Should poor students be required to work for free lunches?

• No "Free" Lunch

The tax payers pay so it essentially is not free. I do not want your filthy kids receiving lunch for free because you cannot pay. My kids do chores and work around the house to earn an allowance. Your kids should be able to work at the school doing small tasks to earn their food.

• Absolutely not, that's disgusting!

The very idea of making poor children work for free lunches makes my blood boil. It's not the child's fault that they need some help, and in many cases it's not the parent's fault either. Most working families on assistance are breaking their backs trying to do the right thing. Humiliating their children won't help, and may discourage some from signing up for the program, making life that much harder for their children.

• Absolutely not, that's disgusting!

• That would be unfair.

No, of course not! The entire point of free lunches is to give food to students who otherwise can't get enough to eat. Having enough food is a basic human right. Students should not have to work just to be able to get enough food to live. They should be able to focus on school and other things in their lives.

• No, definitely not.

No, I do not think that poor students should be required to work for free lunches. First of all, if they're under 18, it's really not their fault that they are poor. They shouldn't have to work to be able to eat. Plus, I think that this would make it easier for people to find out that they get free lunches, and I'm sure most of them want this to be kept a secret from their friends.

• Every child deserves to have enough to eat.

This is entirely unfair. We're not talking about people who are legally allowed to work here, we're talking about young students. No child should have to go hungry because their family cannot afford to feed them. What if the child is unable to work for whatever reason? Should they starve?