contrary to popular belief, polygamy is usually NOT about sexual experience and it is not a sexual practice or orientation. It is a lifestyle in which multiple partners enter into an arrangement of marriage. Most polygamist families consist of one man and multiple wives. Those wives are almost always prohibited from engaging in sexual activity with each other.

But, religious concerns aside, this is something which should be legalized simply because the numbers make it a necessity. One hundred years ago, sociologists noticed a population trend worldwide. It seems that women outnumbered men by 1.3 to one. In other words, for every hundred men on the planet, there were 130 women. Today, that number has increased to 1.75 to one. For every 100 men there are now 175 women.

Because of human genetics, this is a trend that is never going to change. In fact, it is estimated that, assuming the human species survives, in less than one million years, there will no longer be males of our species on the planet. Women will have to figure out how to reproduce either asexually or through some medical procedure.

The point is, if we limit marriage to one man and one woman, there will be a lot of women who will NEVER have the opportunity to experience marriage. Marriage is about mutual love for one another. Every woman deserves to have the opportunity to experience love (and, yes, sexual pleasure) from a man.

No matter how we look at it, the definition of marriage is going to have to change one way or another. If we don't allow for polygamy, then we are going to HAVE to allow for homosexual marriages. All those women who will not have the opportunity to have a "legally sanctioned" marriage because of the lack of men will be forced into a lesbian relationship as that is all that will be available to them. This then raises the concerns of the religious right concerning the morality of same sex marriages.

In other words, this problem is NOT going to go away. In fact, it is only going to get worse over time. We need to have real debate and discussion over this issue in the United States and see if we truly believe in equality for everyone or if we only pay lip service to that concept.

• Polygamy yes Polyandry no

Polygamy is fine as long as the male loves each one equally, however polyandry is just a women giving herself to multiple men (which is disgusting). Legalize polygamy but definitely not polyandry. The bible is fine with it since its not cheating since they are both your wives. Raising children would be easier and household income would go up and we would need less houses as well.

• Love is limitless!

Just like the title said, Love IS limitless! You shouldn't put any strict on who's in love with who! I don't care about religious purposes, 'cause it's only a book, and it may or may not be true to what their "God" says! If the group that wants to get married all together, knows each other, and knows that they can support to each other, and work together as one HUGE family, LET 'EM BE! Don't use crime cases as an excuse to outlaw it because of the people that didn't do anything good to the family, IT HAPPENS TO ANY KIND OF FAMILY! Not just a polygamy family, ANY KIND OF!
    Just think about it. Let's put a good nice gentleman between 2 sweet girls, and within the law that says that you can't marry more than one at a time, you're just ending up with a choice of making one happy, and the other sad and lonely! I DON'T WANT THAT! In fact, I HATE MAKING ONE DECISION OR THE OTHER! I HATE seeing one person or the other sad! I want everyone I know to be happy! BUT NO! THE LAW SAYS THAT YOU'RE FORCED TO BREAK SOMEONE'S HEART IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE OF 2 OR MORE!

If I was to marry 2 or more wives, I'd be their servant!
    Let's treat everyone EQUALLY!

• Why not do it?

We are about to legalize within a decade, gay marriage in this nation. Who are we to say what is and is not a "family" after that? One man, multiple women, one woman multiple men? What does it matter any longer? I'd prefer that government be completely marriage neutral, just get out of it, it's none of the government's business but since they refuse to mind their business, equal protection is law. Any couple or more should be able to get married and I don't even just support polygamy for religious people, it should be for all, religious or atheist.

• God allows it!

No Explicit Condemnation: Nowhere in the Bible does God explicitly condemn polygamy, the only "condemnation" being implicit and by example. In fact marriages to additional spouses are considered valid in the Scriptures (Jesus’ lineage did not always go through the first wife). - See more at: http://www.Inplainsite.Org/html/polygamy_in_the_bible.Html#sthash.B1D0aB8f.Dpuf

Regulation of Polygamy: Some laws in the Pentateuch do appear to place God’s stamp of approval on polygamy. For example note the rules and guidelines concerning the treatment of multiple wives (specifically prohibiting ill-treatment of the first wife after a second marriage) and the inheritance of the first born, if he happened to be the son of a less favored, wife.

"If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, or her marital rights, [Exodus 21:10]

If a man have two wives, the one beloved, and the other hated, and they have borne him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the first-born son be hers that was hated;

then it shall be, in the day that he causeth his sons to inherit that which he hath, that he may not make the son of the beloved the first-born before the son of the hated, who is the first-born: [Deuteronomy 21:15-17]

It was an obligation for men to marry their widowed sisters in law and support her family. [Deuteronomy 25:5-10] The point that has to be considered is that the brother could very well already have been married.

When a man married a woman all her relatives became his kinsfolk. The only passages in the OT laws that prohibit polygamous marriages are those that would constitute incest. For example, a man could not marry a woman and her daughter or granddaughter (Leviticus 18:17), a woman and her sister as a rival (v. 18), or a woman and her mother (20:14).

- See more at: http://www.Inplainsite.Org/html/polygamy_in_the_bible.Html#sthash.B1D0aB8f.Dpuf

• Same sex marriage

Will end healthcare problems. By allowing large families of hundreds or thousands of spouses in one family, all will be entitled to benefits. Since it is proven that we can print money for prosperity, the future is limitless! Utopia is here! We have finally solved all the problems. People are euphoric over the Obama economy. At least no one is complaining like the prior Bush economy which was worse than the Great Depression. Even though total employment is lower than before, the stock market is booming. Eventually the only thing we will have to worry about will be the garbage avalanches because everybody will be so busy buying things that the garbage will pile up.

• Polygamy should be legal.

The western culture has always had a bad reputation for not wanting to take responsibility for their relational commitments. How is it that it is okay to have multiple affairs and children without being held responsible for them financially, emotionally, and physically? We must make these men and women responsible for their actions. You have a wife and get another woman pregnant. The wife and the other women should rally behind each other and make him step up to the plate and take care of everybody! The women shouldn't fight each other. They should join forces with each other and make him accountable...
    This is just my view. By the way, I'm a man who has always believed in this. Man.... Handle your business.

• Marriage is a union between people who love each other.

With all the changes of what marriage is, if same sex partners believe that they should be allowed because it's a union between people who love each other then why should it stop there? A union does not have to be between two, it can be between multiple partners that feel the same way

• Mind your own business.

We are a nation based on the principle of truth, justice, and the pursuit of happiness. No one has the right to tell a mentally capable and consenting adult who he or she can and cannot marry. We as a nation need to stop sticking our noses where they don't belong and let people be happy and themselves. If you're gay great, straight wonderful, polygamist super, love thy neighbor and do onto others as you would have them do onto you. Simple but powerful!

• My love is not limited.

I have been in a relationship with my husband and wife for several years. People are afraid of the unknown and make up reasons for it to be wrong. Humans have the ability to love more than one child, sibling, and parent. We are also able to love more than one spouse whether those spouses are at the same time or different times in our lives. It is not just about exploration or sex as some people think. It is about a loving, caring, nurturing and passionate relationship.

My sister wife and I are as committed and in love with each other as we are with our husband. As for children, society has painted such a negative image of something they don't understand. Years ago children of gay parents were treated much worse than they are currently because society changed the opinions and tolerance for people who love who they chose. I read one comment that made me very angry! If my sister wife were to die or become ill we would all mourn and be sad. She is part of us! How dare anyone tell me the love I have for my family is not real.

Biblically there is no reason for it to be morally wrong. In fact check out your Old Testament, people! It would be wonderful if I could legally marry my husband and wife and be able to show the importance of our commitment to the world, but society is too scared of the unknown. Actually they are probably afraid of confronting their true feelings. How many marriages have ended because a spouse became attracted then fell in love with someone else? Many times they still love the spouse, it just becomes a problem because of the lies and secrecy. Our family communicates all the time about feelings and issue we have. Jealousy was a problem at the very beginning, but not anymore. We are a unit we are three as one! Stop being so judgmental. That is reserved for God if you truly believe the Bible and want to use it to hold yourself higher than me. God doesn't just love a person but all of us!

• I do not agree with being married to more than one person at a time.

You should only be married to one person at a time. Having more than one spouse (usually more than one wife) is not fair to the women in the relationship, I feel. I am sure the men enjoy it very much but the way it should be is one on one.

Posted by: 5h4rkEmar
  • I oppose polygamy, because marriage is made for one man and one woman to be united into one unbreakable union, and one flesh.

I am a very spiritual person, and I believe that God meant for marriage to be between a woman and man, to be united and never broken. Marrying more than one woman or man means that you have lusted over another being, aside from your first spouse, which is indicated as adultery in the Bible.

Posted by: IncredibleDenis39
  • I do not believe that polygamy should be legalized in the United States, because this would sanction the practice.

Although polygamy is a practice that has been romanticized on recent television programs, I do not believe that the popular fascination with it should extend to legalization. I think that polygamy is a misogynist practice that lends itself to the abuse of small children and women. Polygamist leaders are notorious for cases of abuse.

Posted by: R Bowen
  • No, it really shouldn't.

Polygamy is an exploration experience, in my opinion. People who practice polygamy, only do it to get sexual pleasure out of it. It's one of those things that are for fun, not to be taken to something as serious as marriage. If someone really does love another person, they wouldn't want to be with anyone else, but them. Having other people that you supposedly "love" goes to show you obviously don't fully love either of them. And when you think about it, if one of the spouses died, the others could just get together, showing that love isn't really expressed in the relationship because they replaced that person quickly. Rather than feeling sadness because that person they said they loved died. Allowing polygamy in marriage is a joke because those people are obviously very immature and clearly don't know what love is. People who practice polygamy really only do it for sexual exploration, not because they are in love with more than one person. As for kids, that's even worse. Any sane person would want their spouse to only have children with them. My opinion here has nothing to do with the Bible because really, it's vague on the whole topic and if God was real he would have been more specific on whether it should or should not be practiced. Stop thinking in terms of a book and think with your mind. The past does not matter because people experimented with polygamy because they didn't know any better. We've evolved enough to see that marriage is for two people who really love each other.

• Degrades Sanctity of Marriage

I am a fundamental Christian. I believe in creationism. Furthermore, I believe all of our world was created by one God and he rules over it all. God's plan is made clear through the Bible. Marriage is simply but specifically between one man and one woman. We are not allowed to transform God's plan nor conform it to accomodate our human lusts and desires, with the notion that it protects some 'human right'. One is good, the other evil. God advises us, and gives us the strength and power, to overcome evil.

• Painful to all parties

Cool website. However polygamy hurts both parties.
    1. Internal family drama is painful
    2. Poverty
    3. Favoritism/ jealousy
    4. Against God's initial plan
    5. We are told in the Bible the best marriages are between one man and one woman
    6. Hurts children
    7. One man cant' care for all

• I oppose polygamy because it seems to have a negative effect on children of these families.

I have watched a couple of documentaries on television that show the behind the scenes life of these families. As I watch these shows all I can see is how the kids seem to have a hard time explaining why their families are the way they are. It just does not seem right that the kids need to be subjected to this type of life.

Posted by: Ch3IGod
  • I oppose the notion of polygamy being legalized because it is morally wrong.

I am against legalizing polygamy in the United States because the act itself goes against the moral fabric of the country. Whether it's a man and a woman, or two people of the same sex committed to each other, that is what marriage is -- love of two. It is immoral to expand that concept to include a person with many spouses.

Posted by: SAugustus
  • No, I do not think that polygamy should be legalized, because it is immoral.

The Bible teaches that one man and woman should live together for their lifetime. By legalizing polygamy, you are contradicting everything that the Bible teaches. By legalizing polygamy, you are teaching the future generations that marriage to one person really does not matter, and that sexual relations with numerous partners is OK. What happened to commitment to one person for the rest of your life? I think it would also create confusion for the children that grow up in those families.

Posted by: babydollxix
  • Nobody should move over

Why polygamy should be illegal:

1. Where is my right to live in my house, with my wife, and nobody else? Nobody should have to move over, because their spouse is cheating on them.

2. Even the largest house, can't house a seriously polygamous marriage, and living apart isnt the best idea around, because it creates just more social instabilities.

3. Im not gay or bisexual and I will not lay in bed with a man.

And finally...

This is my house, and nobody is coming into my house unless that MFer wants to die.

It seems like the dumb turd American liberals don't know when enough violence is enough...

Guess what ?

Any man that I find with my wife, is going to get his head busted open.

You want to legalize reasons to be violent, guess what?

You're going to get the violence, mess with my wife and I'll kill ya.

Quan says2013-06-04T19:47:57.637
Why not? As long as everyone involved consents to the arrangement, the government should not be involved.
Bruinshockeyfan says2014-04-07T21:59:20.807
People who said yes, read the book "under the banner of heaven".